Tonights TOP GEAR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So what did the Stig's morse code mean this week?

Another great programme..............

So what would your choice have been?

To take the car or boat ? ? ? ?

Car for me please...............

Car, I just knew the boat would be f uncomfortable, price? irrelevant I can no more afford 200K for a car than 1.2M for a boat..

So what did the Stig's morse code mean this week?

From here
His first burst of dot-dashing said ‘TOO MANY GEARS’, clearly a dig at the Lexus IS-F’s ridiculous 8-speed gearbox.
The second transmission works out as ‘I LIKE MR SULU’, a message of support to George Takei who’s currently spending time in an Australian jungle with a bunch of E-list celebrities. The Star Trek actor, who played Mr Sulu in the original series, is currently still in the running on TV show ‘I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here’.
Remember Google is your friend.:D :D

I thought the boat looked awesome, Ferrari though, an absolute classic - overtones of a Renault Alpina for me though:eek:

7E406BAC4462AAFA11E3FC837DE.jpg

Way back in the early 80’s I worked for the motorsport arm of company that converted Daytona Coupes in to the much more scarce Spyders.
Having seen many of these cars just a few years old in their underwear and seeing what rot boxes they actually were, I afraid I have a tainted view of this beautiful looking car. :(
I only wish that Italian cars generally could show the engineering integrity to match the looks.
Maybe a Lamborghini engineered by Audi?;)

Definitely - I said it out loud and my girlfriend (younger!)

I would not brag on the internet you have more than one girlfriend..;) they both might find out!!:eek:

Many moons ago we had a SD1 in 2600, Dad couldn't afford the V8; slightly jealous when my Uncle acquired a 3500 Vanden Plas EFi

There was a more powerful "Vitesse" version of the 3500 too ... that would have been my choice :)

There was a more powerful "Vitesse" version of the 3500 too ... that would have been my choice :)

I seem to remember that the advice when buying an SD1 was choose the highest luxury spec - then you have a nice place to sit when waiting for the tow truck.....

Saw a lovely PO-lice one at the Hampton Hill Christmas Parade on Friday evening ... ( Hampton Traffic Garage , where they keep all the classic police cars is on my doorstep ) ...

Was really cool looking and obviously in pristine condition , made a nice change to see revolving flashing blue lights as opposed to the normal strobes and LED's that everything has nowadays...

' The Met Police Service Historic Vehicle Collection is a group of genuine police cars which were once part of the Met’s working fleet.

They were in poor condition but have been carefully restored and put back into working order at Hampton Traffic Garage. There are seven cars, dating from 1948 to 1996, and ten motorcycles dating from 1955 to 1977.

The cars include a 1948 Wolsey, a 1970 Morris Minor 1000 Panda Car, 1973 Rover P6, a 1973 Austin Panda Car, a 1980 Landrover SIII 4x4 Estate, a 1983 Rover SD1 V8 SE Automatic, and a 1988 Rover 827 V6 Traffic Patrol Car.
'

Last edited:
Remember reading a road test on the SD1, which summed up, great car....if only BMW made it. Some years later they did (not the SD though), and that didn't work either!

Saw a lovely PO-lice one at the Hampton Hill Christmas Parade on Friday evening ... ( Hampton Traffic Garage , where they keep all the classic police cars is on my doorstep ) ...

Was really cool looking and obviously in pristine condition , made a nice change to see revolving flashing blue lights as opposed to the normal strobes and LED's that everything has nowadays...

You could build your own:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/rover/sd1_india/bodywork

The facelifted SD1s were great cars, Over the years, I've had four of them, a 2300, a 2600 VDP, a 3500 VDP and a 3500 Vitesse. I also owned a pre facelift 2600 and that's the only one of them that ever broke down when it's cam belt failed.

They were all great cars for their day, comfortable, spacious, plenty of power etc etc but with the usual British Leyland build quality and Lucas electrical gremlins - get a bad one and they could be a nightmare, get a good one and i would be great.

The 2600 was probably the best day to day car turning in high twenties/low thirties to the gallon as the 3500s were rather thirsty - I don't think I ever got much more than 20 mpg out of either of mine and around 15 mpg was the norm.

I sold my '85 Vitesse to a friend when I moved down to the coast because I was doing too many miles a week and the fue bills were astronomical :) He's still got it, running on it's original engine and gearbox. It's a practical classic car with enough performance to out run a lot of more modern cars which you can service with just a few spanners that he uses as a daily driver

It's also got less rust than most Mercs we see :)

If you are going to buy a Vitesse, make sure it's one of the "Twin Plenum" EFI models - they are a bit rare these days but the injection system on them developed by rover and Lotus was much better (read reliable) than the Lucas set up which was a modified Bosch system. Only buy an early twin carb Vitesse if you have you own oilfield :)

and a 1988 Rover 827 V6 Traffic Patrol Car

I remember reading that the Police nickname for their 8 series Rover was "General Belgrano" - because of the amount of body roll.

Please forgive me for what I am about to say, but..............

Was it me ................or did anyone else spot the remarkable similarity between that Ferrari Daytona.............

.........and a Rover SD1.

yes i thought that the moment I saw it!

I think its a car that needs to be seen in the flesh... on the programme it did nothing for me!

yes i thought that the moment I saw it!

I think its a car that needs to be seen in the flesh... on the programme it did nothing for me!
The SD1 took some design cues from the 365 GTB/4, they wanted to make it look like a 4 door version of the Ferrari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom