Topping up coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
De-ionised and distilled water are more or less the same thing. Probably the process method is different. You still distill water to get only the pure water. De-ionised may mean a different process to remove the ions (minerals/metal ions) from it.

The net effect is to have water without impurities (minerals, ions) which can have a corrosive nature when reacting with the inner surfaces of your coolant system at high temperatures.

For batteries, the impurities can work against the ionisation effect so make the battery less efficient.

If you run a room dehumidifier then it is a great because the water it collects is pure and can be used in your car coolant system and SWMBO uses most of it in her steam iron stops the iron from caking up with limescale.

I live in Aberdeen and have never ever use distilled water. I have always used tap water with no ill effects. Now tap water down South that's a different storey.
Use tap water at your own peril.
Scottish water is the best, you don't realise how good until you have lived in London limescale land.

If you run a room dehumidifier then it is a great because the water it collects is pure and can be used in your car coolant system and SWMBO uses most of it in her steam iron stops the iron from caking up with limescale.
We run one of those, but the wife hasn't used an iron for more than 13 years and that was to do curtains, so I have to buy clothes that don't need ironing.

We run one of those, but the wife hasn't used an iron for more than 13 years and that was to do curtains, so I have to buy clothes that don't need ironing.

I see you must run one of the newer models that does not iron,that nearly always goes with not cooking and in some extreme cases not cleaning,you are much better off running a old model,looking forward to roast beef sunday lunch today and it is rare that a iron in this place lasts a year,we are always at Argos changing it within warranty :D

GLYSANTIN® G48® By basf​

or MB brand made by Basf​

or Comma with​

GLYSANTIN​

————coolants———-

deionised/distilled same difference.
They are different, you should only use distilled water in an autoclave and not deionised, dont know if it makes any difference in an engine though.

Scottish water is the best, you don't realise how good until you have lived in London limescale land.

I prefer the Scottish water than comes in fancy bottles and many different types distilled in many places.. Simply the best... ;-)

De-ionised means it has no ions in it, so it is pure water with no impurities.
Distillation is one technique for creating de-ionised water. It separates the water from the ionic "pollution" in this case. Distillation is also used for separating alcohol from other liquids eg water.
There are other techniques available for creating de-ionised water as well, but distilled water is deionised.

I am running an E220 CDI Diesel (2012 model) with the same issue (so I assume with OM651 engine). I have had to top up twice now since the end of Sept, but cannot find a leak and I have had the system pressure tested as well with no issues showing up. As an engine simpleton where will I find the water pump and heating element in the fuel filter on the engine to see if either is leaking? Cheers, Steve

With my E250CDi, very occasionally had to top it up. This went on for a year given it was approx 100ml a time. Just stuck to deionised water, (as have 5 x 5l from machine commissioning job).

The leak was between rear of engine and bulkhead, impossible to see on a hot engine.

Remember MB do exchange water pump units. Ask or they may forget to inform you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom