Today I found these plates in the boot...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justintyme

Car
Mercedes Benz w212 E Class
This morning while cleaning out the boot, in the spare wheel well, I found these plates ( see pic's) From the part Nr's, and Google, it seems that they are suspension shim plate's. They look relatively new and unused. If you found them in your car, what would you think about them? Are they used to lift / lower the suspensions? Or are they part of the kit that's included when new suspensions are fitted, and were just surplus to requirements?

Attachments

• Mercedes Suspension Shim Plate IMAG6745[2441].jpg
    Mercedes Suspension Shim Plate IMAG6745[2441].jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Mercedes Suspension Shim Plates IMAG6742[2440].jpg
    Mercedes Suspension Shim Plates IMAG6742[2440].jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 65
Some plastic parts have the manufacture date stamped on them... if you find it and thet are younger than the car, then it's a left over.

Some plastic parts have the manufacture date stamped on them... if you find it and thet are younger than the car, then it's a left over.
As you can see from the 1st pic markjay, the part Nr ( which includes 211, and my car is the w212 ) They are not plastic, but made of something hard....an alloy I would think... must check tomorrow with a magnet. They are quite strong. I am just curious about them, and how they managed to find their way into the boot wheel well, Best case, there were two new suspensions fitted in the recent past....:)

It's item 550 on the W212 drawing, Pad or shim that goes below the spare wheel well shell.
I will pull the spare wheel out tomorrow, and see where they fit. At least that explains why they were there. Thanks pmcgsmurf.

So I got around to emptying the boot, and removing the spare wheel, now its clear where these shims go..I'm sure that they are there for a reason, but as far as I can see, they just increase the overall height of the wheel in the boot, is this it? But now I have made another discovery...the spare wheel ( temporary 80KLH ). Its size is 155/70 R17, yet the actual road wheels are 225/55 R16's. Has anyone else come across this anomaly? On the side wall, its stamped E4 ( circled) 0216590 and nearby, 053316. These should refer to the year of manufacture, I know, but I can't figure them out. The tyre is absolutely brand new. None the less, should I be looking for a spare wheel?

So I got around to emptying the boot, and removing the spare wheel, now its clear where these shims go..I'm sure that they are there for a reason, but as far as I can see, they just increase the overall height of the wheel in the boot, is this it? But now I have made another discovery...the spare wheel ( temporary 80KLH ). Its size is 155/70 R17, yet the actual road wheels are 225/55 R16's. Has anyone else come across this anomaly? On the side wall, its stamped E4 ( circled) 0216590 and nearby, 053316. These should refer to the year of manufacture, I know, but I can't figure them out. The tyre is absolutely brand new. None the less, should I be looking for a spare wheel?

You will always find these differences where a space saver wheel is used. Because the height is a % of the width, the spare needs to be, in this case, a band higher;17" instead of 16". This is necessary to get it as near as possible to the rolling radius of the regular wheels.

Have a look at this link

155/70-R17 vs 225/55-R16 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Last edited:
You will always find these differences where a space saver wheel is used. Because the height is a % of the width, the spare needs to be, in this case, a band higher;17" instead of 16". This is necessary to get it as near as possible to the rolling radius of the regular wheels.

Have a look at this link

155/70-R17 vs 225/55-R16 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
Thanks classiccarzone., I thought that it might have been something like that, but "thinking" and actuality can sometimes be miles apart....and I guess the shims are to raise the space saver wheel to the same height as a "Normal" wheel. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks classiccarzone., I thought that it might have been something like that, but "thinking" and actuality can sometimes be miles apart....and I guess the shims are to raise the space saver wheel to the same height as a "Normal" wheel. Thanks again for your input.

I expect that they are for what you say and the probable reason is to support the storage area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom