Today's Society

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
There was an accident outside my son's house. A Mercedes with 4 occupants stopped because a worker was moving a road sign. A van came up at speed and hit a car which was sitting behind the Mercedes.
The car containing a woman and a small child was pushed through a hedge. En route it glanced off the
back of the Mercedes causing minor damage to the bumper, tail light and the 1/4 panel. An ambulance
arrived on scene followed by a recovery truck, then the fire brigade. The Mercedes occupants all claimed to be injured and unable to exit the car. The fire people said they would have to remove the roof of the
Mercedes. The recovery truck driver and the ambulance men said to my son -the threat of removing
a roof usually brings about a speedy recovery. But not in this case, the Mercedes occupants still
remained in their car. Roof was removed and more ambulances(5 in all) summoned to the scene.
The ambulance, the recovery truck driver, the fire people and the police were all convinced there
was nothing wrong with the Mercedes occupants. The hospital's A&E was contacted and the situation
was explained. The Mercedes occupants were seen by a consultant and promptly sent on their way. By
way of contrast, the woman said she was very grateful she and her child were not injured even though
her car was written off. The driver of the van said it was his first accident in 45 years of driving. Why do some people have to try it on?

Why do some people try it on ?

because that is the sort of society we live in today.
Everybody is out for themselves, what’s in it for me, what can I get out of it, it’s never my fault it’s always someone else’s. Me me me.

As above it is the part of the world we live in today, these are the probably the type of people that will also whinge about the cost of insurance. I was involved in an accident last month (not my fault) where a woman behind me pulled out to overtake me on a dual carriageway (not necessary as the lane was closed further ahead), she pulled out in directly in front of a pickup truck allegedly without indicating. The pickup pushed her into the side of me and the pickup also hit me. She admitted liability, the car is now repaired and all is settled but I cooperated with all parties during the process, I was unhurt and just wanted my car repaired so I could go about my business. The cost of repairing my car and the hire car I had whilst it was being repaired was eye watering alone. If everyone just claimed what they were owed insurance premiums would not be sky high. I hope the van driver's insurance company manages to get enough evidence against them to prove that the claim is excessive making it void.

Wonder what the insurance company will say about the MB - through their attempted fraud the car has been written off, hope tha van drivers insurers offer them no more than the scrap value!

Wonder what the insurance company will say about the MB - through their attempted fraud the car has been written off, hope tha van drivers insurers offer them no more than the scrap value!

It is surprising what tools insurance companies have at their disposal to weed out fraudulant claimants. I'm sure they will be able to prove that there was no need for the occupants to be extracted from the car.

On the other side of things.
Some years ago a neighbour knocked on and apologised for reversing into my parked car. He had avoided his bin waiting for collection, and bumped into mine that wasn't usually parked there, oops.

Anyway that afternoon I was contacted by some agent type company working on behalf of his insurance company. All to save me dealing with my insurance they would do it all.
They would collect my car and take it for repair. When asked it turned out to be to be in Doncaster, I objected as there are many repairers closer than perhaps 60 miles away.
They didn't like it but accepted that I would get a quote locally.
About £750, and Fletchers would provide a loan car for the few days they would have my car. So I sent that off to them.
I was still using my car is it wasn't serious but after a month or two I hadn't heard back from the 'Agents'. They had misplaced the quote and asked me to get a duplicate printed. So back to Fletchers, got that and sent it off, again.

12 months on and I still hadn't heard back, they had misplaced the quote, again. They wanted another, no chance.

I rang MB Macclesfield, They had a new E class estate dropped off that afternoon, and the driver left with mine. A few days later I had only done about 70 miles in the 'E' and they returned mine and took theirs away.
So easy I was impressed.

The total bill was closer to £3k, largely due to the loan car. On the first phone call they offered a loan car but as I had Larisa's on hand I declined. What a waste.

It might be worth recalling the thread on GAP insurers having sisues a few weeks ago

Consider if said driver of MB had RTI GAP - possbily with additional cover.

Convenient no fault - multiple occupants. Car roof removed and car written off. And driver gets RTI top up on whatever insurer offers. And possibly some scope for some whiplash claims in time to come.

There was an accident outside my son's house. A Mercedes with 4 occupants stopped because a worker was moving a road sign. A van came up at speed and hit a car which was sitting behind the Mercedes.
The car containing a woman and a small child was pushed through a hedge. En route it glanced off the
back of the Mercedes causing minor damage to the bumper, tail light and the 1/4 panel. An ambulance
arrived on scene followed by a recovery truck, then the fire brigade. The Mercedes occupants all claimed to be injured and unable to exit the car. The fire people said they would have to remove the roof of the
Mercedes. The recovery truck driver and the ambulance men said to my son -the threat of removing
a roof usually brings about a speedy recovery. But not in this case, the Mercedes occupants still
remained in their car. Roof was removed and more ambulances(5 in all) summoned to the scene.
The ambulance, the recovery truck driver, the fire people and the police were all convinced there
was nothing wrong with the Mercedes occupants. The hospital's A&E was contacted and the situation
was explained. The Mercedes occupants were seen by a consultant and promptly sent on their way. By
way of contrast, the woman said she was very grateful she and her child were not injured even though
her car was written off. The driver of the van said it was his first accident in 45 years of driving. Why do some people have to try it on?

With 5 Ambulances and a Fire Tender at the Scene I'm surprised that there were no Police in Attendance, the PC's Note Book and possibly Man Cam would have recorded all for future Reference! :dk:

They would be, even if there were no injuries, just to sort out the traffic and make sure everyone is safe including the emergency services.

Not been much media coverage of crash for cash lately and I thought it may not be a problem anymore til the other day. Driving to work at 4am the other day was following a fully loaded zafira, no other cars on the road. It didn't do anything particularly wrong was just being driven twitchy. A couple of occasions I slowed a bit and it slowed too. This went on for a couple of miles so I just pulled up and stopped. So will never know but wasn't taking any chances !

Always plenty of chancers in life with zero morals...

Not been much media coverage of crash for cash lately and I thought it may not be a problem anymore til the other day. Driving to work at 4am the other day was following a fully loaded zafira, no other cars on the road. It didn't do anything particularly wrong was just being driven twitchy. A couple of occasions I slowed a bit and it slowed too. This went on for a couple of miles so I just pulled up and stopped. So will never know but wasn't taking any chances !

That's one reason I bought a dash cam for mine, 'er indoors' car and my dad's.

It's no longer the case insurance will pay out if you hit the car in front and with a dash cam, you can prove any **** piggery at the front or rear.

If you take the registration and report it for suspicious activity just maybe it would be valuable evidence when they do find a poor sucker to have an 'accident' with.

It literally was nothing you could put your finger on, could have been completely innocent as the road is a bit of a Eastern European worker pick up point. Just got the old Spidey sense tingling !

Reactions: m80
Did the services not try to open the doors then? I don't think they'd have whipped the roof off without a pull of a handle first.

My daughter was involved in an accident, her fault, and there was quite a lot of damage to both cars (2007 Corsa and a 2003 Peugeot). The police were called and they asked my daughter and the 4 male occupants of the other car if they had any injuries, the response was no, everyone was OK. Because of this no investigation was done and not even a police report made. Imagine our surprise when we find out that the insurance payout was over £14k!

I was involved in an accident, asked if injured, to which I replied no as I appeared fine at the time. Imagine to my own surprise when the next day my neck was in absolute bother and a week later unable to get out of bed - all due to the accident where I was side swiped.

Did the services not try to open the doors then? I don't think they'd have whipped the roof off without a pull of a handle first.
It's not about doors...it's about supporting necks etc and extracting the passengers in the safest way...ducking to get out of a door is not regarded as safe for the neck. So, at the scene of an accident don't offer someone a seat in the back of your car...they may cut the roof off...it has happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom