Top Gear: Complaints to BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forget Top Gear, what about the Eurovision when that bloke on the dutch panel asked the male presenter about his 'nice' shirt and could he have his mobile number after the show! The dutchbloke was having a real laugh but the male presenter just didn't get it. Now that must have offended someone somewhere, but I for one found it very very funny.
Les

Personally, I find political correctness extremely offensive. But for many it's a good earner that comes with an index-linked final-salary pension, a holiday home in the home counties (or France, if you did mods) plus a clear conscience when you die. What could be nicer (if you have nothing else to offer)?

Birdman said:
Personally, I find political correctness extremely offensive.

By pure coincidence we have just heard an extract from Fawlty Towers on the adio. The hotel this series is based upon has just been refurbished and as a publicity ploy they are trying to locate a Morris 1100 estate?? similar to Basils car that he liked to attack with a broom!!

Anyway the extract they used was the 'German one'

German, "Will you stop talking about the war?"

Basil, "You started it!"

German, "NO I NEVER"

Basil, "Yes you did, you invaded Poland!!" :D :D

Absolutely brilliant, very funny and a brilliant program. The hotel, Glen Eagles is in a very narrow, congested road with no views of the sea whatsoever. Not even from on top of the tv aerial!!!

What really appeals to me though is how the modern German armed services are held in such high regard by all NATO forces, and we would always laugh and joke about the second World War, thee are always no, no's that are never funny but gee whizz, get a life, it is history and I just wish that political correctness was history, there is no place for it, or its supporters. Never mind ban the bomb, ban political correctness instead.

John Chairperson of the PC 45th Foot in mouth Brigade

A friend who served in Germany for many years with REME, and ran the main battle tank maintenance operation for BAOR, once commented over a pint that during the big NATO exercises the British were never happier than when they had German forces flanking them since the Bundeswehr not only did what they said they would do but did it on time and liased closely with the Brits.

The worst flanking forces, he said, were not the French (who though not in NATO joined them on major exercises) but the Americans, who operated as a law unto themselves, knocked off for a rest whenever they felt like it, and had no inclination to liase over anything (not that I'm meaning to be unkind to the yanks). I rather think the Brits secretly respect and like the Germans for their serious mindedness, which also becomes the butt of our humour because that's the way we are. Besides, historically we're a pretty Germanic people ourselves. But there's no room for these subtleties to the PC mind which sees everything only in black and white (and would probably take exception to that figure of speech too).

BonzoDog said:
If he dared to do the Nazi salute in Germany it is more than likely that he would be given the same treatment as that other despicable creature David Irving.

I like Germans and I like Germany.
I also quite like a good laugh.
Humour is invariably at someone else's expense.
Never really understood the German/Austrian attitude to nazi salutes now and locking people up for it while a good idea is actually seventy years too late!;)

gary350 said:
I bet Mel Gibson thought his remarks to be funny to, in Connie Francis words "who sorry now".

I am with Pontoneer I do not watch Top smear anymore shame I llike cars.

gary

It is hardly fair to compare Clarkson's remarks, and the context in which they were made, with Gibson's.

Mel Gibson's outburst was aligned with his "previous" - being the film about the death of JC (Jesus Christ, not Jeremy Clarkson) which clearly suggested blame lay with the Jews, and the fact that his father is (allegedly, according to what I've read in the papers) a rabid anti-semite and holocaust denier.

Clarkson is just a big-mouthed tv presenter who talks rubbish but is mostly very funny.

nickg said:
It is hardly fair to compare Clarkson's remarks, and the context in which they were made, with Gibson's.

Mel Gibson's outburst was aligned with his "previous" - being the film about the death of JC (Jesus Christ, not Jeremy Clarkson) which clearly suggested blame lay with the Jews, and the fact that his father is (allegedly, according to what I've read in the papers) a rabid anti-semite and holocaust denier.

Clarkson is just a big-mouthed tv presenter who talks rubbish but is mostly very funny.

In Singapore you have none of these problems. No person there has ever seen the material in order to question its value.

nickg said:

I am not taking all of this serious its just that do you have limits on what is said (humour is not an excuse) or is it a free for all, imagine what it would be like without some form of censorship. The other to$$er is Jonathan Ross but my age allows me to have these outbursts on morality.

gary

I agree. Ross is one of the most over-rated to$$ers ever to have graced our screens.

You are right - there are boundaries.

Clarkson gets away with it because he is deliberately SO offensive that the viewer, understanding him to be so, recognises that he is ONLY doing it for effect, and not because he is racist/bigoted/unpleasant.

Everybody knows you can't get away with the kind of comments that he makes, if there is even the slightest suggestion that you mean them.
He does it for effect.

When he touches on a subject that relates to one's own particular background or circumstances then yes, I am sure it is be hurtful.

So you have done as you saw fit and turned over to another channel. Fair enough.

Hi Nickj I see we are keeping this post alive, what I would like to say is having in the past been asked to assess people I have always found that those that try to put humour into everything they say are usually people that lack confidence and use this "humour" to overcome this confidence thing, not that Mr Clarkson and Ross are lacking in confidence but they could have in the past and its stuck with them, so next time you watch them just think behind that facade they are just wobbly jellies. Oh one last thing, with this humour thing there is also a side that tries to embarras whoever is in the vicinity Clarkson, Ross and Barrymore always do this. My next clinic is tomorrow at 9:00hrs.

gary

gary350 said:
My next clinic is tomorrow at 9:00hrs.
:D :) Whatever you do..... Do not give up your day job!!

Jolly John (always smiling)

Sorry chaps. I am not talking about political correctness. Please do not sideline this argument by applying an inaccurate and inappropriate label.
One of the most odious political movements of all times was the Nazi party. In its name many evils were done.
I find the Nazi salute and buffoons who execute it highly offensive. Ignorance is not an excuse and using it to gain cheap laughs is pathetic.
You can make as many jokes about Brits, Germans, Europeans as you like. One's character is measured by your ability to take a joke.
But I am not talking about jokes. For me this is a matter of common decency.

glojo said:
The hotel this series is based upon has just been refurbished and as a publicity ploy they are trying to locate a Morris 1100 estate?? similar to Basils car that he liked to attack with a broom!!
Broom? I remember it getting a "damn good thrashing" from Basil weilding a tree branch! :D

Shude said:
Broom? I remember it getting a "damn good thrashing" from Basil weilding a tree branch! :D

Are you thinking of the film Clockwise, rather than Fawlty Towers?

nickg said:
Are you thinking of the film Clockwise, rather than Fawlty Towers?
No, it was the "Gourmet Night" episode when the chef fell in love with Manuel and got so drunk that he couldn't cook, Basil went to his friend's restaurant to pick up several orders of duck but accidently ended up with cake or something and had to go back, on the way there his car broke down and he threatened to give it a "damn good thrashing". Seconds later he reappears with a large tree branch and proceeds to beat the car up with it :D

You really feel for the guy in the episode because he basically does everything he can to make it work and it all falls down around him, although he did set up a few falls for himself I think it was less than usual ;)

I think Top Gear is the best Programme the BBC make!! Jeremy Clarkson is so funny and I love it when he slates other nationalities, it makes my sides split with laughter. I wish all the BBC programming schedule were as good!!!. Anyone who finds his comments or views offensive are just stupid PC morons who can't take a joke!!!!

rees_A said:
I think Top Gear is the best Programme the BBC make!! Jeremy Clarkson is so funny and I love it when he slates other nationalities, it makes my sides split with laughter. I wish all the BBC programming schedule were as good!!!. Anyone who finds his comments or views offensive are just stupid PC morons who can't take a joke!!!!

Well there you are then. That's settled that one.

:rolleyes:

PJ

Shude said:
No, it was the "Gourmet Night" episode when the chef fell in love with Manuel and got so drunk that he couldn't cook, Basil went to his friend's restaurant to pick up several orders of duck but accidently ended up with cake or something and had to go back, on the way there his car broke down and he threatened to give it a "damn good thrashing". Seconds later he reappears with a large tree branch and proceeds to beat the car up with it :D

You really feel for the guy in the episode because he basically does everything he can to make it work and it all falls down around him, although he did set up a few falls for himself I think it was less than usual ;)

The car thrashing scene was filmed at the end of my Nans road in Kenton, at the corner of Lapstone Gardens and Mentmore Close .....

The restaurant he picks the duck up from is located on Preston Road in Wembley ...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

rees_A said:

Its a bit unfair to have a go at the police what has PC Morons done to you.

gary

gary350 said:
Its a bit unfair to have a go at the police what has PC Morons done to you.
gary

:D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom