Tom Finney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
RIP Sir Tom.

Sir Tom Finney - obituary - Telegraph

tomfinney_2823331c.jpg

A sporting legend and a true gentleman. Never booked, he spent his entire career playing for the same team.

Last edited:
My mother was a huge football fan and for almost 50 years she served in the St. John Ambulance Brigade. For many years she volunteered for duty at Deepdale every Saturday and, though kindness was her middle name, woe betide any spectator who needed first aid when Tom Finney was playing!

As a young lad, I accompanied her to numerous home games when she was on duty. One of the perks was to watch the match from outside the first aid room (standing next to mum) and be guaranteed a freshly made cuppa at half time.

RIP Sir Tom. The mould was broken when they made you.

My Dad played against him in some sort of cup game when they were in the army in Egypt (WW2) - Dad had to mark him and his side lost 12-11 - with Tom scoring 11 of the 12 goals!! He said Tom was 'a good bloke'. Neither of them are with us now, sadly.

One of the pictures that accompanied his obituary showed him playing at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea after a deluge - water everywhere much like now. I was there but much younger. RIP

One of the pictures that accompanied his obituary showed him playing at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea after a deluge - water everywhere much like now. I was there but much younger. RIP

There's a statue of him at Deepdale (Preston) based on that picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom