Torque Converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamRocky

Car
Mercedes CL203 200CDI
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience having their torque converter changed?

My car runs very well for an older car and has a huge history record including a gearbox refurbishment done by MB, but I notice at steady driving there is a slight fluctuation in the revs. Almost like a hunting from the C200 cdi engine. This only happens at steady speed. The engine idles perfectly and there is no issue accelerating or slowing down. Gears change smoothly up and down.
The engine runs beautifully and I had all of the glow plugs and battery replaced less than 1000 miles ago.
It was mentioned to me that it could be the torque converter and not the engine. I’m told wear can cause the fluctuations at steady speed. I personally have no idea, but it all comes done to how much it would cost and indeed if it would solve the issue after said cost. As nice as the car is it has a relatively low value …

Have any of you gone down the route of having the torque converter changed and what kind of cost was involved? Thanks all 👍🏻

I had the same on a Vito.
Shortly before my ownership the auto box had been refurb'ed.
I bought it and there was a gentle surging when cruising.
I had the mounts replaced, the prop uj's replaced, various other attempts.
Last was the TC refurb', it made no difference.
That was so many years ago the cost wouldn't be relevant now.

I was back to the auto box. The cost of that was more than could be justified, but I'm as sure as I can be that that was the issue. There are 3 (I think) clutches. If one is slipping the revs would fluctuate.
Mine would surge from around 1,800 to near 2,000 when cruising, with gentle vibes. It got worse slowly.

Over 3 years I did 36k miles, sold it at 336k miles. I can't complain as i got my money back.

I had the same on a Vito.
Shortly before my ownership the auto box had been refurb'ed.
I bought it and there was a gentle surging when cruising.
I had the mounts replaced, the prop uj's replaced, various other attempts.
Last was the TC refurb', it made no difference.
That was so many years ago the cost wouldn't be relevant now.

I was back to the auto box. The cost of that was more than could be justified, but I'm as sure as I can be that that was the issue. There are 3 (I think) clutches. If one is slipping the revs would fluctuate.
Mine would surge from around 1,800 to near 2,000 when cruising, with gentle vibes. It got worse slowly.

Over 3 years I did 36k miles, sold it at 336k miles. I can't complain as i got my money back.
That is interesting to know! A difference of 500rpm sounds a lot too. This is very gentle 100rpm or less and oddly not all the time. Other than this the car has been faultless

There is a test that can be done on Star Diagnostics to check the Torque Converter. The TC can be disabled and you can drive the car to see if the symptoms have disappeared.

Once the TC has been disabled, it remains disabled until you restart the car. I can try and dig out how you do this but you will need access to the Star diagnostics tool.

Yeah as above, you need a diag to lock up the torque converter, if that stops your surging then that’s your problem (likely) 🤔

I seem to remember it being written that the lock up releases at 30mph, true or false?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom