Torque Converter Potential Problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilesWFB

Car
2015 C220d S205
Hello,
I have a 2011 C220 with the OM651 engine I think. Last week I was at a workshop for something non-related and they said that they heard a sound from the torque converter (Saying it was on its way out). The car is on 209,000 miles and I was wondering what the sound could be because I can't hear it. There is a whine from the car up to around 10mph as it increases in pitch but this has always been there since I bought the car used and I have heard this in basically all Mercedes cars have been in. I don't know if that is the sound they mean. Could someone tell me what it sounds like and what is the best cause of action?

Very unlikely anyone here can tell you what the sound would be without hearing it, even then it would be difficult.

Maybe you have trapped a ghostie in your gearbox you know like the ghostbusters did with their traps and its trying to haunt you now, maybe

Maybe you have trapped a ghostie in your gearbox you know like the ghostbusters did with their traps and its trying to haunt you now, maybe

Oh yeah this all makes sense now😂

Hello,
I have a 2011 C220 with the OM651 engine I think. Last week I was at a workshop for something non-related and they said that they heard a sound from the torque converter (Saying it was on its way out). The car is on 209,000 miles and I was wondering what the sound could be because I can't hear it. There is a whine from the car up to around 10mph as it increases in pitch but this has always been there since I bought the car used and I have heard this in basically all Mercedes cars have been in. I don't know if that is the sound they mean. Could someone tell me what it sounds like and what is the best cause of action?

Did you get this sorted?

My car is E220d 2016 E Class W213 and i think i have a bad Torque Converter.

I am getting the following symptoms
- Steering Wheel vibrates and give sme that tingling sensation
- Harsh drive, not smooth

Did you experience similiar issues?

Did you get this sorted?

My car is E220d 2016 E Class W213 and i think i have a bad Torque Converter.

I am getting the following symptoms
- Steering Wheel vibrates and give sme that tingling sensation
- Harsh drive, not smooth

Did you experience similiar issues?

Hello,
We have not got it sorted. They told us what the sound was and it was just a howl sound up to around 10mph. I thought that this was normal since all Mercedes have this sound at low speed when pulling away (at least all the ones I've been in). That sound has not changed whatsoever and has always been there since we got the car 6 years ago. So dont know what they are talking about?

Did the vibrations you mentioned come suddenly or more.over weeks and months? Since we had a similar problem but the wheel balance was just off.
Also about the harsh drive. Have you tried reseting the gearbox? I heard that you can do this when gear changes are harsh. Not sure if it works though?

Hello,
We have not got it sorted. They told us what the sound was and it was just a howl sound up to around 10mph. I thought that this was normal since all Mercedes have this sound at low speed when pulling away (at least all the ones I've been in). That sound has not changed whatsoever and has always been there since we got the car 6 years ago. So dont know what they are talking about?

Did the vibrations you mentioned come suddenly or more.over weeks and months? Since we had a similar problem but the wheel balance was just off.
Also about the harsh drive. Have you tried reseting the gearbox? I heard that you can do this when gear changes are harsh. Not sure if it works though?

The sounds i get is like going over the Motorway Lane Strips, that vibration noise.

I think its either the TC or the CV Axles.

The car is under 1 year MB Warranty, i only bought it 3 months ago and it came like this which unfortunately i noticed after i bought.

The sounds i get is like going over the Motorway Lane Strips, that vibration noise.

I think its either the TC or the CV Axles.

The car is under 1 year MB Warranty, i only bought it 3 months ago and it came like this which unfortunately i noticed after i bought.
Does your car like the just sit at a specific RPM when under load and not have much variation?

Best thing to do is have mercedes check it then since it might be covered under warranty

Does your car like the just sit at a specific RPM when under load and not have much variation?

Best thing to do is have mercedes check it then since it might be covered under warranty
No i dont have any issues with the RPM although perhaphs i might of not noticed it, i will defo check it.

Mercedes is being a pain in the backside with fixing it. Either they don't want to fix it, or they just genuinely cannot diagnose it.

No i dont have any issues with the RPM although perhaphs i might of not noticed it, i will defo check it.

Mercedes is being a pain in the backside with fixing it. Either they don't want to fix it, or they just genuinely cannot diagnose it.
Ok, yeah have a look

Oh no, I can imagine, if you are close to another Mercedes dealership. Try them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom