Top Gear UK vs Top Gear USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tasn1

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
I have just been watching Top Gear USA (Vette ZR1 vs Fezza 458). It was refreshing, no gimmicks, old school testing. I do miss that on our Top Gear! I want to see more cars not irrelevant journalism!!! I was surprised to see some good reviews from the yanks. How ironic, the yanks teaching us about cars...come on Jezza & co!:dk:

[rant]Looking at the old top gear episodes on Youtube with Quentin Wilson et al. reminded me it used to be a proper series. Clarkson turns it from being a car show into a terrible magazine-style show with immature co-presenters trying to appeal to bored stupid kids rather than people with genuine interest in normal and luxury cars. Who cares if a man with a mask can drive a supercar fast - isn't seeing what the best reasonable first cars more useful? Or test-driving a W140 on the road? [/rant]

[rant]Looking at the old top gear episodes on Youtube with Quentin Wilson et al. reminded me it used to be a proper series. Clarkson turns it from being a car show into a terrible magazine-style show with immature co-presenters trying to appeal to bored stupid kids rather than people with genuine interest in normal and luxury cars. Who cares if a man with a mask can drive a supercar fast - isn't seeing what the best reasonable first cars more useful? Or test-driving a W140 on the road? [/rant]

I totally agree Neilz! If you search "old top gear" on you tube, you get some proper analysis from all the presenters! Even dare I say 5th gear is better than Top Gear these days! I prefer watching "Wheeler Dealers"!!!! (RANT)

How did the 458 fare against the ZR1? :)

In the the drag race the 458 took it...just. But on the track the ZR1 was faster by a second (US track has lots of straights!).:devil:

(US track has lots of straights!).

So does F1 now all the bends are smooved...

Far too wide run-off and apex "additional tarmac" for entertaining racing, it leads to cars having high Bhp but no torque as they never need to accelerate out of bends.

Last edited:
I agree Dieselman! I like the slow in...and power out concept...proper old school!

Didnt Angela Rippon, the news reader, not host top-gear back in the old days?? :eek:

I hate the US version - but then I've never really liked foreign versions of TV shows that don't beat the UK version (Which I love - flame away lol).

I think the internet has killed off most regular car TV shows, and is probably the reason Top Gear went down the road it did.

Almost anyone can review a reasonably priced car and throw it on youtube, but not many can thrash many different super cars or spend crap loads on a daft foreign road trip every year.

how do i catch this US version of top gear?

I saw one on Dave, but not sure if it is televised on another channel too.

Its now showing series 2 on BBC 3. Its a complete copy cat show, and featured many of the challenges in series 1, which we've seen in the UK shows. Basically same format just features more US cars.

I like it, as I do the UK version

how do i catch this US version of top gear?

Friday night on BBC3. Thought there test track was rubbish and saw absolutely no relevance in towing the ideal first cars backward into one another. It would have made most sense to tow them nose in IMO. The presenters are trying to be like the UK presenters too, still no real testing of cars on this version either.

Never mind the US version, a North Korean version would be better than tonights piece about making a "Sweeney" movie. I wonder how much licence payers money was wasted on making it, 99% silly boring expensive rubbish with 1% mediocre.:wallbash:

Plan B is a very silly name. However, I've been looking forwards to this remake for ages. Last I heard they had pulled the plug on it, so glad to see it's back on track. Ray Winston is just made to play Jack Reagan.

Top gear is crap all the cars that are on are out of my range well 95% are & its run by kids :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom