Top Gear new series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Own up, who else has been in tears this evening?!😭

30 minutes of made up sentimental clap trap didn't really help the start of a new series, got better but still very droll, needs new script writers, if they even have any !

Well, it brought back many memories for me, not only of my father but grandfathers too.😪
Didn't help that my eldest went back to uni today too.🥺

30 minutes of made up sentimental clap trap didn't really help the start of a new series, got better but still very droll, needs new script writers, if they even have any !
Perhaps levels of sentiment depend on personal experience. I couldn’t relate to any of that stuff because my dad never owned a car and I‘ve never owned a Ford. Their emotions just seemed so false to me and the whole thing came across as an attempt to fill half an hour, that felt more like an hour.

Disappointed that the "dad's car" selection didn't include a Vauxhall Wyvern or an Austin A40 Somerset............

I "popped in" to see the bit about Dads' cars, which was amusing and struck a chord. That bit I recommend.

But I won't be watching any more.

I'm more interested in programmes about cars, car design and history than men pratting about, and driving unaffordable cars on racetracks.

I'll dip into Harry, Jay, and Tyrell, rather than the enthusiastic Harrismonkey, or Flintoff, whoever he is.

To know something about a current car, Matt Watson is, embarrassingly, probably the best source.

Last edited:
Lost interest half way through, needs to be better than that first episode if I'm going to keep watching.

I have a feeling of deja vu from this thread. And it's not the cars on the programme.

How many years is it (10 or more ?) that posters (including this poster) have been complaining about the show and how many have watched the following year and complained again?

I have a feeling of deja vu from this thread. And it's not the cars on the programme.

How many years is it (10 or more ?) that posters (including this poster) have been complaining about the show and how many have watched the following year and complained again?
Very true.
I don’t tend to watch programmes I don’t like. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've not watched top gear for years, mostly because of these continual postings on here.
Buy I don't really watch anything religiously, I hardly watch TV.

Its like watching our national footie team , at the end of most of the games you say never again but being a glutton for punishment you watch the next performance - just on the off chance it gets better , which invariably it does not but you still give it a go anyway and will continue to do so and complain about it.

K

Its like watching our national footie team , at the end of most of the games you say never again but being a glutton for punishment you watch the next performance - just on the off chance it gets better , which invariably it does not but you still give it a go anyway and will continue to do so and complain about it.

K
Gave up on them years ago.

K

See thats not how I do it, top gear/England footy team are rubbish....or so I read online and hear out and about....so I don't waste my time with them, unless I'm laid on the sofa and they happen to be on.

To many people waste time watching what they know will most likely be boring or whatever, then waste even more time telling others what a waste of time it was 🤪which then drags me in to wasting time....because I wanted to know what I'd missed.....nothing 🤣

Disappointed that the "dad's car" selection didn't include a Vauxhall Wyvern or an Austin A40 Somerset............
This dad had an Austin A40 Somerset, but it was before I first became a dad.

I’d have to agree with many comment on here. I detest Paddy McGuiness with a passion, but I keep watching in the hope of seeing something remotely enjoyable.

Having had a BMW 318 and always lusted after the 323i I found that segment really interesting and delivered a healthy dose of nostalgia, but frankly the rest of the show was pretty boring.

I realise this won’t be everybody’s opinion, but I thought the Matt LeBlanc series were pretty decent being more about cars and less about egos. This series hasn’t started well for me, but like many I will watch again next week in blind faith and hope ...

I realise this won’t be everybody’s opinion, but I thought the Matt LeBlanc series were pretty decent being more about cars and less about egos. This series hasn’t started well for me, but like many I will watch again next week in blind faith and hope ...

MLB turned out OK And I miss him.

I have to say that the surprise of the current incarnation for me is actually Flintoff.

But the show's material - after 20 years or so has been getting more and more stale and forced overall - with the odd gem embedded.

I thought last nights' show with the three "dad's cars" was a really good idea - and actually poignant - the odd gem. But they hadn't really figured where to go with it after the first 15 minutes. They clearly couldn't do too much to the cars (and I'm glad they were not abused to the normal level). Making that show an hour maybe needed a bit more focus on the cars and the era - play to the nostalgia and motoring from those times. A bit more of a dcumentary approach might have worked really well with the "dad's car" hook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom