Top to toe refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
Not me ;), my house

We have decided that after 12 years of living in the house its time to get rid of the magnolia walls.

So, most of it is no problem but I have never tackled changing a bathroom. All the suite is staying where it is just being replaced and quite a bit of tiles. Anyone give me some feedback as to how hard this is. I was an electrician 16 years ago so I'm OK at manual stuff.

Cheers for any help and advice.

Mark

Ive never tiles before I did my bathroom, It was a doddle just get the right cutter spacers and plan it out on graph paper and away you go

Tiling and decorating is easy. Replacing sanitary fittings isn't hard either but considering it isn't a big job, I'd just get a plumber to do that. And as for any joinerwork, say boxing in a bath or pipes, it is VERY easy to make a real (diy) mess and so I'd definitely get a tradesman to do that.

tiling

tiling is easy if you go about it the right way.the flatter the wall the easier it is,if you remove the old tiles you need to get the wall clean and flat,might need reskimming.if the old tiles are level and firmly fixed leave them on and go over the top.
find the center of the wall and the first tile goes to that point so each side has equal tile cuts,balances the wall.
always run the adhesive horizontal not vertical the grooves in the adhesive then stop the tile slipping down.
when putting the tiled row above the bath,fill with water then fit the tiles the weight of the water drops the bath slightly this stops the grout or silicone line above the bath splitting at a later date.
use a strong adhesive also it helps with heavy tiles
hope this helps

Some great tips there, never thought about putting the tiles over the top of the old ones, that could save a major amount of time as one wall is 100% tiled!

Getting tiles off is pretty easy with the right tools use either a hammer and sharp bolster or get a flat pry bar like a Shark Grip.
It doesn't matter if the plaster skim comes away because you can either fill it before applying adhesive or just use more adhesive.

Unless the bath is perfectly level (it won't be) start 1/2 a tile space up and near the centre so you have to cut the edge tiles evenly in the corners. You ideally want 1/2 tile into the corners so the mirror image gives a full tile.

Apply a bed of adhesive and get he tiles down fairly quicky using spacers between. Once a few tiles are down use a straight edge to ensure all are level with each other.

There is no reason for the tiles to be either horizontal or vertical unless they are obviously shaped or patterned that way.

Bathroomtiles003.jpg

Bathroomtiles002.jpg

Bathroomtiles001.jpg

Have fun.. :)

We have decided that after 12 years of living in the house its time to get rid of the magnolia walls.

yeah, right, don't you mean Fi? :bannana:

Buy flexible tap connctors instead of having to get into really awkward positions to attach to fixed piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom