Top Gear Test Track - Street View

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cool. I like it.

I don't know how many laps of Dunsfold I have done (sadly never more than 40mph on the bicycle), maybe 100's. It always is odd to see it on the TV. The TG team did very well to make a decent looking track out of a basically flat bit of airfield.

I vaguely recall someone telling me the track was designed by Lotus, who made it to test both power and handling so that cars with an abundance of one over the other don't have a big advantage.

I reckon they did a good job.

The track they use on Top Gear is only a section of the complete circuit ....

My then 10 year old son and I were lucky enough to be driven round this track a couple of times 2years ago by BTCC driver Mat Jackson in a Mc Claren MP4 12C:thumb:

He was testing(shake down) 2or3 of them before they got shipped out around the world. It was peeing down but still hit 170mph on the straight:D

Stupidly fast car!!!

Last edited:
There was a McClaren "room" (sort of a flash looking garden office) at the other end of the perimeter road circuit last year. I presume this was for customers or something to wait whilst they were driving their cars.

They had a giant lock up there with a few of them inside....All very secretive.....As soon as the shutters went up they would come down again!!

They were worried people with high powered cameras would take pictures:eek:....We were certainly not allowed to take pics inside but were able to take a few outside:thumb:

I never knew the Top Gear Test Track had streets :D

I was brought up a couple of miles from here, my earliest memory is all the development work on the Harrier jump jet being carried out here, Dunsfold was an airfield owned by British Aerospace and here they put together the Harrier fighter plane, and did the test flights, it was referred to as the P1127 there was a back lane that ended adjacent to the runway and we used to watch it practicing hovering

My Uncle helped design the Harrier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom