tom tom go - external aerial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
I'm getting hub's a Tom Tom Go for crimbo. Sorted - or so I thought. Just been looking and came across the optional extra( £45 suit you madam) external aerial.

Those of you that already use TTG do you use an external aerial for it - or find it works fine without? It it's the former - I could be stuffed :(

Hi Pammy!

The problem is with the front windscreen itself. Some cars with heated front windscreens seem to shield the GPS signal as it hits the glass, preventing the unit from working properly.

Checking the pocketgps.co.uk forums on the topic, it appears that very few people have the need for it. You should be fine. I hear that some S class owners have has a few issues though.

pammy said:
I'm getting hub's a Tom Tom Go for crimbo. Sorted - or so I thought. Just been looking and came across the optional extra( £45 suit you madam) external aerial.

Those of you that already use TTG do you use an external aerial for it - or find it works fine without? It it's the former - I could be stuffed :(

I too am treating myself to a TTG this Christmas :) Are these better than the Navman units?

Cheers,
Steve

scotth_uk said:
Hi Pammy!

The problem is with the front windscreen itself. Some cars with heated front windscreens seem to shield the GPS signal as it hits the glass, preventing the unit from working properly.

Checking the pocketgps.co.uk forums on the topic, it appears that very few people have the need for it. You should be fine. I hear that some S class owners have has a few issues though.

Thanks Scott. AFAIK the windscreen on the Voyager is not heated - I'll do a discreet check - but the shape and angle of the windscreen means he's prob gonna have to use it on the door window as it is.

And who knows - if it doesn't work - maybe it'll just have to wander towards Edna :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom