Today my wife reversed the ML into a tree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
We recently decided to hang onto our W163 as its been a totally reliable family car and we just cant bring ourselves to part with it for the pittance I would get in part ex or privately. So we have put some money to one side to get a number of small niggles fixed so that we can enjoy it for another year or so.

BUT! Today my dear wife was out with the kids and managed to reverse it into a tree by accident. In fairness to her we have had 4 weeks of total chaos at home as we have the builders in to demolish and rebuild the kitchen and utility extension. My eldest son has tonsillitis and the patio doors were delivered in the wrong size, so she was pretty stressed out and didnt see the obstruction. At least they are all ok and thank god she and the kids were in an MB not some lesser piece of automotive engineering.

Anyway I am thinking insurance job, pics below what do think??

Cant really have a go at her as she's booked me an AMG driving experience at MB World on Sunday for Fathers day!

IMG00013-20100614-1906.jpg

IMG00014-20100614-1906.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a job for the local panel beater, had something similar fixed on a previous car for around £500. That was in London mind. As long as the glass, electrics etc are OK it shouldn't be too bad? Maybe get a quote for rear parking sensors too? :)

Matt

As long as the glass, electrics etc are OK it shouldn't be too bad? Maybe get a quote for rear parking sensors too? :)

Matt

All ok with the electrics etc the damage is contained to the tailgate luckily!

And yep I think I'll fit some sensors as well! :)

Hello

Sorry to hear about this

I reckon if the bumper will polish out get a dent man out on the tail gate, I was amazed what they can do and after my wifes car had a real crease on the door after someone hit it and drove off you cannot tell now.

It should pop out, also insurance job will be an excess etc I guess?

Also and only suggesting this I fitted parking sensors to my ML for £30 they work a treat.

The picture of the bumper doesnt really do the damage justice, its pretty bad to be honest. Excess on our insurance is only 200 quid and we have protected no claims so I am thinking this will be a more cost effective option....

Sat here feeling slightly nervous as she's gone out in my W210 tonight, I hope these things don't come in twos!

was it one of them jumping trees that jump in the way of cars

it cant be easy texting, applying make up and reversing at the same time

The picture of the bumper doesnt really do the damage justice, its pretty bad to be honest. Excess on our insurance is only 200 quid and we have protected no claims so I am thinking this will be a more cost effective option....

Sat here feeling slightly nervous as she's gone out in my W210 tonight, I hope these things don't come in twos!

No, usually in three's :eek:

BTW a rather unfortunate signature line re the ML :doh:

There is a 163 braking in ebay.

If you get the bits I can fit them for you when I do the door locks!!

The bumper will go again, but a new tailgate is needed.

no way i have had worse repaired... my bro revered the 180 into a steel pole real hard.. and it was beaten out and looks better than new
i have the number of a hilton coachworks bodywork guy who can hook it up real good

We recently decided to hang onto our W163 as its been a totally reliable family car and we just cant bring ourselves to part with it for the pittance I would get in part ex or privately. So we have put some money to one side to get a number of small niggles fixed so that we can enjoy it for another year or so.

BUT! Today my dear wife was out with the kids and managed to reverse it into a tree by accident. In fairness to her we have had 4 weeks of total chaos at home as we have the builders in to demolish and rebuild the kitchen and utility extension. My eldest son has tonsillitis and the patio doors were delivered in the wrong size, so she was pretty stressed out and didnt see the obstruction. At least they are all ok and thank god she and the kids were in an MB not some lesser piece of automotive engineering.

Anyway I am thinking insurance job, pics below what do think??

Cant really have a go at her as she's booked me an AMG driving experience at MB World on Sunday for Fathers day!

IMG00013-20100614-1906.jpg

IMG00014-20100614-1906.jpg

hi sorry to hear this.
having just experienced the work at a bodyshop, i would recommend them

tonyfowkesautomobiles.com

Ask for Andy, and just mention me (Dillan) or this site.

He is in Park Royal, not that close, but also not that far from you.

Something to think about :)

Hi, sorry to see-hear that.

I would suggest a new tailgate, the sole reason is they would try to get the dent out by pushing it out. Due to the nature of where the dent is allocated, near the glass and on a curve.

The panel beaters would put body patty on and spray it. This can later on result in rusting and paint deterioration if the job is not done properly.

My vote, get a new tailgate and if possible the bumper can be saved by polishing it out, that would be a bonus.

I have some industry related experience of this work.

Regards

Last edited:
Great advice guys many thanks...

Seeing as I was going to take the car to Olly to get a few small jobs done anyway I think looking out for a new tailgate and getting it fitted would be a good option (not sure how much they go for though) but it would need to go to a paint shop first as finding one in exactly the same colour would be unlikely.

Its just a matter of time at the moment, quite frankly I could do without having to sort this out just now as we are flat out at work and home with building work etc. But these things happen and at least it shouldn't be too difficult to resolve. Still I'll spend some time looking around today

(but if anyone comes across a spare tailgate for a 163 let me know!)

Great advice guys many thanks...

Seeing as I was going to take the car to Olly to get a few small jobs done anyway I think looking out for a new tailgate and getting it fitted would be a good option (not sure how much they go for though) but it would need to go to a paint shop first as finding one in exactly the same colour would be unlikely.

If you're in Surrey try:

Prestige Vehicle Body Repairs, Units 1 And 2, Heathworks, Off Fordbridge Road, Sunbury On Thames TW16 6AS

Tel: 07956 360 293

Others from the forum will confirm that it's a very good bodyshop.

How was the driving experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom