Tomorrow's world: Volkswagen's new MQB platform tech explained

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
An interesting article I thought:

Tomorrow's world: Volkswagen's new MQB platform tech explained | Car Blogs | Car Magazine Online

Is VW’s recently announced MQB (Modular Transverse Matrix) a new idea or old hat? Starting with the new VW Golf Mk7 arriving in the UK in spring 2012, the idea heralds a return to basic principles of mass production in an industry where over the last 100 years, complexity has spiralled out of control. By creating a standardised, interchangeable set of parts from which to build a variety of cars, VW plans to cut the time taken to build a car by 30%.

Body and chassis are a hybrid of steel and aluminium panels, joined by a new riveting process with a special coating to prevent electrolytic corrosion. On average, cars will weigh 40kg lighter than today’s equivalents, the next Golf tipping the scales at much the same weight as a 1997 Golf Mk4

Verdict

The new MQB architecture may be part of a grand plan to make sure VW doesn’t go the same way as some others in these troubled times, but customers should get better value for money too.

Thanks for posting.

Car manufacturers have been attempting to build: bigger / safer / quieter / faster / more reliable / more economical / more environmentally friendly cars year after year after year and personally I don't need that.

Let's focus on making them cheaper / more efficiently again.

Its a ---------------chassis! ;) the "Panzerwagen" phenomenon that is VAG rolls onwards. Bearing in mind Jaguar's recent experience with " rivets" one wonders about the longevity of such construction. :dk:

Jaguar's recent experience with " rivets" one wonders about the longevity of such construction. :dk:

I guess the aerospace and civil engineering industry are well placed to comment on rivets.

Like all joints, it's about understanding them to then use them properly. The auto industry are clearly still learning.

In my line of auto engineering I'm seeing more adhesives being used. It's interesting times for sure. There's only so many times you can be excited about a pressed steel body spot welded together. Roll on change :)

Interesting, thanks.

I hope they sort out the TSi engines - having all sorts of problems with them, apparently. Adding the ability to switch to 2 cyl operation is just another thing to go wrong.

Interesting, thanks.

I hope they sort out the TSi engines - having all sorts of problems with them, apparently. Adding the ability to switch to 2 cyl operation is just another thing to go wrong.

What kind of problems?

Off the top of my head ----Carbon build up on the inlet valves and inlet manifold due to direct injection= no fuel vapour to "wash the valves/ inlet tumble flaps clean To be fair similar problems to those experienced in many modern complex fuel efficient petrol engines not confined to Audi.

Last edited:
Excessive oil consumption and turbo & superchargers failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom