Top Gear economy challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got 800 miles to a tank in Mrs Sp!kes S60 D5 in summer and the computer was saying I still had 50 miles to empty. I wasn't even thinking about economy either.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I got his figure from my S Class a month ago. :)
With a 19.8 gal tank that’s a theoretical 1050 miles on one tank. In reality the most I have done is 850 as I don’t see the need to be stopped at the roadside and have no first hand experience of how easy the V6 is to re-pressure the common rail.:confused:
This won’t compete with the smaller engined diesel cars, but I defy anyone to travel in such a comfortable, quiet and relaxed manner so far between fill ups!:D
My car seems to return the same sort of figures on both 18" and 19" wheels (both 255 section) but the 19" run a slightly higher (0.2 bar) pressure to achieve this.
The car lowers itself at 75mph (is that legal in GB?) but I have lowered it statically by 20mm which has demostrably improved fuel consumption and I have yet to see any downsides as both the ride and tyre wear are the same and the handling has improved:D

Last edited:
Parkers has both the E220 and E320 down as a 65l tank as standard, can't seem to find many other sources to back this up or disprove it though.

When you fill up from nigh on empty you'll have an idea of the tanks capacity. Some of the 65 litre/80 litre figures being quoted are for the 211, not the 210 that you have.

You're exercise in brimming the tank will never yield the best mpg when the car is full of fuel, diesel is quite dense and 65 litres of the stuff in the back as opposed to say 12 will make a difference to the MPG, maybe only 1mpg in my car but still observed in the readout.

Are they, which ones.?

The 211 220cdi has a 65 litre tank (or is is 62- anyway its dissappointingly small), the 80 litre tank is an option. A user on here has a 211 220cdi with the 80 litre tank but it was an option on his car. The 320cdi has a 80litre one as standard, I don't know about the 270cdi :confused:.

IIRC the standard tank on a w210 is 70L the upgraded tank is 80L.

All petrol models other than n/a 200 have the larger tank and all diesels other than 320 Cdi have the smaller tank.

A VIN check will reveal whether the upgrade is fitted.

You've mentioned a 70 litre capacity and 80 litre one.
Personally I'd like to see a 100 litre tank standard. I could have done the Gaydon GTG there and back on one tank with enough for the commute to work. And then being so ££ to fill up I could whinge about how much it costs ;)

Last edited:
The 211 220cdi has a 65 litre tank (or is is 62- anyway its dissappointingly small), the 80 litre tank is an option.

But the car is a W210..

But the car is a W210..

I'm confused. OPs car is a 210. I thought the 70 litre figures you mentioned were for that 210 car. The 211 has a 65 litre tank and 80 litre optional tank in 220cdi guise. I don't see how the 65 litre figure ties in with the 210 car.

I'm confused. OPs car is a 210. I thought the 70 litre figures you mentioned were for that 210 car. The 211 has a 65 litre tank and 80 litre optional tank in 220cdi guise. I don't see how the 65 litre figure ties in with the 210 car.

Estate, as posted.;)

Madness, so the heavier less economical variant gets a smaller tank :rolleyes:. 3 variants of tank seems daft. Give everyone the big one.

Where do you put it.? The standard tank is 70L with the more thirsty estate getting 65 litres. The guzzlers get an 80 litre tank so they don't have to stop too often.
As you said fuel weighs so costs economy, and takes space.

The estate can't have the large tank as there isn't enough space for it.

Last edited:
Estates should have a 65 litre tank, saloons 70Litre, larger engined saloons 80 Litre.
Check the VIN in the Rusky VIN checker to see whether yours has a larger tank option fitted. Mine does.

Where do you put it.? The standard tank is 70L with the more thirsty estate getting 75 litres. The guzzlers get an 80 litre tank so they don't have to stop too often.

The estate can't have the large tank as there isn't enough space for it.
Now I'm confused?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom