Too hot to trot !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aerialmark

Car
E320 cdi avantgarde auto
Hi I am a new member to your forum,I am the new owner of a 2001 E320 CDI Avantgarde auto.I have owned it for 7hours and already I am having problems,when I took it for a test drive it was a shotish run and I parked it up pondered and then bought it.On getting it home a slightly longer run I put it on the driveway and switched it off when I came back out 5 mins later it would not start !.I tryed it for a good 10 mins but to no avail so I left it. When I went back half hour later after a lot of turns of the engine it started but now I dont want to turn it off when I am out. Can anybody give any idea of what the trouble may be and how do you rate the car, have I bought a lot of trouble ? The car has done 130 000 miles. Thankyou ...............

The sensor is about £45, labour about 1 Hr. Surely the selling garage should pay, or was it a private sale?

There is another possibility, the injectors might be leaking back too much. You can test for this yourself by unclipping the leak off pipe and watching for fuel flow, it should be minimal.
I'd still go for the crank sensor though.

Last edited:
It was a private sale and I think he knew thats why he did not want me to go far.If that is what it is going to cost for peace of mind I dont mind paying as it is better than leaving engine running everytime I go out.:) Just one other thing Deiselman then I will let you enjoy the rest of Sunday, when the starter motor turns its bloody loud is this normal ?

It's positioned just above the starter motor so a bit awkward to get to.

Crank sensor, as said about 20 - 30 mins max.

The car in question is very reliable (most of the time). Hope you get it sorted.

Hi the crankshaft sensor has been replaced and all is well, the chap I bought it off even paid for it doing at my local garage as he only lives half a mile from me. Dont think he wanted me to keep bothering him but still jolly nice of him all the same. Just one more thing to bother you people with when I am on the motorway at about 70mph I can hear somthing coming from the rear of the car its like a high pitched continous humming sound which alters with the speed of the car and a very low speed feels like something grating (maybe thats a bit harsh). I have had a new front wheel bearing fitted as I thought it was that but its still the same. can you help, by the way how do you make cruise work I click it down but it drops out after 2 or 3 seconds !
Thankyou...........

The noise sounds like either a wheel bearing or the differential. Check the fluid level.
The cruise works as follows: The lever/arm is a four way switch. Whilst driving at the speed you wish to maintain, push the lever upwards. To increase your already set speed, push up again and only let go once the desired speed is reached. To reduce the set speed, push down on the lever and hold until the lower desired speed is reached. Pushing the lever fowards (towards the dash) will cancel turn the cuise off, as will touchng the accelerator or brake pedal. To resume to the last set speed pull the lever towards you. Once the ignition has been turned off the last set speed is erased. Hope that helps. No doubt an even cleverer member willbe along shortly to add more:D

The noise sounds like either a wheel bearing or the differential. Check the fluid level.
The cruise works as follows: The lever/arm is a four way switch. Whilst driving at the speed you wish to maintain, push the lever upwards. To increase your already set speed, push up again and only let go once the desired speed is reached. To reduce the set speed, push down on the lever and hold until the lower desired speed is reached. Pushing the lever fowards (towards the dash) will cancel turn the cuise off, as will touchng the accelerator or brake pedal. To resume to the last set speed pull the lever towards you. Once the ignition has been turned off the last set speed is erased. Hope that helps. No doubt an even cleverer member willbe along shortly to add more:D

Everything said above is correct :thumb: I like to choose my speed a bit differently. I get up to my desired speed using the accelerator then press down the lever and let go of everything (lever and pedal). Speed is registered. Changing speed is also also up or down and letting go when you each the desired speed.

Thankyou for that both of you I will try it tomorrow,the garage have looked at the car today and said its not a wheel bearing (I have just had one done) but cannot find anything untoward.It is starting to annoy me as I can hear it all the time and the faster the car goes the faster the grating noise.I may have to take it to another garage.I would just like to add despite all the problems this is my first Mercedes and I absolutly love it,the ride (apart from said grinding sort of noise) the comfort and all the gadgets to play with. I will persevere and get it all sorted with a little help from yourselves on this forum.Should have bought one years ago might have had it sorted by now :thumb:

Cheapo tyres can cause this noise too.

The first Mercedes I ever bought (an E270 CDi) had the exact same hum and it was because it had 4 Lingtang tyres on.

Changed all four to Pirelli P7s and it was like being in a library...

I have a grinding noise with my C240T. Checked front bearings and they seemed fine. However, I have good quality tyres (Michelin) all round on 17" staggered wheels. The sound is noticeable at low speed and tends to disappear as speed increases (lost in other running noises). I have now decided to change the front bearings on both sides as a last measure. If it still remains after that, I fear it could be something on the autobox :eek:. Fluid and filter changed in there about 10,000 km ago. Rear differential oil also changed.

It could be this: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/113686-propshaft-like-vibration.html

Last edited:
Changed the bearings in both hubs but the noise has not been eliminated :wallbash: Not in transmission either. What could it be :confused::confused:

Everything said above is correct :thumb: I like to choose my speed a bit differently. I get up to my desired speed using the accelerator then press down the lever and let go of everything (lever and pedal). Speed is registered. Changing speed is also also up or down and letting go when you each the desire but if I try to set d speed.

I have tryed this and it works if I am traveling under 50mph but if I try to set it at say 70mph it works for about 4 or 5 seconds then drops out !do you have any thoughs on that ? As for the noise it is not getting any worse or better so I am thinking of taking it to a Mercedes dealer, costly I know but it is very annoying and I want it sorted .(does anybody know a good Mercedes mechanic in the Lancashire area (Burnley) ? So many questions I know but thankyou for your time and effort :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom