Today I fulfilled a lifetime ambition and flew with a Spitfire:)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Like many blokes I have always had an ambition to fly a Spitfire! Unfortunately the lack of a Spitfire and a Pilots licence has thwarted this ambition. I had researched flying in 2 seat Spitfires like The Grace Spitfire but basically the CCA have banned such fun. Today, however, I chased a Spitfire VB (BM597) all over the Kent Coast, the White Cliffs of Dover and the Battle of Britain War Memorial at Capel-Le-Ferne in a Jet ranger Helicopter. I had the time of my life and truly fulfilled my ambition. What a glorious day. I hope the photos convey some of the thrill, pleasure and pride in our young pilots.

DSCF6342.jpg

DSCF6329.jpg

DSCF6317.jpg

DSCF6304.jpg

DSCF6300.jpg

DSCF6280.jpg

DSCF6257.jpg

DSCF6194.jpg

DSCF6190.jpg

DSCF6179.jpg

DSCF6174.jpg

DSCF6165.jpg

DSCF6140.jpg

DSCF6114.jpg

DSCF6105.jpg

DSCF6100.jpg

DSCF6097.jpg

DSCF6095.jpg

DSCF6093.jpg

DSCF6083.jpg

Wow, what a wonderful thing to do.

I'm officially jealous!

Iconic, I am green with envy! just the sound sends shivers down my spine!

Had always thought when funds were there I would pay to go in a two seater, why is this not allowed now??

Iconic, I am green with envy! just the sound sends shivers down my spine!

Had always thought when funds were there I would pay to go in a two seater, why is this not allowed now??

The two seat Spitfires dont meet CAA rules for fare paying passengers. You either need to be mates with Caroline Grace or be the BBC making a film. There is a 2 seat one in the US and it cost 2500 dollars for 30 minutes. (and it isnt over the white cliffs)

Well done! Must have been serious fun. Beautiful pictures, BTW. :thumb:

Amazing photographs.
Well done for spending the money, I'm sure it has gone to a good cause.
The Battle of Britain Memorial is a very sobering place - just walking around it I got a feeling of deep solemnity.

The memorial site is a very special place that all should visit. We make a point of taking our visitors, particularly those from overseas, there. How did you arrange that helicopter trip?

Just up the road from me is a 2 seat Mustang - last year he raffled a back seat ride in a charity auction at one of our 2 village pubs, and silly me forgot to bid! We often see the plane fly, and the sound of that Merlin engine is so special!

Those photos put a shiver right up and down my spine. All of a sudden you can see what the War would have looked like to those flying, in first class colour images, and that made me shiver a little.

You can't tell me that there aint enough room for R2D2 right in behind the pilot now can you. I remember you protested quite a bit before you got off to deal to the Death Star, now you are quibbling some more! You wait till C3PO finds out about this!!

great pics R2, looks like you had an amazing day, weather was perfect for it too!

I think you can still 'share' the cost of a flight with the pilot (max of 50%) without it being classed as fare paying . That is certainly the rule in our local flying club where passengers can contribute an equal share of the cost of the flight .

Fantastic photos. Must have been one of the best moments in your life.

Thanks guys for all your lovely comments. Yes I think it was one of the best days. I saved for a while for that one but I think I won't be forgetting that day for many many years.

You know I bought one of those key ring cams........well it sort of was stuck to the bottom of my stills camera and left running for the whole flight. My son is working on the footage......:bannana:

Fantastic.
Must be embarrassing for that pilot going shopping with a 'tach like that.

Unless he has a T'shirt saying 'I'm a Spitfire pilot' ! :p

While those pictures look great, I bet they would probably never do the experience of the trip justice.

I've searched for a longtime for the old 'iconic' spitfire / white cliffs pic. for my phone. I guess few of us mortals will ever get the chance to take any as you have.

But then I suppose its hard to get the perfect snap anyway nowadays. Backgrounds are all modern and 'industrialized' We do see the occasional spitfire buzzing near our neighborhood. (Farnborough airport) but not quite the same.

I reckon the 'tasche is obligatory.
You have to look the part.

The FIL is into gliding and he finds aviator spectacles irresistible.
No matter how daft they look.

I said splendid, (corker having already been taken), I want to raise that to spiffing!

Threads like this make this forum a pleasure to visit, thank you.

Great pics.

Note the flaps down on the Spit. to allow the helo to keep up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom