Top Gear - Merc CL 600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Buying a second-hand MG is completely different to a model 1 provided by an OEM.

But I also know that the reality experienced by people who've seen this in practise will make no difference to you.

None of the cars mocked and then smashed to bits by TG were pre-production, they were just brought by the production team as anyone else would by a car, and again why would a car company sponsor it's own product being humilated?

What deal do Bedder 6 have with the BBC? Do you know?

You'll probably find that distribution rights are assigned contractually for a number of years to the BBC, with a percentage going back to the production company. So £19m will only be a small proportion of the money that comes in from selling it world-wide.

What deal do Bedder 6 have with the BBC? Do you know?

"BBC Worldwide owns just over 50% of the company, which was created by Clarkson and Wilman two years ago.

Bedder 6 is used as the main channel for the profits for Top Gear merchandising and some of the other commercial exploitation of the hit BBC2 motoring show, including foreign sales of the original UK production"

"Bedder 6's accounts also reveal that around £912,000 was paid by BBC Worldwide to the public service wing of the BBC as an investment in the programme, in return for using some of the rights to Top Gear.

This is listed in the accounts as "an investment in programmes for future sale""

"According to accounts filed at Companies House for Bedder 6 - the unprecedented joint venture between Clarkson, Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman and the BBC's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide - it has generated a £700,000 dividend for its shareholders in the 17 months from 30 October 2006 to the end of March this year.

MediaGuardian.co.uk understands that Clarkson earned just over £200,000 from the dividend and Wilman around £140,000.

In addition, Bedder 6 directors Clarkson and Wilman received £117,000 and £20,000, respectively, by the company as "payment for services""

Jeremy Clarkson made more than £300k from Top Gear company | Media | guardian.co.uk

So to sum up it's a company owned 50% by the beeb, 30% by Clarkson and 20% by Wilman, and it's purpose is to exploit the brand and overseas sales of TG. It would appear that the beeb gets 50% of the profits from flogging their own programme and got a payment of £912k for the rights (note that Clarkson alone gets paid around a million a year for presenting TG).

Note that TG does indeed generate millions in sales per year, but also note how little of that the BBC gets and who gets the most.

"BBC Worldwide owns just over 50% of the company, which was created by Clarkson and Wilman two years ago.

Bedder 6 is used as the main channel for the profits for Top Gear merchandising and some of the other commercial exploitation of the hit BBC2 motoring show, including foreign sales of the original UK production"

"Bedder 6's accounts also reveal that around £912,000 was paid by BBC Worldwide to the public service wing of the BBC as an investment in the programme, in return for using some of the rights to Top Gear.

This is listed in the accounts as "an investment in programmes for future sale""

"According to accounts filed at Companies House for Bedder 6 - the unprecedented joint venture between Clarkson, Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman and the BBC's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide - it has generated a £700,000 dividend for its shareholders in the 17 months from 30 October 2006 to the end of March this year.

MediaGuardian.co.uk understands that Clarkson earned just over £200,000 from the dividend and Wilman around £140,000.

In addition, Bedder 6 directors Clarkson and Wilman received £117,000 and £20,000, respectively, by the company as "payment for services""

Jeremy Clarkson made more than £300k from Top Gear company | Media | guardian.co.uk

So to sum up it's a company owned 50% by the beeb, 30% by Clarkson and 20% by Wilman, and it's purpose is to exploit the brand and overseas sales of TG. It would appear that the beeb gets 50% of the profits from flogging their own programme and got a payment of £912k for the rights (note that Clarkson alone gets paid around a million a year for presenting TG).

Note that TG does indeed generate millions in sales per year, but also note how little of that the BBC gets and who gets the most.

It's in the Guardian, it must be true!

Devil will be in the detail, which will no doubt not be in the the papers.

As a BTB...............

I thought last nights show was uncharacteristically brilliant. Rowan Atkinson was an excellent guest who showed extreme restraint at being interviewed by a moron. The man could have been used far more extensively and to better effect. Wasting valuable time asking him to say "Bob" was cringe-worthy in extreme. Funny in context, but not on the TG couch.
They should do a Rowan Atkinson special.
I wonder if it might be possible for TG to get hold of the special "Johnny English" V16 Phantom and blast it round their track. Now THAT would be an unmissable episode.
While not being a fan of the Nissan GTR, its a truly remarkable car and really showed up the weaknesses of the new Jag.
That said, I would still rather have the Jag.

Last edited:
Oki
But do they go wrong so very often on v12's
I have a fifth merc and never had a problem with coils
Cheers

I remember hearing about 'notorious' issues with BMW 6 cylinder engines in the 90s. I had 4 such engines and no coil pack issues.

I did have it on the one and only Saab I had which suffered this issue.

:crazy:

GTR is the way to go -ultimate thunder coupe.
Jag cheap-ish alternative to Bentley Continental Supersports
Likeable Atkinson in Mr Bean mode - likes flashy Ferrai lookalike NSX for being understated- and then more confusion by liking in-your -face Phantom -make your mind up !

Last edited:
It turned over £21million:

"It is understood that Bedder 6 will be used as the main channel for the profits for Top Gear merchandising and some of the other commercial activities relating to the hit BBC2 motoring show, including foreign sales of the original UK production"

"Bedder 6 tripled its turnover to £21 million thanks to the Top Gear brand branching out into even wider areas."

"BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the corporation, now owns half of Bedder 6, while Clarkson owns 30 per cent and Mr Wilman has a 20 per cent stake.

That means Clarkson enjoyed a £479,000 cut of the £1.59 million dividend that was paid out to shareholders in the 12 months to March 2009, as well as a £350,000 fee from the BBC for "payment for services".

The £829,000 payment last year compares with £317,000 the previous year."

You have to wonder how a business that flogs on a brand could have a turnover of £21 million and profits of £1.59 million - did they spend £19 million on paperclips and staplers?

Isn't the £1.59 million just a dividend, rather than the entire profit? Dividends are paid to shareholders as a proportion of distributable profits, and not necessarily paid out at 100% of those distributable profits. With a t/o of £21 million it is likely the company will have retained some of its profits in the business, and not distributed all of it to shareholders, so actual profit is probably higher than £1.59m.

The GTR was stunning, absolutely stunning.

Always loved the GTR and I'd feel a complete mug buying that Jag after seeing that drag race.

didn't like either of the fast coupes to be honest, that Jags front end looks wrong. Poor old Clarko' a grand bill in the first week of owning the CL600.....LOL......he would have been better off with a 500 I reckon.

Rowan was an excellent guest, saw him driving his Ford Falcon and Aston at last years Silverstone Classic weekend, he's an awsome driver.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has recently taken delivery of the Jaguar, it is quite stunning. As is too often the case, Clarkson exaggerates the faults to the point of absurdity (the ride was extremely good), and the sort of people who will buy the Jag are not going to consider the Nissan as a substitute or vice versa.

Frankly, Clarkson has passed his sell-by date as a car reviewer.

The Jaguar is a sporting coupe for the "right sort of chap", the Nissan a shouty yoof's blingmobile.

What is gained by comparing them??

The Jaguar is a sporting coupe for the "right sort of chap", the Nissan a shouty yoof's blingmobile.

What is gained by comparing them??

A few minutes of cheap TV and a couple of joyrides for Clarkson.

I doubt there are many shouty yoofs who could afford either of them!

The difference in cornering speed (and lap time) was astonishing.

I doubt there are many shouty yoofs who could afford either of them!

The difference in cornering speed (and lap time) was astonishing.

I work with a guy who has a GTR and another who has a Jag. There is no way they should be even compared. Having been in both of them the GTR is absolutely phenomenal around country lanes or a track but I wouldn't want to travel long distances in it, your fillings fall out after a couple of miles after you get out you have blurred vision because your eyeballs are still vibrating. The jag is a comfortable quick (in a straight line) motorway muncher in which you can waft along for miles & miles and get out feeling relaxed.

Which would I have?

Both if I had the money, even at 44 I still get the urge to play at being a "shouty yoof" even if I don't look anything like one, but I still like to drive down through France and the Jag would do me fine for that.:D

I agree with May's dislike of the Nurburgring being the be all and end all of performance car development. Snoop51 has it right. The whole point of the Jag (and proper GT cars in general) is that one can drive to the Riviera with m'lady and arrive looking forward to the evening, not looking for an osteopath.

Trouble with Jags is no matter how fast they are -they are always driven by 65 + silver haired golf fanatics -no wonder they have gone all "GTR attitude"

I drive a Jag , I'm 44, have NO hair and i hate golf !! Still rather the GTR though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom