Totally stumped, simple wiring job went wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Ok so lesson learnt today, I know k'all about auto electrics! :confused:

I spent most of the afternoon wiring up an ipod integration kit. Well chuffed with the cosmetics I was flushed with pride at my professional finish and installation. Anyway trying to connect it up didnt go well. Simple really the unit has a harness like this.

Yellow = +12Vdc
Red = ACC
Black = GND

I located a constant 12V feed by metering the connectors on the back of the command unit. I connected the yellow cable to this.

I connected the red and black cables to the corresponding =12Vdc and GND on the rear on the cigar lighter. BUT....

It doesn't work. The unit will not power on however when I turn the ignition off the display on the device comes on and says "powering down"

I spent all afternoon trying to sort this out without success. Has anyone got any advice on what I may have done wrong, and how I should connect this thing up?

The unit I am trying to connect is a Harman & Kardon Drive and Play IPOD unit. A wiring diagram is available here: http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/diagram.aspx

Any help woul be greatly appreciated!

Sorry cannot help but I have just bought one of these kits (well a few weeks back) been thinking where to put it but too cold outside....

I also bought the FM transmitter that fits directly into the back of the head unit rather than use the inbuilt wireless method.

Have to say from initial use playing with said device in car its great.

Hope you get it sorted.

Is the yellow the constant 12v or the switchable?

I would swap them around to be sure.

Yellow is constant well the label on the wire says "battery". I switched the ignition off and I still metered 12V, so I assume this is constant but then this has totally confused me today .. so who knows! I am hoping someone with more experience will be able to shed some light

I had this problem when I first did an slk ipod kit,youve got the wires wrong,check the plug numbers and the wire colours,you will have got them the wrong way round

According to the wiring diagram your 2a fused yellow wire is the constant 12v supply, the red is the 12v supplied via the ignition accessory position and the black is the earth. First check the wires go to the correct position in the plug that plugs into the unit. Then check with the plug disconnected from the unit that you have a 12v constant at yellow 12v switched at red ( ignition switch and warning lights on just before the starter position) and earth continuity on the black. DO NOT USE THE black EARTH wire on the plug for your negative meter contact for the yellow and red tests and use a good body earth to check for earth continuity on the black wire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom