Tonights Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finding the area immediately adjacent to Richard Hammond's left shoulder strangely interesting tonight...

Watching back on iPlayer - stripy jumper?

SAAB summary: 60 years of good safety, poor accountancy, baffling engineering and dishonest advertising. Oh, and one truly great car.

I'm liking the new racks they put in the background on display behind the trio as they talk, keeps my eyes occupied.

Let's face it - the C63 is simply an embarrasment, being neither a pedigree racer or a refined cruiser. For the non-cognoscenti, it's just a blinged-up repmobile missing only the brown paper bag for the driver.

Now then, take the SAAB 99 Turbo: a properly fast car and "legendary". As I nevre tire of mentioning, I had the pleasure of owning one - thirty years ago.

0-60 in eight seconds and 50-70, 60-80 and 70-90 increments all around six seconds. A full four-seater and with the rear seats down, a flat six foot long load area.

19348d1278759158-there-perfect-vehicle-all-s99ts.jpg

I'm away to dry my eyes again...
how can you say that about the c63 blackseries it has posted a time of 7.46 around the nurburgring which is faster than a lp560 7.52,as fast as a lambo superleggera7.46,lp640 7.47, porsche 911 gt2 7.46, a pagani zonda s is at 7.44,a m3 gts is 7.48, 911gt3 rs 7.47,ferrari 599 gtb 7.47. i think it shows its got very good racing pedagree.

Another good episode :) Normally I put the gratuitous tyre smoking down to Jeremy's right foot when they have an AMG on, but when that black was doing it's lap there was still a pretty alarming amount of smoke coming from those tyres... Looks like it's set up could do with some improving to say the least!

it has posted a time of 7.46 around the nurburgring which is faster than a lp560 7.52,as fast as a lambo superleggera7.46,lp640 7.47, porsche 911 gt2 7.46, a pagani zonda s is at 7.44,a m3 gts is 7.48, 911gt3 rs 7.47,ferrari 599 gtb 7.47. i think it shows its got very good racing pedagree.
And that matters because......????

Tonight, on the M1 on the way home, we witnessed a total tosser, hacking along, lose control of his car (which will remain nameless...) during a ridiculous undertaking move, spin round, hit the central reservation, narrowly miss my car (thank God I was travelling at a sensible speed..) and end up with a very mashed up car. Speed and idiotic moves in a car way too powerful for the brain dead moron caused all that. 'Ring speeds are a fatuous w*lly waving exercise as far as I'm concerned.

how can you say that about the c63 blackseries it has posted a time of 7.46 around the nurburgring which is faster than a lp560 7.52,as fast as a lambo superleggera7.46,lp640 7.47, porsche 911 gt2 7.46, a pagani zonda s is at 7.44,a m3 gts is 7.48, 911gt3 rs 7.47,ferrari 599 gtb 7.47. i think it shows its got very good racing pedagree.

I think all of them would be horrific on the daily drives most of us face.

It's why I'd rather have my S Class than any of the above. Comfort with more than enough power when it's called upon.

Just being fast, doesn't make it a great car. Maybe if you want to drive on a track only, but for everyday driving where we have speed limits, harshly imposed (and rightfully so IMO) what is the point? Safety, comfort and enough power to get you out of trouble is what's needed these days.

Record breaking track times mean squat in real life driving...

Last edited:
There's no need to start throwing insults around. I thought we were above that on this forum...
It's the dreaded mention of the C63! :D Brings out the mania in folk!! :D

Just being fast, doesn't make it a great car. Maybe if you want to drive on a track only, but for everyday driving where we have speed limits, harshly imposed (and rightfully so IMO) what is the point? Safety, comfort and enough power to get you out of trouble is what's needed these days.

Record breaking track times mean squat in real life driving...
most road cars can do 155 easily these days so you could say whats the point with nearly all road cars when you have speed limits.

There you go again...

Dieselman asked a fair question about racing pedigree (as opposed to track ability). You could have simply explained which racing series the C63 has partaken in (eg: Vallelunga, even though it hasn't won), rather than saying he was stupid to ask.

As for dhard, he's been called all the names under the sun on here before and he keeps coming back for more, so I don't think your strategy will prove effective.
ive never said the c63 black series had won any race.

Please don't stoop to my level of stupidity,but Clarksons analogy of the AMG C63 Black series was; Winnie the poo with road rage.

ive never said the c63 black series had won any race.

But you said it had racing pedigree, which implies that it has at least participated in a recognised racing event. Going round the 'Ring to set a lap time doesn't constitute a race.

I must admit I am a little disappointed at some of the posts of late.

I think my very short time on this forum will be coming to an end.

Amg oh dear could say told u so . Amg cars are just a embarrassment have they ever built one decent car . Hammond sum them up in one word ridiculous . If amg keep producing dross cars like the c63 it won't be long before Mercedes drop the brand all together .
Pardon my ignorance, am fairly new, but I wasn't aware that AMG built the cars. I thought Mercedes built them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom