Tony Purslow - MB Basingstoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
Took my car in for its first service today. Got in at 9am as arranged for a while you wait service. I was told it would take 1.5 to 2 hours. I had arranged to meet a friend shortly after 11am so I was clear on this point.

I eventually left a little after midday. I spoke to the service manager at the time as a courtesy to inform him I would be writing to MB about being kept waiting (there wasn't even anywhere to sit in the waiting room due to other customers (joint MB & Smart waiting room I think) despite clearly laying out my requirements before hand. I also explained that if they couldn't do it in time then I would rather had known that before.....
There were no recalls due and no additional work was required so a totally standard A service.

They had cleaned the car - although managed to leave grit on the front bonnet (more than was there before I arrived!) and hadn't even bothered hoovering under the drivers mat (which I checked after the poor show of the car exterior). They sprayed something inside the car on the steering wheel but hadnt bothered to wipe it off as there was a funny dark residual patch on the wheel.
I called the service manager out and showed him this. He did seem genuinley embarrassed.

This was my first experience of Tony Purslow group and I must say I am not impressed at all. Not a patch on MB Weston-super-Mare who were always effecient, punctual and did a thorough job.
I did get a breakdown of tread on my tyres and an invoice but that was all. I didn't think of it at the time but should I not have info on my brakes (disc wear/pads etc)?

Phew--- better to get this off my chest. Really, you pay top whack (£257 for an A service) which the service assistant tried to imply was a discount - it isn't.... and I expect decent service.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Not the normal level of service from this dealer

The service is always top on here

I am sure the service manage will take the action needed

Hi

Not the normal level of service from this dealer

The service is always top on here

I am sure the service manage will take the action needed

+1 would agree with that too. Hope they look after you and resolve this to your satisfaction.

+1

Purslows are supposed to be very good and I have only heard positive things about them, I suggest speaking with the service manager hopefully everything will be resolved..

Considering some horror stories on this forum, and my own personal experience with an A service (£260 'after 15% discount') at a dealer, I think that if the only issues are that they were a couple of hours late, and did not clean the car properly, then this is not too bad. Which is rather sad in a way.

Having said that, you should certainly raise these issue with the service manager - in my own case no one was interested to listen to my complaints, but organisation who do want to improve customer service (and yes, some do!) would definitely be interested.

Considering some horror stories on this forum, and my own personal experience with an A service (£260 'after 15% discount') at a dealer, I think that if the only issues are that they were a couple of hours late, and did not clean the car properly, then this is not too bad.
Only 1 hour late, from the OP. Not great, but TBH I never do 'while you wait' any more (even on MOTs) as unexpected delays can always crop up. They do free collection & delivery, or will drop you at a train station etc. which helps.

As mentioned, talk to the service manager. I've used Tony Purslow in Guildford for some years and they dealt with the only complaint I've needed to make very satisfactorily.

Just adding to this - Purslow's of Basingstoke get my vote - they've always been really decent there and I think they deserve a 'plug'. Surprised at what happened to you, but worth metioning to them to give them the chance to corect it - would be interested in theire response

there wasn't even anywhere to sit in the waiting room due to other customers

That's never a good sign. I've waited a couple of times at MB Chester and been the only person waiting both times. They also took an hour longer than stated on both occasions, one of which was just for an MOT but that time they valeted my already spotless car because I forgot to ask them not to.

Just adding to this - Purslow's of Basingstoke get my vote - they've always been really decent there and I think they deserve a 'plug'. Surprised at what happened to you, but worth metioning to them to give them the chance to corect it - would be interested in theire response

Yeah they have been nothing other than helpful with me when I had to pull out the benz stereo when I bought the wagon-did it for free and recently they ordered me some boot struts as mine went over xmas-they arrived on the 27th. I spoke to them Xmas eve about getting some. I got a call in the morning to say they had arrived. :rock:

Surprised to hear of the poor service.

I have been taking my c class there for the past 5 years and have always had good service.

Hopefully this was just an isolated incident which they will sort out for you.:)

Not cheap though; just been quoted £849.92 for a B Service, front pads & discs plus a brake fluid change. I think the combination filter will be additional if required.

Thanks for the comments - yes, I mentioned it to the service manager who apologised and said it was his fault - he had given too many people permission to take holiday at the same day....:( and that was it.

Wasn't really expecting anything else tbh.

As a follow up and to be fair to MB Basingstoke I should mention that I received a letter from them this morning.

It mentioned that they had read the comments in the MbClub forum and wished to write a written response to me. They also offered a free wash and vacuum to remedy the poor one and £50 off my next service.

This seems a suitable and appreciated response.
Initially I thought - whoa! they are reading my forum posts and then writing to me unrequested! But, on reflection at least they are proactive in dealing with negative publicity.

Steve

I find it very refreshing that a dealer actually reads the forums and takes action... thumbs up to MB Basingstoke - Tony Purslow for proactive customer service. :thumb:

Had mine in at their guildford branch and service dept was excellent. Very good prices too. The saleman in used cars was not very good unfortunately but overall, a positive eerience from their service dept.

Not that close to me anymore now I've moved from B'Stoke, but do you pay to be a member of the TP Platinum Plus service? Benefits look good!

do you pay to be a member of the TP Platinum Plus service? Benefits look good!
No, it's completely free. Unfortunately they have just dropped the free MOTs, but you do only pay £20 (including a full interior/exterior valet if you want it) - which is a pretty good discount. I take my SL to M-B Guildford even though there's a (non-TP group) dealership just down the road from my house ...

Just taken my sickly SLK into TP @ Guildford as local indy was unable to diagnose the fault...have been impressed with customer service so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom