Top Gear New Presenters.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter103, Oct 22, 2018.

1. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
  2. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    On tonight.

I'm looking forward to this - I've always enjoyed C, M and H doing trips in inappropriate cars.

I'm hoping they have the chemistry to bring this back and make it work as I find that most entertaining.

At first glance it appears they may have that...

stwat and daveenty like this.
  3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I thought the three of them worked well together. Glad to see Chris has largely dropped the blithering idiot act. Ethiopia, what beautiful place?!

John likes this.
  4. flowrider99

flowrider99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 / Audi S5 Sportback
    Usual format, 25 mins of driving old cars around Ethiopia :wallbash:, 10 mins driving supercars, that hardly anyone can afford to buy, around a track :wallbash:, and then what was left of the show they were back to driving old cars in Ethiopia :wallbash:. Why? This is exactly why I stopped watching Topgear and is the reason I wont be watching any more of this series.

markjay, a111r and Peter103 like this.
  5. Dippo

Dippo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 W213
    Were we really expected to believe that they were suffering from heatstroke? I have a sneaking feeling that there were fully equipped air conditioned motor homes and a fleet of other vehicles just out of shot, together with full technical and medical support teams.

markjay likes this.
  6. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    The comments while driving in Ethopia gave me a sense of deja vu ..... ISTR messrs Boorman and McEwan managing to do something similar a few years back on two wheels with the same emotive response about the country.

And I suspect that if Messrs Clarkson and May had been making the same journey with Mr Hammond then there wouldhave been rather more in theway of information / history of the cars being slipped in.

That said. Compared with the previous TG regeneration this one feels like it hit the road running. My concern is that after a few episodes we will doscovered they have exaggerated and rather got carried away with the blokish aspect and missed the fundamental that even when it didn't seem to be about cars under Clarkson and May .... it was still actually about cars.

kid-jensen likes this.
  7. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    Good Telly! even if its staged...I enjoyed it

stwat likes this.
  8. anglaslt

anglaslt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG based) and RHD M6 Comp.
    Just happened upon TG after an interesting programme on development in Indonesia and how Jakarta is sinking :eek:

Contrary to expectation, I thought Freddie Flintoff to be the least irritating of the three. Chris Harris is an excellent reviewer of cars of all sorts and should do more of that. Not yet sure about Paddy McGuiness. Maybe Guiness is an acquired taste.

The close to death drama in +40 c was a bit overdone. That's only 4 degrees more than Vilnius last week and life went on as normal. OK, we weren't all wearing woolly jumpers ;)

9. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Lads on another contrived road trip being laddish... yawn!
    It's not the presenters. The format/production that was essentially developed by/around Clarkson et al needs to change. Top Gear won't be any good while it tries to hang onto the past. It must seize the now and move forward.

10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Like Love Island?

11. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211
    I wonder if the jumper came from Jacamo!?

Flyinspanner, stwat and GeeJayW like this.
  12. Londonscottish

Londonscottish Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500
    God that was grim. Two inarticulate meatheads making puerile jokes about "the pygmy".

Who on earth thought it was a good idea to have two monosyllabic sports-jock type presenters? Having Flintoff is bad enough but adding in that MacGuiness person is a dreadful idea.

And who the **** is Paddy MacGuiness anway? I have no idea who he is and what he does.

I feel sorry for Chris Harris - I've been following him for years and this is his big break and it's surely going to bomb. It got a resounding thumbs down from my, mt 12 year old and my 14 year old.

GeeJayW likes this.
  13. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    The existing format didn't just instantaneously come about after the early 2000s reboot. It evolved over several series.

The BBC and the TG team have had several post Clarkson series to evolve and grow but seem to have stuck in a rut as a clone of the last few series of the Clarkson era.

I think though that it is poignant that the Grand Tour has finished up. We saw the GT evolve a little bit but even under Wilman/Clarkson/May/Hammond it couldn't move forward in terms of the format - some blokish chat, some blokish news, a car review, an interview, guests in a car, a lap board, and a trip/expedition.

14. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Critics of the previous Top Gear format were unanimous last night in their approval to rebrand it as a remake of Carry On Up the Khyber.
    Masterful casting with Cris Harris as Kenneth Williams, Paddy McGuiness as Sid James and Fred Flintoff as Bernard Bresslaw and wait for it Sabine Schmitz in a future episode as ----you've guessed it Hattie Jacques. Production team spokesperson Amanda Vacuous said " It captures the spirit of the old films- especially the bit where Fred loses his strides--- its so reminiscent of the kilt lifting scene where the Third Foot and Mouth scare off the forces of the evil Khasi of Khalibar by flashing their genitalia. I feel we really captured that lowbrow humour beloved by the cinema goers of the 60's with just a hint of "stubble" to bring it right up to date. I apologise for the Ferrari /McLaren piece in the middle but we have to give our young adolescent bedroom poster demographic something and since McLaren haven't won anything in F1 for like--- forever--- we didn't think anyone would take it seriously". Popular TV interview- U -like Vox Pop personalities Sid and Beryl "often found haunting a shopping Mall near you" pronounced it a great success despite their later admission to never watching the programme.

st13phil, Mactech and GeeJayW like this.
  15. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The Great British Scraping-the-Bottom-of-the-Televisual-Barrel Off has been won by Top Gear.

GeeJayW likes this.
  16. GeeJayW

Car:
    I think we're agreeing? I didn't say that the existing format instantaneously came about, for sure it developed over time.

The point I'm trying to make is that the format developed with Clarkson et al as principle players, even contributors. Hence, it ended up being a good fit for them. Subsequent presenters have tried to wear the same dress, but it doesn't fit them, so it all looks somewhat contrived because it is. In the meantime, the world has moved on and theTG format hasn't really gone with it.

For example, Clarkson is amusing by the things he says which may be what many are thinking but in today's PC world are not usually said out loud. He is otherwise though intelligent and insightful (sp), a boorish oaf, with the practical skills of a two-year old and something of a dinosaur. Hammond is and has always been an irritating (insert naught word here) and May is actually better outside of TG. Though I have access to tGT via Prime, I've barely watched it as it seems to be just more of the same old same old.

Motoring TV journalism/entertainment needs to say something different and if TG is to truly succeed, the producers need to wake up and smell the diesel fumes.

17. GeeJayW

Car:
    Never seen it, so wouldn't know if that's a good thing or not. You tell me.

18. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    It's much like TG has been described here (ironically I've not watched for a long time) but it's got fit birds in bikinis. My Mrs watches it, I put headphones on as it is nice to look at without hearing the mongs.

19. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I thought that too.

I rather enjoyed tGT - but yes it was same old same old with the same old team.

20. Mactech

Mactech Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLE 350d AMG Line, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5 and VFR1200
    Likewise I had never come across Paddy McGuinness (outside Irish 'politics'!) What does he do? Apart from talk for Bolton.
    Some old, same old...but amusing in places and has opened my eyes to Ethiopia. I thought it was just a place good distance runners came from.

Oh, and 700 bhp in a Ferrari is not that quick, well not compared to 800bhp in a 1200kg XJ220..... now I was impressed with that:)

IMG_2368.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Londonscottish, grober and GeeJayW like this.