Top Gear Key Fob Trick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Someone in my office reminded me today of the trick Clarkson tried on Top Gear many moons ago where he could activate the central locking on his R230 SL from very long range by operating the fob against the side of his head.

Needless to say it actually worked [at a range of 150m on the 2nd floor of a building].

Why should this work - and have I fried my brain as a result?

Someone in my office reminded me today of the trick Clarkson tried on Top Gear many moons ago where he could activate the central locking on his R230 SL from very long range by operating the fob against the side of his head.

Needless to say it actually worked [at a range of 150m on the 2nd floor of a building].

Why should this work - and have I fried my brain as a result?

Its an RF signal and your body is acting as an aerial, and no,if you have a big head the range is not increased, you can also play games with the IR section and bounce it off other cars in a car park or off walls

Your body acts as an aerial/booster.
Years ago, I was told that when your alarm battery (anyone remember the old Moss alarms?:eek: ) was going flat, to hold the fob on your chin to make it work better.
Of course, I could have just changed the batteries.:rolleyes:

Its an RF signal and your body is acting as an aerial, and no,if you have a big head the range is not increased, you can also play games with the IR section and bounce it off other cars in a car park or off walls
How does it effectively amplify the signal then? I would have thought that there would be signal loss if anything....

Your body acts as an aerial/booster.
Years ago, I was told that when your alarm battery (anyone remember the old Moss alarms?:eek: ) was going flat, to hold the fob on your chin to make it work better.
Of course, I could have just changed the batteries.:rolleyes:

Yep, I've done this before. Years ago I had a Toad Alarm on my VW Vento and I was able to lock & unlock from a few hundred meters away by pulling this trick. I discovered it by accident, I hadn't locked the car, was running late for lectures and had loads of books in my arms, held the fob under my chin and pressed the button, was impressed that it worked :bannana:. Was really smart because I had total closure control for the windows & sunroof with that (even at that time) :D

Yep, I've done this before. Years ago I had a Toad Alarm on my VW Vento and I was able to lock & unlock from a few hundred meters away by pulling this trick. I discovered it by accident, I hadn't locked the car, was running late for lectures and had loads of books in my arms, held the fob under my chin and pressed the button, was impressed that it worked :bannana:. Was really smart because I had total closure control for the windows & sunroof with that (even at that time) :D

Mine was on a Mk1 3.0 capri:rock:
I had the top of the range Moss alarm with the red flashing light module with a little metal aerial that went in the windscreen.
The cats up my road used to keep setting the alarm off, as they would jump on the bonnet and try and get to the flashing led.
You should see them scarper if I saw them coming and hit the panic button:devil:

The cats up my road used to keep setting the alarm off, as they would jump on the bonnet and try and get to the flashing led.
You should see them scarper if I saw them coming and hit the panic button:devil:

Excellent ! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I remember those Moss alarms, they used to have one with the sensors mounted on a pod with the flashing light, I used to think they looked amazing.

Years ago when I purchased a Jaguar, the salesman showed me this trick.
He claimed that the fillings on you teeth acted as a booster.

Dont know if it's true or not.

Alex.

Alex.

I didn't have any fillings back then:D

Now I just have no teeth:crazy:

How does it effectively amplify the signal then? I would have thought that there would be signal loss if anything....

With anyone making fun of me, and I know that this will not happen, if you stick needles or probes into the side of you head just above the cheek bone, there is a soft spot, with an oscilloscope or very sensitive meter you can get quite strong electric signals, the more you think, the stronger the signals

By putting the remote near this spot you get the maximum amplifying effect, its only the mass of the body, thats it

With anyone making fun of me, and I know that this will not happen, if you stick needles or probes into the side of you head just above the cheek bone, there is a soft spot, with an oscilloscope or very sensitive meter you can get quite strong electric signals, the more you think, the stronger the signals

By putting the remote near this spot you get the maximum amplifying effect, its only the mass of the body, thats it

Don't panic Malcolm, the men in white coats will be there shortly:crazy:

And there was me thinking bad things about the guy I saw on the park bench sticking a needle into himself.......and all he was doing was trying to unlock his car,,,:bannana:

Alex.
them salesmen will say anything to sell there cars:D :D :D

does that not hurt:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom