Top speed question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
After reading a couple of threads I don't have an answer so here's my question...
What will a 1999 E55 AMG do, if delimited, top end?

The reason I asked is that on a well known location in Leicestershire I managed to max mine out. I've read that it is limited electronically to 155mph, the speedo was reading 161/162 ish before hitting the electronic limiter. I know that speedo's will over-read but at a steady GPS reading of 60mph the speedo shows 61. It seems linear after that so I don't understand why it should be out at that speed.

Any comments?

is the limiter perhaps not exactly accurate to 155mph? Also entirely possible that your 1mph error reading at 60 mph translates into something far greater at 150+.

I assume the well-known location in Leicestershire is Mallory Park or Bruntingthorpe or similar.....

I'd say that was pretty linear.

If your speedo was 2mph out at 60mph the percentage difference when multiplied by 161 would equate to precisely 155mph.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'll bother having it delimited, just interested more than anything. After all how often will you get to 180ish...?

178 mph assuming the following is still correct 11 years on:

engine power (at the flywheel) 349 BHP
engine power (at the wheels) 286 BHP
engine power (at the wheels) 213 kW
vehicle track 1.560 m
vehicle height 1.445 m
maximum vehicle cross section 2.03 m*m
vehicle mass (weight) (kg) 1715 kg
air density 1.202 kg/(m*m*m)
drag coefficient 0.29
headwind speed 0 m/s
gradient angle 0 degrees