Torque converter questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bellow

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C2500 350, 450
I have a couple of questions relating to TCs that hopefully someone here can answer.

1) On the surface of a TC that faces the engine flywheel there is at its centre a smallish diameter (coin sized) protrusion. What is its purpose? Does its external surface form a spigot that engages and centres the TC to the flywheel/flex plate? Internally does it have a function eg, houses a bush or bearing that supports the turbine?

2) Torque capacity - is there a limit?
I know that some members here have tweaked the MB 6cyl diesel to torque levels way beyond stock. Has this been in conjunction with an automatic transmission and if so, did the TC handle all the torque without protest?
TIA.

edit PS.
My questions relate to the older style non-lock up TC, specifically, the Ford C3 unit.

Last edited:
1, pretty sure it's the mounting point for the internal turbine.

2, Everything has a limit, I don't no figures I'm afraid, there is a derv tuning company pushing 5-600 Hp plus very high torque figure through standard transmissions.

I think you need to find a ford forum.

The pic below (not C3 but 1965 Mustang C4) appears to show the TC casing supporting the turbine. If so, bush or bearing?

mump_1101_03_+service_ford_mustang_c4_transmission+_transmission_cutaway.jpg

2) Torque capacity - is there a limit?
I know that some members here have tweaked the MB 6cyl diesel to torque levels way beyond stock. Has this been in conjunction with an automatic transmission and if so, did the TC handle all the torque without protest?

And does the stall speed rise with increasing levels of torque from the engine?

And does the stall speed rise with increasing levels of torque from the engine?

An answer to this has been found. It is ''Torque converters do not function in a void by themselves. The torque converter is an integral part of the total vehicle combination''

From here >> JEGS
where there is a whole load of useful info on TCs and their operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom