Totally Off Topic!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul

Car
2011 E220
I was talking to someone today and they were refering to taking "POPPERS" what are these? I didnt want to look a complete tw*t so made out I knew what they meant :rolleyes: .

I assume its a form of drug or something.

Widen holes... front and back

Thanks, but I wonder why they refer to "Taking" some poppers when it appears you smell it instead?

I just read some of the side effects, and I dont think I would like to try it.

poppers are basically amyl nitrite which was a drug introduced in the 19th century as a relief to chest pains such as angina and still has medical use as a heart stimulant.

It does this (I think) by lowering blood pressure, the brain senses this and tries to grab it's blood supply causing the heart to beat faster to keep pace.

The effects if inhaled directly are a brief and intense "head rush" which lasts a couple of minutes - it is a blast but the downside is it can give headaches and glaucoma sufferers shouldn't use it as it increases pressure on the eyeball.

In my younger days we used to get hold of it directly from - well I won't say, but it was in little snap off cardboard tubes that fit nicely up the nose :).

The poppers that you see these days are a dilute of the surgical stuff and are really intended to be left in a room so that the effects can be more long term, a feeling of light headedness and euphoria with increased sexual awareness - that will be all the blood flowing :) (it's sold as an aphrodisiac).

Legal bits, posession is no problem, selling it as a substance to be inhaled is illegal as it would be classed as a medicine requiring a prescription. selling it in bottles as a "room deodoriser" however exploits a loophole.

Well, that's what I know about it :)

Oh, and if you do try it - don't mix it with alcohol.

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
Oh, and if you do try it - don't mix it with alcohol.

And I also assume driving under the influence of "Room Deodorizer" is out of the question too?

Hmm, by that rationelle, I guess you shouldn't drive around with an ashtray full of pot pourri either ;)

Informative post, by the way...

--
Ant

Originally posted by andy_k

The poppers that you see these days are a dilute of the surgical stuff and are really intended to be left in a room so that the effects can be more long term, a feeling of light headedness and euphoria with increased sexual awareness - that will be all the blood flowing :) (it's sold as an aphrodisiac).

Legal bits, posession is no problem, selling it as a substance to be inhaled is illegal as it would be classed as a medicine requiring a prescription. selling it in bottles as a "room deodoriser" however exploits a loophole.

Andy

Thanks Andy, But do they sell it as a deodoriser, obviously not the sort you get at Tesco's then? I assume this is under the counter stuff then?

Why though do they refer to "Taking a couple of poppers" this is whats confusing me as I thought it was a tablet or something you took orally.

Sorry if I sound thick but I've never really had any dealings along these lines (No pun intended) :p .

You can generally find them in "Adult Mag" stores, cult/goth shops and some of the seedier comic book shops too. Not quite under the counter, but proprieters make a big deal out of clearly badging poppers as room deodorisers, often accompanied with small print for extra get-out-of-jail ammo.

They take the form of small phials, about the size of a bottle of eye drops. Last time I saw them, a small bottle would set you back £5.

People use the verb "to take" interchangeably with all kinds of actions. I guess its just become the defacto verb for popper usage, which should really be the verb "To inhale". As far as I am aware, there is no oral alternative to inhaling the popper fumes.

I personally have never used them - I get my kicks from my benz :)

--
Antony

Thanks Antony.

Next time they mention it I can now safely nod in the knowledge I know proberly more about the stuff than them.

Thanks again.

mbclub: no question left unanswered, no matter how off topic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom