Torpedo 'continental' copper fuses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadychris

Car
SL320
After finding a badly corroded aluminium fuse in my boot auxiliary fuse box I want to replace all fuses with copper\brass ones...

It seems I have zero chance of getting hold of any ceramic bodied ones these days - so it looks like copper\thermoplastic is my best remaining option.
However 30 minutes with my best friend Google has only managed to come up with 40 pc kits from China... Cheap enough at a fiver but I have concerns about how 'thermo' the thermoplastic really is....
Flosser fuses have been recommended on a lot of forums - but seems they only now supply aluminium variants which I wish to avoid.

Does anyone have a link to, or know of a reputable UK supplier for decent quality brass torpedo fuses?

Following as could do with a set for my Ovlov 244.

I believe Durite still make copper fuses, however the thermoplastic element will be fine. If things are getting warm enough to trouble it, you have far bigger problems to worry about.

I believe Durite still make copper fuses, however the thermoplastic element will be fine. If things are getting warm enough to trouble it, you have far bigger problems to worry about.

Problem with thermoplastic is that sometimes they do get hot enough to melt\distort the plastic instead of simply blowing the metal fuse element. Here's one I pulled out of my motorhome.
Of course the dissimilar metal corrosion between copper holder and aluminium fuse material doesn't help here..
View attachment hot fuse.jpg
That damage leads to sparking and spikes which can damage some of the sensitive electronics in these older cars... Still, seems like ceramic body options are no longer available - hence why I want best quality plastic available and not some cheap Chinese putty....

Many thanks for the hint about Durite.. After a few failed hits on suppliers offering Durite - but actually with aluminium fuse blades, I hit on this one:

From the photo and description it looks like they are copper\brass and looks like the body may also be ceramic! (Loads of ebay sellers advertising 'ceramic' but quite clearly they are not!)

Anyways I've ordered up 30 x 8A, 20 x 16A and 10 x 25A which replaces all mine and leaves a good few spares - all for under a tenner!
I'll update here in a few days once I've seen what I actually receive.... fingers crossed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom