Tony Purslows - Dogs Danglies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
I know I've raved about Tony Purslows in Basingstoke over the past few months and the absolutely fantastic service they give.

Well .....

Left home this morning to drive to work as usual. Noted that there was a pecualir feel with the steering - it was like I was driving on 2 wheels. I pulled into a garage a mile up the road expecting to see 2 flat or semi-flat tyres .... but nope - they were perfect. I could not see anything else obvious, so I drove slowly to work (which was well dodgy I have to confess).

Anyhow thinking about it I thought I'd stop off at Purslows and see if someone could just have a quick shify at it, see what might be wrong, and I'd get it fixed another day/elsewhere.

Receptionist (K hummmm) said they would try, but couldn't promise anything as they were mega-maxed out today. I was happy to leave the car there and walked the 10 mins to work.

Got a phone call at 4:30 today .... along the lines of ....

"Well, we've all checked it over - the suspension, etc is all AOK. The only problem we could find was the steering damper was well past it and had to have to a new one. So we fitted that, road tested it, re-checked the car and it's ready for you."

So, £60 later it almost drove like a brand new car (all I need now are new font tyres/alloys).

So MAJOR hats off to Purslows and their fantastic service. Long may it continue.

And I had a nice chat with one of the managers afters. AND he apologise most profusely for not having had the car valeted!

I really cannot fault them (yet again).

Purslows ROCK. :rock:

Maxi K(ev)

P.S. - I don't work for Purslows, have any association with them whatsoever, except as a customer, but they're still cool.

P.P.S. Hurrah for Purslows.:bannana:

Last edited:
That's great news Kinky :D Banana's all round eh? :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Seems like these steering dampers have been dropping like flies recently :eek: Luckily they're not expbenzive to replace, either parts or labour.

Your experience reminds me of when my Air Mass Sensor failed recently, the customer service at S.G. Swansea was perfect. Shame in my case my wallet came out more battered than yours here :p

It's always great to hear of positive dealer experiences, I just wish the other dealers with bad rep's could learn from their peers :rolleyes:

S.

Steve (I've got a few of your albums here),

Doesn't it make it a pleasure to actually go to the main dealer now?

I could never see myself at a Ford/vauxhall/mainstream dealer and chatting about all sorts with one of their managers, or even getting home to look and fix it that day unbooked!

Do MB not do any 'mystery shopper' type tests on their dealerships - to test/review the quality of their service?

I'll tell you what - it's been a big relief!

K

Originally posted by Kinky
Steve (I've got a few of your albums here)

Cool, :D You can join my fan club too if you want and have you considered purchasing my Star Wars Novel? :p :p Things haven't been the same since Journey split.

Doesn't it make it a pleasure to actually go to the main dealer now?

I wouldn't quite go that far hehe I've been financially mauled over the last couple of months what with MAS failure and a service
cry.gif
but to be fair customer service has been exemplary throughout.

I could never see myself at a Ford/vauxhall/mainstream dealer and chatting about all sorts with one of their managers, or even getting home to look and fix it that day unbooked!

I think if the dealer senses you are an avid enthusiast of the marque and your own vehicle you get a bit more respect from them than the run-of-the-mill Mercedes owner who they probably view as a walking cash till.

Do MB not do any 'mystery shopper' type tests on their dealerships - to test/review the quality of their service?

Now there's a good idea to suggest to the powers that be at MB MK
wink.gif

S.

Last edited:
Actually - I'll tell you what did pee me off big stylie at Purslows this evening ..... it was another customer.

His car was in for it's service and he arrive to come collect it. I thought he was ever so rude and arrogant to the receptionist.

Why oh why?

He was an old boy, and I've no idea what car it was or how new/old.

But he was just plain downright rude :mad:

K

Actually - I'll tell you what did pee me off big stylie at Purslows this evening ..... it was another customer......

shocked.gif
I had exactly the same... after I had collected my car from it's MAS replacement, the service receptionist said "Oh I haven't had a chance to prepare the bill, never mind take your car and the bill will be posted to you, pay it when you can." Heh how many garages do you know with that kind of attitude? Well approx a week later the bill finally arrives in the post so I nipped round to pay. Lo-and-Behold there was an old codger at the service desk with an extremely bad attitude giving the receptionist a load of verbal and wanting complete justification for every single penny of his bill :rolleyes: He was grumbling rudely at every cost breakdown, saying how he could get the parts/job alot cheaper at another garage. Extremely ignorant :mad: I thought to myself, "Well why don't you pi$$ off to this other garage and give the rest of us some peace, all I wanna do is pay and leave". Anyways the service manager sees me loitering and staring in disbelief at this ar$e of a customer, he said to me "Is there a problem, can I help you sir?", me "Not at all, I've come to pay a bill", Service Manager "Oh very good, I never refuse an offer for money" hehe I laughed so hard :devil: I dunno if old codger heard or not.

S.

Last edited:
I hope I never end up like that.

Steve - are you sure your dealer is not the Welsh branch of the Purslow MB chain? Or vice versa?

Certainly sounds like it !

K

Last edited:
I hope I never end up like that.

Steve - are you sure your dealer is not the Welsh branch of the Purslow MB chain?

Certainly sounds like it !

K

If I ever turn out as rude, arrogant and intolerant as that, I hope somebody shoots me. :rolleyes: :devil:

They sure do sound like they're run by the same crew don't they?

S.

"Oh I haven't had a chance to prepare the bill, never mind take your car and the bill will be posted to you, pay it when you can." Heh how many garages do you know with that kind of attitude?

My local Rover garage did this, before Rover got rid of lots of dealers. They now do Protons.

Originally posted by PJH
My local Rover garage did this, before Rover got rid of lots of dealers. They now do Protons.

What used to be the Mercedes franchised dealer in Watford - J.R. Tagger is now a Harley-Davidson dealer
cool.gif
The new MB controlled dealer is just up the road next to a B&Q I think.

PJH, it's pleasantly refeshing when you get service like that isn't it? :)

S.

I just had that very thing happen today with the Alfa.

Mrs Kinky went to pick it up earlier than expected (Mr. Kinky @ work) and they said they had no paperwork ready but they'd send it out to us in the post and we could settle up!

And yes - it's been an expensive week for cars!

As for the MB - I arrived at Micheldevers this morning at 07:40 and was pleased to see I was 2nd in the queue. 2 new tyres and tracking later @ £130 I was away and it feels even more new than it did yesterday!

What was interesting .... the guy who did the tracking asked me when it was last done. I said April to which he was impressed as it was almost perfect!

Just gotta get it MOT'd now! :crazy:

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Passed the MOT with flying colours - no worries.

K

Passed the MOT with flying colours - no worries.

K

Any info about the ride height you posted elsewhere ?

Last edited:
PJH,

All I can say is that Purslows passed it with flying colours - could see/find nothing wrong. Then at Micheldevers both the tyre fitter and tracking guy could see nothing wrong and I neglected to mention it at the garage that did the MOT (just in case).

I am going to go back to Purslows again and actually show the 'problem' to one of the mechanics.

The difference is still there and is visible.

Having said that the ride is much better. As an aside - over the weekend I checked the panels just in case that was causing the visual problem, but all checked out and measured ok.

I'm still on the case, and when I have an update it will be posted here.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom