Today's quiz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
Last month we moved into an old cottage, and I was delighted to find the original iron gate to match the railings in the garage. But I also found this. Anyone any ideas? I have no idea (it's not a bell pull). The two round things by the spikes rotate. View attachment 61931

View attachment 61932

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oh, and two of these plastic things mounted on the garage wall.
I'm sure they must have a dedicated purpose.

View attachment 61933

Last edited:
Any chance it's to go with you gate; maybe a brace to hold it shut? - The wheels let you move it in to place, and the spikes stop it moving once it's set.

It's a guess anyway.

The brackets, if both fixed at same height but a few feet apart, you could hang a ladder in to keep it up out of your way.

PS, check out the Caption Comp. Winner?

Last edited:
I thought that, but they look as if they are more specific than that.

Could be a manhole drain cover lifter. Hook onto the drain handle, lift and wheel aside.

I think the manhole lifter suggestion is correct too. I found this image on google.

70159_pixb.jpg

Yes, That seems to be what it is.
Nothing too exciting then - many thanks for that!

brucemillar said:
Do you have a Cesspit? If yes? Then that is where the manhole will be. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK
No. Despite being out in the sticks, we have all mains services AND fibre broadband!

Maybe the house used to have one (hence the relegation to the garage)?

Ah - hadn't thought of that. Given where I am that is a good possibility.
Previous house was on mains sewers and still had one but in fifteen years, I was never brave enough to take the lid off.

I think picture three is for winding one's garden hose on, with the free end anchored through the little gap at the bottom.

Two hoses? Are they close together? Does one anchor the first hose end in one little gap, do the twirling, then anchor the second in the other little gap?

No, no, two brackets :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom