total doozy-W124 blowing #1 fuse after hd gasket repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300TE Fan

Car
1990 300TE
Oh joy.

1990 300TE...

Ok...get this. I blew my head gasket the old fashioned way...overheating due to coolant hose blowing.

So I try one of those chemical head gasket repair things by a popular radiator seal company. You empty the radiator, add water and this stuff. The car heats up and through the high heat of the leaking cylinder, some chemical seal is heat formed at the spot of the blown gasket. You then drain it all, and add coolant back into the radiator. Hey, the thing actually works

BUT.....

While I was doing the proceedure (at least this is when I think it happened), I blew #1 fuse.

There is now a short. There are 3 wires to that fuse. I figured out which wire is actually shorted and left it disconnected while putting the other two back to the fuse.

The wire that is shorted...or rather, what now does NOT work...all power windows, ventilation fan, rear window wiper.

The chemical I used looked like it had cooper particles in it. I am wondering if maybe there is a sensor or something that could possibly have gotten shorted out?

Maybe this is all a coincidence, maybe not. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

BTW...that chemical plug lasted about 4,000 miles before it blew again. I am now replacing the head gasket for real, but this still leaves my shorting out issue to be resolved.

Last edited:
i bet your rear window washer has leaked all over the inside of the tailgate as its blown off. normally the case.

very cool...thanks for the tip. I will have a go at it in a few days. My uncle is currently tackling the head gasket repair issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom