Tom Tom dead any ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Hi came back from France a few weeks ago tom tom worked fine, updated it via the net, still okay, stuck it in its box and now i need it for tomorrow and it wont switch on.

Plug in the charger and the little green light on the tom tom lights up so i assume getting power.

Also held in reset button for 10secs but still no go.

Any help appreciated or have i got to send it to tom tom?

Lynall

It sounds like the battery is flat and needs a charge for a while, alternatively if there is a battery switch switch it off/on or pull the battery and refit it again, then try.

I've had problems with mine going dead after updates in the past, pressing the reset button with the end of a paper clip always cures it though. I wonder if the reset does not work if the battery is completely flat? Just pressing it for half a second should be enough, no need to hold for 10 seconds.

Russ

Hello

My farther inlaw has one of the first TomTom Go's? huge now compared to new ones but its only used now and again. His is dead as a dead thing.

Can new batterys be fitted or is it like most things now almost as cheap to replace?

Hello

My farther inlaw has one of the first TomTom Go's? huge now compared to new ones but its only used now and again. His is dead as a dead thing.

Can new batterys be fitted or is it like most things now almost as cheap to replace?

When they first came out you had to send them to TomTom, but I'm sure new batteries are now available on e-bay.

Russ

I had a similar thing on a TT1 after an update, forum cure was press on button and insert SD card at same time, worked perfect. Check out the Pocket GPS World forum the guys on there really know what they are talking about

I`ve got two Tomtoms and they`ve both had the dreaded `green light but won`t turn on` syndrome.
Sent both back to TT under guarantee - it`s a common fault...........

I just buy a generic GPS Hub for £40 and stick tomtom via SD onto it..

Battery life is actually londer than normal tomtom and the screen on the navigo is also bigger.

Mine has refused to turn on a couple of times in the 3? years I've had it. In both cases connecting the cigarette lighter lead (in the car) did the trick. It just wouldn't turn on under battery power alone (although the battery is fine).

Sorry model is a Tom Tom One XL europe, i will try the car charger trick then if no good contact Tom Tom.
No sd card in this model, but there is an sd slot if needed.

ps thanks for the replies.

Lynall

Mine has refused to turn on a couple of times in the 3? years I've had it. In both cases connecting the cigarette lighter lead (in the car) did the trick. It just wouldn't turn on under battery power alone (although the battery is fine).

I had this one too Bill would not turn on with battery alone but would on the in car power lead this went on for a while then one time after updating it went back to normal and would power up on battery alone, weird:crazy:

Doh so simple plugged into car and switched on lovely.

Really appreciate the replies:bannana:

Thanks
Lynall

The problem I find with these units is the rubbish battery.
I have one and know of two others.
The battery self discharges!:mad: In about 1-2 weeks.
I've emailed Tom Tom about this and they confirm it.
I have old mobile phones with the same battery technology and they hold there charge for months.
Very disappointing.

I have old mobile phones with the same battery technology and they hold there charge for months.
Very disappointing.

I can leave mine for weeks & the battery is still fully charged & mine is an old Go 700 I bought years ago? The same for the new 520 I use at work.
Must have a duff battery in yours.

Russ

I can leave mine for weeks & the battery is still fully charged & mine is an old Go 700 I bought years ago? The same for the new 520 I use at work.
Must have a duff battery in yours.

Russ

Could be just the Ones then. Cheaper? Penny pinching on the battery?

I agree with the battery theory as mine has always gone flat very quickly, but i always just plugged in the mains charger and away it went until this post, so its down to car charger only now but so long as tom tom works i am happy.

Lynall

Very disappointing.

Yep, Ive had exactly the same problem on my Tom Tom, its been back once and the battery has been replaced but is still runs out rapidly when unused. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom