Top Gear sucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexmoon

Car
W211 270CDi
Cannot believe the popularity of Top Gear! Wake up, smell the coffee, buck the hype – this has to be the most puerile tosh ever on the box. The presenters? C'mon! 'Men as Boys' is so contrived it makes me want to vomit.

James May – the oafish, foppy nerd still infatuated with all things boring and who delights in being Captain Slow. And what's with the daft barnet? Oh, I'm a hippie now - though, of course, I was never a hippie when it was hip.

Richard Hammond – the cheesy DJ with floral shirts and and torn denims plus a 'menacing' leather jacket . Then the big Duran Duran hair and doe-eyed stare – oh, please mother me, puleeease girls. About as rebellious – and sexy - as Mr Bean.

Jeremy Clarkson – the non-pc icon. "I'm from the Dark Ages and I don't give a toss. I'll forever argue that black is white. So there!" Oh, how cool am I?

Now put them in silly cars and send the trio on the daftest, most boyish shoots ever. Let's pretend James has crashed his Lambo, they've kipped in their cars all night and, hey, look, the Hampster can emerge in the morning with a CD plastered to his face. And we'll get the car phone to call Vernon Kay lots of times. Then we'll find (another) 'best road in the world'. In Romania.

This is fifth form mince - and so bad now that it's become a parody of itself.

Kill this immediately.

Then we can get a proper car show.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple:ban:

I really cannot understand why some people get so animated about they're hatred for the show. Like i say, simply don't watch it. I don't understand why anyone would watch something they don't like, simply so they can winge about how much they hate it:crazy::dk::doh::wallbash:

I don't like many things on TV but don't feel the need to complain about them at every opportunity.

I really cannot understand why some people get so animated about they're hatred for the show. Like i say, simply don't watch it. I don't understand why anyone would watch something they don't like, simply so they can winge about how much they hate it:crazy::dk::doh::wallbash:

I don't like many things on TV but don't feel the need to complain about them at every opportunity.

I agree. Its just an entertainment show, there is a reason why it as popular as it is and if you dont like a show, dont have to watch... :)

i dont like x factor......but i don't go on about it! I just refuse to watch it or get in any form of converation regarding it! Thats why god invented the remote control - don't like, switch over!

I agree if you don't like it switch it off....

fact is there are very little 'car' shows on so I will always watch it. I think the combination of the three presentors actually work very well.

Must go I can smell coffee.

I may have been unique, but when he sat on the fold up toilet box, I did laugh.

And it was supposed to be suitable for that exact use.

I like Top Gear & watch every week, but, it has become a bit predictable.
Lets buy James a car, and whoops, he parks it behind an artic which then reverses into it.
I'm surprised a big X wasn't painted on the ground to make sure he parked in the right spot and the sound engineer was seen in the camera shot giving the lorry driver the thumbs up to start reversing when May got out of the car, 'cause we know that is how it works now. Other than that it is still enjoyable.

Russ

It's the only one of 'my' programs the missus will watch. Now, when deadliest catch, Ice road truckers, or H on H comes on she feels the need to go and do something mote fun, like ironing.

I like May and JC, but Hamster is an annoying little prat who since his prang has got even worse.

I may have been unique, but when he sat on the fold up toilet box, I did laugh.

And it was supposed to be suitable for that exact use.

Not unique. Thought it was the best bit. The laugh seemed genuine unlike the rest which was pretty poor.

A few comments saying if you don't like it don't watch it. Well you have to watch it at least once to find out if you like it and if you don't why shouldn't you post your view? This view is as valid as those that support it. Only allowed to post in line with general sentiment?

Comments about other progs are less relevant as they are not motoring based. This is a car forum after all, which would seem to make comments on motoring issues appropriate.

Think it appeals to the masses, ie people inc women with no real interest in cars will watch it because essentially it is a comedy, with a load of buffoons larking about.

Those of us that are car enthusiasts (which I guess must be at leat 90% of everyone reading this) get no real net benefit from it apart from its comedy value. The content of the program no longer caters for our need on learning about the finer points of a paticular car. (When did they last compare cubic boot capcity between two models like they used to do in the '80s, but how boring for the average viewer) Hence we are likely to see a biased opinion against TG on here.

Take it as it is, it a comedy, thats includes exotic cars !!! I agree I would love to see a more indepth program on cars, and perhaps main stream affordable cars, but I guess it would not really sell. Does 5th gear go someway to achieving this, I dont watch it though ???

Ultimately its entertainment, in the same vein as the X Factor, something that doesn't interest me, so I don't watch it or have much of an opinion of it. Likewise all the come dancing nonsense.......

I'm sure a true car fan would enjoy the sight of a couple of lighthearted blokes powersliding something exotic round a track or hillside road purely for the fun of it(in widescreen, stereo and HD in our house!). They know its not serious - it really doesn't matter whether a Lambo, Ferrari or Aston is the better car - its just fun and entertainment!

Who wants to go back to the good old days of sensible Top Gear with some dull old bird you've never heard of doing a comparative test of used French diesel hatchbacks, and raving at the fact that one of them has a 'wireless' and powered windows!

The BBC also sees Top Gear as a great investment. It brings in hundreds of millions into their [public]coffers from being sold around the world.
Can't be bad can it!

It's fairly simple, really. We kinda pay for it. And if we choose not to, we get sent to prison.

Plus how much budget do you think there is for OTT car shows that can get an Aston, a Lambo and a Ferrari GT and do what they want with them? Because I happen to suspect it's about the size of what Top Gear costs, and I'd rather it was spent on an interesting car show instead of 60 mins of ***** with a poor script.

HR17 "Some dull old bird", SURELY you dont mean V_B_H, she's still in my fantasy box ! :devil:

CAMBRIDGE(shire) GTG this Saturday (21st) :thumb:

It's fairly simple, really. We kinda pay for it. And if we choose not to, we get sent to prison.

Plus how much budget do you think there is for OTT car shows that can get an Aston, a Lambo and a Ferrari GT and do what they want with them? Because I happen to suspect it's about the size of what Top Gear costs, and I'd rather it was spent on an interesting car show instead of 60 mins of ***** with a poor script.

Good point - but as HR17 pointed out it brings in £millions around the world ..so it isn't designed to be a car programme but a cash cow. So using the adage if it aint broke don't fix it - it will run in this format until the ratings not opinion dictates otherwise.

I stopped watching Top Gear after turning it off in the last series when they ran the spoof VW adverts, which I found tasteless. Decided there and then that basically after so many series and things to do (you can only destroy a caravan in so many ways) that the producers have run out of material for the show and it is now boring and predictable, not helped by budget cuts.

However the BBC will continue to wring every last drop out of this programme as it makes them huge profits overseas where it is wildly popular. I agree with the OP and simply voted with my feet and occasionally channel flick into it nowadays. A pity - it used to be one of the most entertaining shows of TV, but now I think has run its natural course, as these things always do.

It never really was about the cars (as stated above, who wants to see a review of used French diesel cars?) but about the personalities involved, which has made it popular with all genders. It's a shame that the characters are now caricatures......

It's amusing the way that 5th gear tries hard to copy TG, perpetually playing catch up.........

Edit - just seen Crockers post. Agree!

The BBC also sees Top Gear as a great investment. It brings in hundreds of millions into their [public]coffers from being sold around the world.
Can't be bad can it!

Myth.

Jeremy Clarkson made how much? - Noeman GSM

"popular motoring series generated an £8.6 million turnover though sales outside the UK"

"£1.8 million of that was post-tax profit"

"BBC Worldwide owns just over 50 per cent of Bedder 6, which was created by Jeremy and Andy two years ago."

(so the Beeb cops £900k)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/06/12/clarkson-in-pay-puzzler-115875-21434213/

"Clarkson, 49, whose £2million annual pay"

So just allowing for Clarksons pay the show would appear to make a massive loss?

Myth.

Jeremy Clarkson made how much? - Noeman GSM

"popular motoring series generated an £8.6 million turnover though sales outside the UK"

"£1.8 million of that was post-tax profit"

"BBC Worldwide owns just over 50 per cent of Bedder 6, which was created by Jeremy and Andy two years ago."

(so the Beeb cops £900k)

Jeremy Clarkson did not know pay was being slashed - mirror.co.uk

"Clarkson, 49, whose £2million annual pay"

So just allowing for Clarksons pay the show would appear to make a massive loss?

Surely Clarksons wages would be included in the PRE TAX profit, as an overhead or wages, you are quoting POST TAX profit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom