Tools. What's in your box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only thing that puts me off black tools is when you drop say a 10mm spanner down into the engine bay at least a shiny 1 will be easier to find again

Exactly, to be fair though you can never reach it. :)

To be honest. On all of my cars there are undertray/bash plates. Every now and again I like to don a had hat and drop the tray. This releases a monsoon of hardware.

The worst of the worst is anti-freeze on bare hands with chrome spanner’s. A recipe for disaster.

But why does a dropped tool/ component always end up hidden? I have lost power steering fluid cap on my AMG (never found)

Two. Yes TWO windscreen washer reservoir caps on my wife’s X5.

A brand new 13mm gearless wrench on undoing a thermostat on my Pajero. That turned up over a year later when I had to remove the radiator. It was wedged under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate losing tools in engine bays, the worst ones are the ones where you can see the tool, just touch it with your fingers and it will appear to be free and when you get something on it to flick it out it either disappears further out of reach or its totally wedged it there and needs to be pulled at a certain angle so it doesnt jam. I have seen me spend 45 mins retreiving a lost something taking apart other stuff to get it

They look like nicely made ratchet spanners them, the body around the ratcheting part doesnt look too big and bulky

They look like nicely made ratchet spanners them, the body around the ratcheting part doesnt look too big and bulky

True. I have had this issue with flex head ratchet spanner’s where the heads are too bulky making them useless on suspension arms, between bush and chassis.

Not wishing to sound like a Halfords zealot here but they really have upped their game in the tools/design space. They are certainly amongst the best for price when you include warranty and quality. Add to this their excellent storage and they are becoming the complete deal. If you can? Try and get a Trade Card from them. You can find you get upwards of 50% discount on certain items.

I have always loved tools.
I've never begrudged the cost of tools.
Use them once and they've usually paid for themselves.

Yea i have a trade card, bulbs and wipers are uber cheap with it

More pretty colours arrived today.

81ab9d279e61bc43c3d52573ba8a7b13.jpg
35849f047b68ea33a5641af5e5350318.jpg

ANTIQUE ....GAS ( TWO STROKE ) POWERED DRILL.

I am going to nobble Bruces Tool Thread for this, as I am sure he will not mind.
Having sold new and used tools now for over 35 years I found this youtube by a chap who seems to enjoy reviving old generators and the like. I can watch these sort of things all day long, as well as Ham Radio and other electronic item repairs. Boring, I know !
Anyway, I had never seen one of these petrol drills before, what a novelty these days, after everyone and his dog has a battery drill or 2 or several.
So the first youtube is listed below, and for those with more time to spare than is healthy, there is a part 2.........Interestingly I was reading some of the comments below the video and seems these were often used for drilling into Maple trees to get at the sugar, and not only but also, there is one for sale on Ebay.
I bet you is all getting getting the popcorn ready !!.........

Steve.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Vintage O&R DRILLGRINE GAS-POWERED DRILL | eBay

A slight reorganisation was required in the ratchet spanner drawers. This was needed after Halfords introduced spanner’s that I had to have and therefore make room for. It also gave me reason to use my Sealey Sharks Teeth Coloured Spanner Racks. I noticed that if I mounted them side on in the drawers, all the spanner’s fell out if you shut the drawer with any level of force. Yes they are “soft close drawers”.

02d252342ded24079d56b4b98ed07771.jpg
2bba276f5a607ccaa50e61ec727e04c4.jpg
ed594de582618d323b40dd7ceacf0e8a.jpg

I dont know if your aware of this but you can get magnetic spanner holders, i use them in my box and think they are brilliant

I have tried the magnetic bars/rails but they do not give me all I want with spanner’s (yet). They do Stop most of the issues of tools moving in the drawers.

What I really need is “Magnetic Sharks Fin” racks.

I don't have much in the way of mechanic's type tools, but do have a large collection of building tools, including a fair bit of Festool equipment. :)
Currently building a new hen-house - 8'x12', using the frame of our old greenhouse, lots of timber and Onduline, corrugated pitch sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom