Top Gear - Merc CL 600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A CL. Is that the one where a replacement shock absorber costs £1000?

That'll be the one. Bear in mind my C class dampers are 450 quid...

I suspect it may be the CL that has more problems. Used to run an 80s BMW albeit only with a 6 cylinder engine. Had it for 13 years(120,000 miles) and apart from routine maintenance virtually nothing failed on it.

That CL was pulling hard it left the BM for dead, it wasnt even close!:eek:

The BMW is significantly older than the CL, a couple generations of technology leaps behind. 80hp less is a result of being at least a decade older.

The BMW is significantly older than the CL, a couple generations of technology leaps behind. 80hp less is a result of being at least a decade older.

Pretty sure a C140 V12 would have spanked the 850i. I think it has more hp than the newer V12?

did realize the massive difference in hp between a cl600 and a biturbo model 1 year later. The biturbo is almost 50% more powerful.
500 hp compared to 360hp. I mean why would you buy a v12 with 360hp when you can get a v8 same year for around 300hp and less running costs? The difference is worth it for extra 150 hp.

did realize the massive difference in hp between a cl600 and a biturbo model 1 year later. The biturbo is almost 50% more powerful.
500 hp compared to 360hp. I mean why would you buy a v12 with 360hp when you can get a v8 same year for around 300hp and less running costs? The difference is worth it for extra 150 hp.

May explain the £6k price and not the bull beans twin turbo facelift at around £15k minimum.

A CL. Is that the one where a replacement shock absorber costs £1000?

I knew of someone who had a CL500 shocker replaced and this was the bill from Mercedes although it was covered by the Tier 1 warranty he had luckily.

I loved this TG - 100% on form again.

It is when the warranty company wont pay for it if it is a wear and tear issue.

On continuation of this thread. I saw a Pixo today on my way to work. Silver with white go faster stripes. :doh:

Still slower than my 96 w202 with a dodgy MAF though

Last edited:

The extra 70Nm of torque probably makes more difference than the 60BHP.

just did a cl500 2002 90k, £775 per annum

Except that the TG one was over 120k miles, and so Warranty Direct won't cover.

Between 100K and 120k they will pay 50% parts and 100% labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom