Top Gear HD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Just a heads up - from November Top Gear will be in High Def.

Mike

Oh no - Clarkson, May and Hammond in full close-up detail...not sure this will be family viewing....

Is there a BBC2 Hi Def channel?

If not, whats the point?

Cant remember if there is a bbc hd channel on Sky, but I think there is.
Not sure about Freesat

Cant remember if there is a bbc hd channel on Sky, but I think there is.
Not sure about Freesat

So I cant access BBC HD purely out of TV license fees? I have to purchase sky too? :(

Where I live no one is allowed a satellite dish. so Sky and Freesat are not an option.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

You said where you live you aren't allowed satellite dishes, so I assumed this was because you rent or live in a flat.

Mounting a dish DIY in your attic would get around that.

I live in a conservation area hence no dishes.

That thread basically said you couldn't have a dish in the attic (unless you changed or removed the roof tiles) as I understood it,

If you aren't allowed a dish ON the house, then why not mount it in the back garden on a small dustbin full of concrete - or anything heavy enough for an average wind not to blow it off alignment.
Or would that not be allowed either?

You can also put one inside a glasshouse, or in a shed with a glass door pointing the right way. Plain thin glass does not attenuate the signal much (you can compensate with a bigger dish!)

Conservatory is a good location too.

You could possibly look at the clear or selfsat options here too

Do you know whether existing Freeview boxes will be compatible with the HD signal?

'Normal' boxes which aren't designated HD ready (or equivalent) won't be able to cope with HD, so new box/TV time I'm afraid.

Freeview HD will be on a roll-out basis so you'd still need to be near a HD transmitter initially :doh:

Rather more info here:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewhd.html

Is there a BBC2 Hi Def channel?

If not, whats the point?

The point being that everyone is able to access BBC HD, via Sky HD or Freesat with a satellite dish and suitable receiving boxes. Because you cannot put up a satellite dish hardly makes it a pointless service from the BBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom