Torque your wheel bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MB cars do not come with factory-fitted locking wheel bolts.

These are a dealer option, i.e. during the PDI the supplying dealer removes one bolts from each wheel and replaces it with a locking wheel bolt using an original MB after-market locking wheel bolt kit.

(This is also why you often find fours standard bolts in the locking wheel bolts case).

Incidentally, Vauxhall do the same, and I suspect other German manufacturers do this as well. It seems that German cars are just not supplied with factory-fitted wheel bolts for some reason.

Just wondering why would the dealer absorb the cost and labour installing locking nuts. I can't seeing them supplying a set out of the kindness of their hearts especially, as they appear to be problematic. They would also have to stock sets for every model they sell.

Maybe MB specify that they should be fitted at PD (and deliver them with the car) as it would be an extra step on the assembly line.

I seem to recall that my car spec sheet included locking nuts. I got a set with mine from new and have the other 4 in the box!

Just wondering why would the dealer absorb the cost and labour installing locking nuts. I can't seeing them supplying a set out of the kindness of their hearts especially, as they appear to be problematic. They would also have to stock sets for every model they sell.

Maybe MB specify that they should be fitted at PD (and deliver them with the car) as it would be an extra step on the assembly line.

I seem to recall that my car spec sheet included locking nuts. I got a set with mine from new and have the other 4 in the box!
UK cars are delivered to the customer with locking wheel nuts as standard.

Also, if you look at the box you'll see that the part number isn't in MB production format i.e. A xxx xxx xx xx, instead it's an MB after-market (accessory) format i.e B xxxxxxxx.

No idea why it's fitted by the dealer and not at the production line though, must be some sort of logistic reason (and I am sure that MB would have saved the cost of the 4 spare wheel bolts if they could...).

Reactions: GLK
I’ve replaced the locking nuts on three previous cars, Rover and Jaguar but as yet I’ve still got the lockers on both Mercs.
With one of my Rovers I had to get an engineering company to drill out a locking nut after they had been over torqued by the Main Dealer.
With my XF I inadvertently left the adaptor key in place when I took the car out for a short test run after servicing it. I eventually managed to remove all four locking nuts using a “modified” adaptor.

UK cars are delivered to the customer with locking wheel nuts as standard.

Also, if you look at the box you'll see that the part number isn't in MB production format i.e. A xxx xxx xx xx, instead it's an MB after-market (accessory) format i.e B xxxxxxxx.

No idea why it's fitted by the dealer and not at the production line though, must be some sort of logistic reason (and I am sure that MB would have saved the cost of the 4 spare wheel bolts if they could...).

Agree - your post mentioned "dealer option" hence my comments.:)

I've seen car production lines and usually there is a machine that fits/tightens all 4/5 nuts at the same time. I expect that it is easier not fiddling with the 'key' on the assembly line and to leave it as part of PD.:)

First thing I do on my car purchases, check for locking wheel bolts and remove them! More hassle than they are worth.

Alloy wheel theft has pretty much disappeared hasn’t it?

Now I say that - I bet mine will be stolen lol :D

Reactions: LXA
I've seen car production lines and usually there is a machine that fits/tightens all 4/5 nuts at the same time. I expect that it is easier not fiddling with the 'key' on the assembly line and to leave it as part of PD.:)

For that five keys would be needed or a slow one by one fitting. Also, the key then has to stay with the car that may not even have its interior fitted yet.

The logical reason for fitting locking wheel nuts post production is this. The rig for fitting wheel bolts would have to carry the keys for the bolts in order to fit and torque them. Given the number of bolt/key combinations and wheel options it would mean more operations on the line, potential for errors in making sure the right keys/space saver bolts ended up in the boot. Fitting by the dealer on PDI eliminates the risk of any errors and saves time on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom