Top Gear sucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the vast majority of anti-Top Gear people are missing the point.

Top Gear is an absolute runaway success. It's more popular these days than it's ever been.

It's not designed to be a geeky motoring program analysing hatchbacks and load capacities of mundane cars. That's what it used to be like in the 90s before it was axed by the BBC and is what channel 5 tried to do with 'Fifth Gear' - which was rubbish, had hardly any viewers and has now been axed from C5 IIRC?

From what I remember reading, it draws in over 300 million viewers in over 100 countries, and it's also the #1 most illegally downloaded program on the internet. I'd think very carefully before changing anything with that formula - it's obviously extremely popular and working fine.

Those of you who don't like it - it's tough unfortunately. I'm not saying that to be annoying, but it's you who are in very small minority - the licence fee isn't paid primarily by 'real motoring enthusiasts' who want a serious car program. It's paid by everyone who has a TV set and therefore the BBC are doing the right thing by making a popular program that appeals to significantly more people than and old-school motoring review show.

Perhaps it'd be nice to have such a serious automotive type program, but they really aren't all that popular so the BBC would be criticised if they wasted resources on such a project when budgets are being cut left right and centre. These sorts of shows are normally limited to low-budget off-peak broadcasting - channel 5, men & motors at the back of sky etc. Not really prime-time telly.

Will

Got it!!! Angela Rippon! :D Bet she's not in your fantasy box.....

Simple really.
Because you, I and everybody else with a TV Licence PAY FOR IT.
I'd like my licence fee money spent on a proper motoring programme not make millionaires out of JC and Hamster (don't think May is in that bracket) and spend £500k+ per episode on sometimes awful boys own entertainment (?) twaddle.

Remember that your licence fee also pays for Strictly Come Dancing, Bargain Hunt and the Graham Norton Show amongst other. Nuff said.

Cannot believe the popularity of Top Gear! Wake up, smell the coffee, buck the hype – this has to be the most puerile tosh ever on the box. The presenters? C'mon! 'Men as Boys' is so contrived it makes me want to vomit.

James May – the oafish, foppy nerd still infatuated with all things boring and who delights in being Captain Slow. And what's with the daft barnet? Oh, I'm a hippie now - though, of course, I was never a hippie when it was hip.

Richard Hammond – the cheesy DJ with floral shirts and and torn denims plus a 'menacing' leather jacket . Then the big Duran Duran hair and doe-eyed stare – oh, please mother me, puleeease girls. About as rebellious – and sexy - as Mr Bean.

Jeremy Clarkson – the non-pc icon. "I'm from the Dark Ages and I don't give a toss. I'll forever argue that black is white. So there!" Oh, how cool am I?

Now put them in silly cars and send the trio on the daftest, most boyish shoots ever. Let's pretend James has crashed his Lambo, they've kipped in their cars all night and, hey, look, the Hampster can emerge in the morning with a CD plastered to his face. And we'll get the car phone to call Vernon Kay lots of times. Then we'll find (another) 'best road in the world'. In Romania.

This is fifth form mince - and so bad now that it's become a parody of itself.

Kill this immediately.

Then we can get a proper car show.
Yer thats it, that's the programe, it is everything you said and probably more but until they get a better one I will still watch it. And I think probably so will you, you seemed to watch this one quite closely.

I'm glad you didn't argue for the posh bird Penny Silverstone, she gets right up my T1t5. Don't mind you starting a campain for the cute little one from the other side, you know what's her name Vicki she has two second names like bob THE BUILDER she gets my vote

I'm glad you didn't argue for the posh bird Penny Silverstone, she gets right up my T1t5. Don't mind you starting a campain for the cute little one from the other side, you know what's her name Vicki she has two second names like bob THE BUILDER she gets my vote
Do you mean Penny Mallory from that show with Jason Dawes? I like her.... :rolleyes:

Overheard at Top Gear production conference last week:

Jezza: "Tell you what, guys, can't believe we're still getting away with this tosh. Really can't. I mean we're making obscene amounts now. And the funny thing is, the worse we get, the bigger we become. How wonderful is that?"

Hampster: "Yeah, too right. Let's do even dafter stuff and treat the viewers like total morons. Had this brilliant idea last night in bed – we get on to NASA and see if they can get us on the moon and we do a live buggy race up there."

Producer: "Absolutely stupendous, Richard." Pause. "Mind you, the production costs will be through the roof..."

James: "Maybe not. We can get sponsors and screw the Beeb again for even more dosh. Let's have another spliff and work on it..."

An hour later.

Jezza: "Sorted. Absolutely sorted, guys. We don't actually go to the moon. We mock it up in the studio – like the real moon landings. Geddit?"

Hampster: "Of course! Bloody brilliant. The viewers believe everything we do is real so why should they doubt this?"

James: "Exactly."

Sporting a rather large erection, the producer,: "I love you guys. I really do. You are the stuff of legend..."

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple:ban:

I really cannot understand why some people get so animated about they're hatred for the show. Like i say, simply don't watch it. I don't understand why anyone would watch something they don't like, simply so they can winge about how much they hate it:crazy::dk::doh::wallbash:

I don't like many things on TV but don't feel the need to complain about them at every opportunity.
Overheard at Top Gear production conference last week:

Jezza: "Tell you what, guys, can't believe we're still getting away with this tosh. Really can't. I mean we're making obscene amounts now. And the funny thing is, the worse we get, the bigger we become. How wonderful is that?"

Hampster: "Yeah, too right. Let's do even dafter stuff and treat the viewers like total morons. Had this brilliant idea last night in bed – we get on to NASA and see if they can get us on the moon and we do a live buggy race up there."

Producer: "Absolutely stupendous, Richard." Pause. "Mind you, the production costs will be through the roof..."

James: "Maybe not. We can get sponsors and screw the Beeb again for even more dosh. Let's have another spliff and work on it..."

An hour later.

Jezza: "Sorted. Absolutely sorted, guys. We don't actually go to the moon. We mock it up in the studio – like the real moon landings. Geddit?"

Hampster: "Of course! Bloody brilliant. The viewers believe everything we do is real so why should they doubt this?"

James: "Exactly."

Sporting a rather large erection, the producer,: "I love you guys. I really do. You are the stuff of legend..."

I thought I was meant to be the troll!:ban:

I think the vast majority of anti-Top Gear people are missing the point.

Top Gear is an absolute runaway success. It's more popular these days than it's ever been.

It's not designed to be a geeky motoring program analysing hatchbacks and load capacities of mundane cars. That's what it used to be like in the 90s before it was axed by the BBC and is what channel 5 tried to do with 'Fifth Gear' - which was rubbish, had hardly any viewers and has now been axed from C5 IIRC?

From what I remember reading, it draws in over 300 million viewers in over 100 countries, and it's also the #1 most illegally downloaded program on the internet. I'd think very carefully before changing anything with that formula - it's obviously extremely popular and working fine.

Those of you who don't like it - it's tough unfortunately. I'm not saying that to be annoying, but it's you who are in very small minority - the licence fee isn't paid primarily by 'real motoring enthusiasts' who want a serious car program. It's paid by everyone who has a TV set and therefore the BBC are doing the right thing by making a popular program that appeals to significantly more people than and old-school motoring review show.

Perhaps it'd be nice to have such a serious automotive type program, but they really aren't all that popular so the BBC would be criticised if they wasted resources on such a project when budgets are being cut left right and centre. These sorts of shows are normally limited to low-budget off-peak broadcasting - channel 5, men & motors at the back of sky etc. Not really prime-time telly.

Will
Yes, the financial aspects are probably all true.

However, the negative comments weren’t about how much money it costs / makes they were about posters views about whether they liked the programme or not.

I was one of the posters who, in summary, said its got a few good bits but on balance I don’t like it. This has got nothing at all to do with costs / profits, it’s my view of the programme. Other people have different views. Their views and mine are equally valid.

I have no problem with the programme being made, watched and enjoyed. If you like it, watch it and enjoy it. If you don’t like it, feel free to not watch it. If, like me, you like some bits record it and skip the bits you don’t like.

Surely one point of posting is to make one’s own views known and to hear the views of others. I find it dispiriting that people who hold an opinion contrary to some others opinions are invited to stop whinging.

Do you mean Penny Mallory from that show with Jason Dawes? I like her.... :rolleyes:

I think that's the bird. Wasn't it her on the original Top Gear? She hasn't aged well. Neither has Jason Dawes though. I think he'll be stuck getting into cars in the near future. He'll have to resort to reviewing barges and artics.

Yeah, I noticed he'd got a bit more portly than he was before!! No more 2 seat supercars for him!

Just managed to watch Sunday's episode last night. Entertaining enough to watch, I suppose, but as others have said, there was remarkably little about cars there. Even accepting that this is now just light entertainment, I would have liked a bit more info on the aston, ferrari and lambo they took to Romania. Frankly, for all the analysis the boys did, they could have been driving replicas...

But the point is.........................................

We all watched it didnt we ? ?

And will most probably do the same for the next 5 weeks...............

And that's ALL the BBC are interested in. Bums on seats.

Don't forget propaganda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom