Today in Sainsburys.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yex

SUPPORTER
Car
Hell Green AMG GTR, Range Rover Evoque P250 MHEV
Drove into the local Sainsburys today to use a cash machine. Just as I was driving along the main thoroughfare towards the parking places I had a rather interesting surprise from my left. I was approaching a zebra crossing so had slowed down to walking pace when a blue Far East shit box (Daihatsu at a guess) came at me from the click and collect car park......whilst there is not a road marked allowing them to do that :eek:

I slammed on my brakes and luckily the guy in the RS6 behind me did the same. The blue car stopped so I rolled up so I was right across the front of it to see a soppy old bint in the driving seat and an equally soppy husband in the passenger seat, both staring straight ahead like rabbits in headlights. They had managed to drive between two bollards in the click and collect car park and we’re going to drive across a zebra crossing into the main car park area. I then pulled forward and parked to use the cash machine and then heard a loud metal type sound and looked up to see the same blue car interacting with a row of parked trolleys.

They drive amongst us :rolleyes:

If said blue car was being driven as badly as the OP described/believed, I think I’d’ve let it go ahead of me, on the basis that I’d rather be able to see it than not.....

I had a similar encounter in Morrisons filling station in Perth yesterday .

I'd filled up and was waiting to go ; the elderly driver in front had also filled up and his wife ( female passenger at least ) had gone into the kiosk to pay . There was also a VW camper van parked across the way outside the kiosk in front , leaving little or no room for me to manoeuvre around him , so I decided just to wait .

Next thing , old chap in front started his car , and his reversing lights were on ! Fearing that he might shoot back towards me , I felt it wise to back up a bit - there was a VW UP behind , but more than a car length away , so I backed up a bit , then waited . Next the old bit in the UP started blowing her horn and flashing her lights - so I pointed to the situation in front and raised both hands , palms upwards , like - what to do want me to do ( I was in the SL with roof down so she could see this ) and again she sounded the horn , twice more . After the third horn blowing I was on the verge of getting out and telling her to exercise some patience , when all at once the driver of the camper van came out of the kiosk , followed by the old chap's wife and the both drove off - happy days .

I had a similar encounter in Morrisons filling station in Perth yesterday .

I'd filled up and was waiting to go ; the elderly driver in front had also filled up and his wife ( female passenger at least ) had gone into the kiosk to pay . There was also a VW camper van parked across the way outside the kiosk in front , leaving little or no room for me to manoeuvre around him , so I decided just to wait .

Next thing , old chap in front started his car , and his reversing lights were on ! Fearing that he might shoot back towards me , I felt it wise to back up a bit - there was a VW UP behind , but more than a car length away , so I backed up a bit , then waited . Next the old bit in the UP started blowing her horn and flashing her lights - so I pointed to the situation in front and raised both hands , palms upwards , like - what to do want me to do ( I was in the SL with roof down so she could see this ) and again she sounded the horn , twice more . After the third horn blowing I was on the verge of getting out and telling her to exercise some patience , when all at once the driver of the camper van came out of the kiosk , followed by the old chap's wife and the both drove off - happy days .
Patience is a virtue!!

Reactions: 219
I bet when they got to the front of the queue to pay for their fuel they suddenly remembered to get the means of payment out , either (very slowly) from the bottom of a massively overcrowded handbag or a battered old wallet that still had a ration card and green shield stamps jammed in it along with a white pound note ! :p

Our local Sainsburys has a roundabout about 50 metres in - extreme care is needed if you're in the right lane to turn right or go straight on as (a) cars in the left lane usually drift across into the right one before turning left and (b) cars approaching the roundabout from the left routinely drive straight across in front of you (to get to the petrol station) without even slowing down.

<snipped for brevity> so had slowed down to walking pace
<snipped>
Then said -
I slammed on my brakes

Brakes could not be sufficiently effective if they needed to be slammed when moving at walking pace...
:)

Our local Sainsburys has a roundabout about 50 metres in - extreme care is needed if you're in the right lane to turn right or go straight on as (a) cars in the left lane usually drift across into the right one before turning left and (b) cars approaching the roundabout from the left routinely drive straight across in front of you (to get to the petrol station) without even slowing down.
I agree totally. Nobody drives inside the road marking lines these days. Roundabouts are the worst if you’re taking the 2nd exit. Cars leaving on the 1st exit invariably drive straight across the curved line. I am always aware of this & take extra care. Even on slight bends in the road you will have to brake/pull to the left to avoid them cutting the corner.

Supermarket car parks frighten me to death.
The former Mrs J. used to call regularly at the Owlcotes Centre between Leeds and Bradford.
The place was an accident waiting to happen.
I resisted going there as far as I possibly could and warned her that she would have an accident there.
Guess what ..... While she was in the shops, someone scraped her car.
Did they stop and report it ?
What do you think !!!

Local knowledge is everything ;)

Westfield shopping centre, Sunday, busiest time of day... now THIS is how you park your car:

Click Here

:banana:

Last edited:
It is always crazy when you see a situation developing,like the old guy in reverse at the fuel station,but what is amazing is the woman behind was totally unaware of what was happening,it shows just what a daze some drivers are in,I hate supermarket car parks as well some of the things that can happen there is plain madness,worst one I have seen was at Aylesbury Sainsbury's I had parked my car way over the back away from the entrance,as I walked towards the entrance a old lady drove in and hit two parked cars so hard they were shunted into another two in front of them,she then said it was not her fault,but the parking guy pointed to the security camera,and the police were called.

It's been 300 days since I last used my horn. I'm still in recovery though.

:D

If I parked like that, herself would crash the door against the wall getting out and I'd get major earache about parking there. Women!!:wallbash::wallbash:
Family were dropped-off near the lift..... parking is best done when one is on one's own.

If that’d been me, I would still have parked in an end slot, or a 'nose to tail' parking space.

But then Mrs B insists I can never find a space in an empty car park....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom