Todays Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by verytalldave, Nov 1, 2009.

1. verytalldave

verytalldave MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Is it me or was that race boring beyond belief except for the last few laps when Button challenged Webber ? ? ?

The track was a visual feast but provided poor conditions for close racing.
    In fact I was channel hopping most of the time and I only watched the last 7 laps nonstop.
    Perhaps I missed something interesting, but for the most part it was nothing more than a procession.
    There is allot to be said for the older, narrower tracks.

4 people like this.
  2. AANDYY

AANDYY Active Member

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
    I was actually dosing on the couch:eek: apart from the end.
    I was looking forward to the race aswell.:(

3. OP
    OP
    verytalldave

verytalldave MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Yes..............
    Highlights repeat on BBC later could be cut to about 10 minutes and still struggle to remain interesting for the full time.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Not the most gripping of races. The last few laps were ok, thought Button might just pass Webber until he out-braked himself..

The circuit is truly stunning and the transition from daylight to flood lights was hardly noticeable (on the tv at least).

Looking forward to March 2010....

5. jonnyboy

jonnyboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    At least Button showed he was still up for trying to get amongst it despite the temptation to play it safe as the Championship was already in the bag, it impressed me actually, then again, I only watched the last 15 or so laps

6. IanT

IanT Active Member

Car:
    W210 320CDI
    Agreed, some elements of the venue are pretty stunning to look at, but the mistakes seen in qualifying were less apparent today and it made for a very uneventful race. I really thought that Jenson was about to despatch Webber in that last lap and a half, either way next year ought to be interesting.

Ian.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mudster

Mudster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    I sky+ it and watched the entire race in about 45 minutes.

It was dull except for the Button Webber duel.

8. stevesey

stevesey MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Watched qualifying on iPlayer - the fact that everything is so clean, combined with the quality difference between live TV and iplayer made it like watching a video game at times. Even watching it live this afternoon there were a couple of points when the lights were on that had that video game feel.

Like AANDYY I was dosing lightly between Hamilton retiring and the last 7 laps. :D

9. GazCaff

GazCaff MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '05 E280 CDI Avantgarde
    Apart from the last couple of laps with Jenson and Mark, the highlight for me was JB swearing live on global television when he was talking about said laps to MW before they went onto the podium :D

10. AMG-Al

AMG-Al Active Member

Car:
    CLK55AMG (W208)
    Technical racing driver term surely????

11. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Strange that this can be said of just about every modern circuit.

I'm trying hard to think of any of the eight new circuits I actually rate as a F1 venue from the point of view of the racing. Sepang a little bit perhaps. So that's 0.5 out of 8.

Now you'd think that the people at Abu Dhabi might have looked at what has gone before over the last 10 years. 7 other new circuits of little note and which wouldn't be missed by the fans if they evaporated off the face of the planet tomorrow.

But no. They went to Tilke as well. :wallbash:

12. HR17

HR17 Active Member

Car:
    A Merc.
    That was the highlight for me - hearing JB say 'F*CK!' live on BBC1.

1 person likes this.
  13. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The venue/track was so overwhelming that it literally dwarfed the race.-----Scalectrix anyone?:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. bpsorrel

bpsorrel MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '20 SLC Final Edition, Lexus IS 300h, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
    Exactly what I thought!! Dosed off for a while during the race but luckily woke up in time to see the Button - Webber "battle" at the end! Fabulous track and hotel etc but seemed to make the cars "disappear"... Even my wife thought so!! :crazy:

1 person likes this.
  15. mikeouk

mikeouk Active Member

Car:
    2010 bmw 325d m sport coupe.......2007 transit high roof ,LWB......
    was fred flintstone racing? did you know,,no one from dubai knows who fred flintstone is,,,but the people from abu dhabi do :p

1 person likes this.
  16. milikid

milikid New Member

Car:
    MB B180 SE CDI
    Got to agree guys Boring ...... But one hell of a place .....

1 person likes this.
  17. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Active Member

Car:
    W124 E220 Estate Auto
    Totally boring race and I watched in FF with Sky+, but one question: what would have happened if there had been an off in the pit lane exit, through that narrow tunnel? No one could exit the pit lane, but everyone else on the track would continue racing............

18. Mactech

Mactech MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V90 D4 Momentum Pro, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5, Honda VFR1200
    I have to say it is a fantastic project and place. After Lewis dazzled us in practice I was hoping for a really great race. I had hoped that as the track rubbered in there might be grip in places other than just the racing line. But it seems with the dust/sand that just did not happen.:(
    Two weeks ago JB was able to be a master surgeon slicing through the field, but yesterday the track downgraded him to junior doctor, with series of ungainly fumbles against the admititly wise Webber.
    It seems 'racing' and 'spirt' are hard to manufacure.:dk:

2 people like this.
  19. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Watching it live did give it a different feel, but I must confess to being a bit disappointed by the racing. I'm not sure why it happened though, as there is a 1.2km straight for cars to slip-stream, plenty of lowish speed corners to follow cars with minimal loss of aero performance.........*scratches head.

I was still happy to listen to 55 laps of the Brawn and Toyota's downshifting. Each gear change results in a massive clap of thunder sound, whilst all the other cars were silent. Does anyone know why?

20. Mactech

Mactech MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V90 D4 Momentum Pro, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5, Honda VFR1200
    It will depend on the invidivual set up of the 'blipper' to rev the engine on downshifts. Any unburnt fuel in the exhuasts gives you the 'backfire' noise.
    Some engineers and drivers prefer a different 'feel' hence the differences. There is no right and wrong provided the engine and wheel RPMs match at some point!;)

1 person likes this.