Tools. What's in your box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
aaa5db84-f996-40a1-b683-abbd8582c8e5.jpg
Well it had to be done (did it not?) I had for a long time now, hankered after the idea of having larger storage units that allow for being moved around the garage (if required) and for laying out my tools in a fashion that they can be easily seen and accessed as well as kept clean and tidy with an obvious 'gap' should any tool not be returned to it's proper place.

I saw these in Bunnings and fell in love. This is a 15 'soft close' drawer unit, that is made of Stainless Steel with tough rubber lining in the drawers , brakes on the wheels and a hardwood worktop. It will cater for most sizes of tools that I use and need. I now need to re-plan the garage as I have good selection of multi drawer stand alone chests (Mainly US PRO & Halfords) some of which I shall retain and some I may look to move on. The big push for me here was the move by Halfords into their Advanced Tray sets where tools come in logical sets that are well set out on tough trays t give easy access and an instant view of missing tools (you spot a theme here with me) I hate losing one tool in a set.

The buying experience with Bunnings was a complete shocker on what, I would consider to be a high cost item. I may yet regret using them for this? They showed a complete and utter unwillingness to get involved or help in any way that suggested that they wanted a sale (and I am not a difficult sale here, having told them I "wanted it"). It took three separate visits to the store on three separate days, just to get a price that they could not find in-store or online. Eventually a call to their manager, who also struggled to find a price (which by then I had found by visiting their Australian web site. One starts to wonder if this is why they have struggled and are now reportedly selling the business back to Homebase?

For now, I shall enjoy this. I don't buy many 'big ticket' treats these days but I really wanted this and Olly at PCS has a similar set up that he showed me and I loved. Fingers Crossed. I shall spend the weekend planning and re-filling it before just sitting back and staring longingly at it.

Last edited:
Looks Great. We now have a Bunnings in Walton and the same feed back from people i know say they haven't a clue. What can you expect with a name like "Bunnings" !!!:D

Well Bruce's recent tool storage purchase certainly knocks mine into a cocked hat :( The best I can come up with is a 1/2 inch drive T60 torx bit from Halfords. Needed to change the belt tensioner on my CLK. I may hang it on the lounge wall and add some soft mood lighting to highlight it.........:rolleyes:

SGS have the 8 foot at £1,200, the one I saw earlier was on the Bunnings Australia website.

96" Stainless Steel 24 Drawer Work Bench Tool Chest Cabinet

Ultimate 96

I got a little confused over the pricing, Bunnings 8 foot is the same price as the much deeper 6 foot island storage unit, not the 6 foot storage workbench.

I have already been out in the garage with a tape measure, I think tools and their storage is becoming an addiction.

My 6’ cab arrives tomorrow. I’m now looking forward to laying it out and dry fitting everything. A bit silly maybe. But it is great when you get everything as you want it. Just in time for the next idea ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it has alloy wheels!

Sat here awaiting delivery of my new tool chest (can double as a coffin and may have to) and look what’s gone and happened now? Somebody has snuck a set of rather lovely Halfords Advanced very tactile Torx Spanners (nice long reach) within range of my grasp.

I mean, obviously I needed them and would struggle without them.

Possibly some much needed work on Mrs M’s BMW would require the use of such fabulous spanner’s. And......... They look nice too.
24268f09178c6cc770dccac2289e986b.jpg

You will have to get the matching set of sockets now

I thought I had all types of tools until my wife bought me these open ended ratchet spanners,at first I thought "a gimmick they'll be crap"but so far they have been fantastic and very useful for working in tight spaces where only small angles of leverage is possible, and they seem very robust image.jpeg

Those Alden/Chicago Brand ratchets look just the thing for delving into W124 pipework innards, Bruce.

Now being discounted by Tools-Warehouse:
Search Results For 'Alden' - Tools-Warehouse.co.uk, Brand Tools. Value Prices.

Polished stainless steel should feel good when taken out one at a time for a good handling.

Let us know what the're like in the flesh.

(Currently trying to avoid tool mania, but its proving difficult)

Taking a leaf from Bruce's book we took some broke Halfords Prof. parts back yesterday.

No receipt, no quibble, exchanged without question. ^

Those Alden/Chicago Brand ratchets look just the thing for delving into W124 pipework innards, Bruce.

Now being discounted by Tools-Warehouse:
Search Results For 'Alden' - Tools-Warehouse.co.uk, Brand Tools. Value Prices.

Polished stainless steel should feel good when taken out one at a time for a good handling.

Let us know what the're like in the flesh.

(Currently trying to avoid tool mania, but its proving difficult)

Yes they do look good in action. I wonder what they are like with any real load on them? The great thing is, these are able start the process off. As we saw with his 'premium' spanner' it couldn't manage that part.

The tool box looks good Bruce, mine arrives next week.

Its going to take days to sort the old storage/shelves out and fill this new one.

Codger

So far I am impressed. The box arrived with the castors fitted and very well packaged indeed. Just screw on the handles and away you go.

I’m dry fitting to give me a fair chance at getting it how I want it. But so far it really is doing all I asked. It’s a step up for me in terms of cost etc. But I’m glad I made that move.

The drawers do seem well sized to handle most tools including power/air ones and that is (again) what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom