Tonights TOP GEAR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Please forgive me for what I am about to say, but..............

Was it me ................or did anyone else spot the remarkable similarity between that Ferrari Daytona.............

.........and a Rover SD1.

I ask because the Ferrari Daytona was in fact a major design influence on the Rover team for the SD1, but I didn't want to explain that to you if you already knew it.
:)

A similar shape, but of course the details make them slightly differing cars! :D

Definitely - I said it out loud and my girlfriend (younger!) asked me what one of those was - side profile SD1, or austin princess.

yep, exactly what i thought!

http://www.roversd1club.net/history/history5.asp

The above site said:
[David] Bache actually cited the Ferrari 250LM and 365GTB/4 Daytona as the major influences on the SD1 - and this can certainly be seen in the style around the front end of the car; the headlights and indicators are practically a facsimilie of the classic Ferrari's. Another feature that the SD1 shared with the Daytona was its side swage lines

I ask because the Ferrari Daytona was in fact a major design influence on the Rover team for the SD1, but I didn't want to explain that to you if you already knew it.
:)

I didnt know that...........and that of course explains alot. Thanks.

Another great programme..............

So what would your choice have been?

To take the car or boat ? ? ? ?

Car for me please...............

So what would your choice have been?

To take the car or boat ? ? ? ?

That boat is hopeless. It's not fast enough for a speedboat and not refined enough for a weekender.

The Daytona is beautiful.

I just love the sound of the old Ferrari V12, I don't care that it's unreliable, delicate, has flaws.....can be driven into the dust by a modern high performance executive saloon.

It's a mechanical work of art that is high maintainance but it oozes class, character and charm in a way no £200,000 modern supercar ever can.

I have a soft spot for nearly all Ferraris from the late 50's to the early 70's there was something about the no compromise design of Beaty first and we'll worry about it if it works later that is so right.

Look at an Enzo or a 599, the are incredible pieces of engineering, but somehow they lack the soul that the earlier cars have in spades.

there used to be a firm in Nottingham that would turn your SD1 into a Daytona lookalike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_Engineering

When they first opened up in 1984 I lived literally around the corner from them :)

always wanted one of those with a tuned 5l V8 from the corvette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom