Top Gear - Merc CL 600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E CLASS

Not sure if this has been posted but they bought one of the above on the program last night along with a BMW 850.

They are going to run them and then report back on how they hold up!

Wonder if anyone knows the original owner? Interesting samples left behind when the CSI type swaps were analysed, if only a car could speak!

Russ

nice motor, i'd have snapped one up but lets face it. it would cost a BOMB to run it.

Slightly off-topic but did anyone see the CLK55 AMG they had?

When Jeremy and Hammond were talking about that silver hatchback that costs 6K Brand new.
It was in that lot of cars on the field along with the Honda S2000, Blue X5, EVO, Various Jags and the Corvette.

The car was Silver with Gunmetal grey alloys, previously on Autotrader..

Wonder if anyone knows the original owner? Interesting samples left behind when the CSI type swaps were analysed, if only a car could speak!

Russ

Now we know what was found on the seat, I doubt any members will be raising their hand any time soon!! :crazy:

Looking forward to the long term test on this pair of beasts....hope it doesn't end in tears for the CL

It was a good programme and very entertaining.

However, to compare a new Nissan Pixo to those two V12 monsters as a serious alternative was stupidity beyond belief. It made for very good TV, but not a realistic comparison at all.
Much more sense to compare to second-hand Mini's or similar.
Also, new Nissan Pixos are available for more than £1000 discount which makes them less than £5990 on the road. Not that that would tempt me.

However, to compare a new Nissan Pixo to those two V12 monsters as a serious alternative was stupidity beyond belief. It made for very good TV, but not a realistic comparison at all.
Also, new Nissan Pixos are available for more than £1000 discount which makes them less than £5990 on the road. Not that that would tempt me.

Its TV entertainment. A lighthearted excuse to buy cheap, fast cars. For fun.

Both arguments have their merit, to be honest is winding down a window such a burden. The more electronic gadgets we have the more scope for problems, there must be a market for cheap reliable easy self fix transport without the sophistication we now have. The electric adjustments on my seat, I'm the only driver so it was put in place and there it will stay, so the weight of all that additional gubbins is being carried around pointlessly.

Come on VTD you can't complain about this episode. This was TG back to it's pre Hamster crash days - it was about the cars.

The show (unless your talking about V1 which was killed off due to lack of interest) has always had quirky comparisons. Remember the £1k Porsche; the £10k Supercar.

I loved it personally. Best show in a long time.

Certainly better than the first episode, I also though Sebastian Vettel was an excellent guest.

lol

I think a member has already been raised (referring to the residue on the passenger seat).

lol, I can only imagine that the white "powder" and "herbal" medication is used to sedate yourself once you get the ABC warning or coil pack failure ! LOL

I thought it was interesting that despite saying that they 'owned' both cars, that they removed the last character of both number plates for some reason.

If I could be bothered, surely it is only a question of 26 different searches to see which one comes up with that car?

Why would they do that?

I thought it was interesting that despite saying that they 'owned' both cars, that they removed the last character of both number plates for some reason.

If I could be bothered, surely it is only a question of 26 different searches to see which one comes up with that car?

Why would they do that?

They didn't want to ID the last owner of the CL in case his wife was watching.

It was properly in the TG tradition of starting a review of a very staid 'value' car at the bottom end of the spectrum and then digressing.

My guess is that the Pixo was tried. Not much fun. And rather than trash it and say how much better something like a Ka would be they decided to do it their way.

Frankly I'm much more interested in how they get on with the CL600 than even knowing the Pixo exists.

The 'CSI' bit is the real waste of time.

To be fair I was amazed that most of the bits still worked on both cars an the prices they got them for - goes to show how much people fear the running costs of a big engine.

Can't wait to see what falls off or they break - quite a bit knowing them....

A CL. Is that the one where a replacement shock absorber costs £1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom