Tom Tom problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
I have a TomTom Go Classic and have just upgraded to the latest firmware, updated the maps etc. One really annoying thing it now does; is that everytime I plug in the charger, either car or mains, it turns the unit on. Any idea why it does this and what can be done to stop it? TIA. Jim

In my 740 I have the option:

change preferences - battery saving preferences
or
change preferences - reset factory settings

would that help?

I have a TomTom Go Classic and have just upgraded to the latest firmware, updated the maps etc. One really annoying thing it now does; is that everytime I plug in the charger, either car or mains, it turns the unit on. Any idea why it does this and what can be done to stop it? TIA. Jim

I think it is part of the new firmware upgrades there were a lot of complaints that TT would not power up when the car ignition was switched on so they fixed the firmware in the newer units and I think they have now just got round to doing the older ones. My TT1 has just starting doing the same thing after updating. Guess the only way out is to roll back the firmware update.

Ummm-This all came about because I wanted to update the maps. To do this I had to install TT Home and that then automatically downloaded the new firmware. I'd rather keep the new firmware etc but don't like this power up option. As mine is a TTG Classic the battery lasts 6-7 hours so I never have the power lead plugged in whilst in the car as I don't like the cables dangling about. Maybe with the newer TTGs where the they only come with a car charging lead this is an advantage, but I find it irratating.

or

would that help?

Tried that I'm afraid.

Try pressing the reset button on the bottom of the TomTom, you will see a small hole, insert the end of a paper clip into it & press. You may have to reset any changes you have previously made in preferences though.

Russ

or

would that help?

I have a 740 and it's hard wired to the car. According to Tom Tom help line there is no way it can be powered from the ignition switch (on/off) without it automatically reverting to internal battery on the 'off'. Then, when it is off, it needs manual starting. This from TT only one month ago. Do you now say this advice is incorrect? That would be good. :thumb:

I have a 740 and it's hard wired to the car. According to Tom Tom help line there is no way it can be powered from the ignition switch (on/off) without it automatically reverting to internal battery on the 'off'. Then, when it is off, it needs manual starting. This from TT only one month ago. Do you now say this advice is incorrect? That would be good. :thumb:

Yes can definitely power on and off from the ignition and there should now be settings in there to do it as described above if you have the latest firmware installed. his was the case on my TT1 which now powers on and of with the ignition on the latest firmware.

Mine used to do this, but it cannot do it now.
The updates have removed this feature from mine.

Russ

Think I will have to live with it then. It really hacks me off when TT insist I update the firmware to get the new maps and then make changes to the way TTG operates and doesn't give me any preference or choice in the matter. GRRRrrrrr!!!

Would have thought that "change preferences - battery saving preferences" would have done the trick ...???

Would have thought that "change preferences - battery saving preferences" would have done the trick ...???

This only gives an option to "switch off when external power is lost" on mine, but when I first got it and before any updates there was an option to switch on when external power is restored. No longer have that as an option now.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom