Touch Screen Controls are a Danger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brilliant. Haven't heard that in years :)
😊 Yes , we have some great words .

The other one which comes to mind was when my dad was given a Ford Zephyr or Zodiac for a weekend in the early 70’s by a car salesman eager to make a sale : so much so that he delivered it to the house , and there was a bottle of whisky in the glovebox ! ( Great sales gimmick ! ) .

Anyway I’m no expert on Fords but this must have been the predecessor of the Mk1 Granada , it was a huge square thing with a very long nose and a ‘hood ornament’ like the one on some Lincolns .

When the guy came back on the Sunday and asked what my dad thought of it , his verdict :

It’s Humphy-Backet 😁😄🤣

No sale , that time .

A couple of years later we did buy a Mk 1 Consul , 4 cyl sibling of the Mk 1 Granada . YGM 84L . The Merc stayed though as that car was for my mum , replaced a Beetle .

I sometimes find technology in cars overwhelming these days. My sons who are more tech-savvy than me have no issues. When my phone rings in the car by the time I’ve worked out which button to press the caller has already hung up. I complained to MB that my stop/start wasn’t working correctly but that was pilot error.
I’ve nearly crashed switching between the cruise control and speed limiter, still not sure which button works which function. Sometimes when I press the speed limiter function it reverts to my previous limit, which if it was 40 mph and I’m travelling at 70 I need a neck brace to cope with the deceleration.
Race start I’ve never used and no interest in it.
I prefer simple on or off buttons.
Perhaps I’m just an old fart who’s showing early signs of dementia. Followed my sat nav last week and got lost, what’s that all about ffs. o_O
I just stick with cars where I understand the technology . Any Merc made in the last 50 years will last forever if maintained .

Touchscreens in cars are a backward step in terms of safety. In all probability, they're slower to use than an old switch, button of rotary control. \........................

Yep.....

When I adjust my audio volume, I rarely use the steering wheel buttons. I use the volume knob - quicker and easier to tweak the volume to where I want it. Ditto preset radio stations, navi or media options, press of a button instead of scrolling on the steering and having to have my eyes in the instrument panel.

Yep.....

When I adjust my audio volume, I rarely use the steering wheel buttons. I use the volume knob - quicker and easier to tweak the volume to where I want it. Ditto preset radio stations, navi or media options, press of a button instead of scrolling on the steering and having to have my eyes in the instrument panel.

But steering conrtols have little to do with touch screens.

Every car I have had in the last 20 years has had volume and station controls on the steering wheel or a column mounted control. No problems. And on no requirement for touch screens.

But steering conrtols have little to do with touch screens.

Every car I have had in the last 20 years has had volume and station controls on the steering wheel or a column mounted control. No problems. And on no requirement for touch screens.

Agree, but I'd rather push one button than tab through a range of numbers. Also, steering wheel controls mean both hands (theoretically) stay on the wheel although, the driving position of most drivers leaves a lot to be desired (my favourite is the right arm drape at about 11 o' clock on the steering wheel :rolleyes: ).

You need to get with the times Grandad, multi quote is so last year. Multi car insurance is where the smart money goes these days. When I got my Mazda3 Sport Nav I had to get a multi car policy because I couldn’t let the Honda Civic Type-S go, it’s just too good, and I had done so many road trips in it. That and my mum said that whenever she needed it I was out in it street racing, and so I needed to get my own car. That’s when I decided to make my childhood dream come true, I still remember now being sat in Mrs Smith’s English lessons doodling the stunning lines of M3SN, and I’ve had to wait a three long years to make it a reality. I’ve never been given a head start in life, I’ve had to work hard for everything I’ve got, so I was so proud of everything I had achieved as I sat and watched my Mum sign the PCP agreement in the Mazda dealer that day. I almost didn’t get the Nav version but I decided, I work hard, so I’m going to play hard, and I got the Nav. Life is too short for regrets. Anyway, back to multi car insurance. Just because my mum let me drive her Honda Civic Type-S that didn’t mean I was going to let her drive my Mazda3 with Sky Activ control, but I let her put it on her multi car policy. I could absolutely have afforded to get my own insurance I just couldn’t be bothered, more time for driving, feeling the beautiful balance. The HCTS was probably the best car in the real world and certainly the fastest point to point, but times have moved on grandad, and there’s a new kid in town. That kid drives an M3SN.

You Ok there Rob? 🤔

Have you OD’ed on Nespresso’s?

Which F1 team will be the first to replace the current steering wheel knobs/buttons with a touchscreen, perhaps located on the floor in order to be easily accessible with either hand.

The old fashioned way would be to push /turn the kers button on the steering wheel, whilst continuing to see what's happening ahead and planning the overtake. So last year.

However, the new and improved modern method:
Look down, locate touch screen, remove hand from wheel
touch screen to reactivate it
Scroll through options and then select power train option (conveniently located on page 1 for speed of access)
Scroll down, select Kers
Scroll down, select confirm
Scroll down, select, yes use kers

Look up to ensure still safe to overtake, 'Ah, oh dear, the car in front is braking hard' .

Clearly, if use of the touchscreen requires gloves to be removed, this might increase control activation time slightly but the designers have reassured the drivers that the additional time would be minimal and, in any case, it would affect all drivers equally.

I'm currently awaiting a response from Mercedes F1.;)

Life was so much simpler when I drove a w123 circa 1980

Reactions: 219
Sometimes even I struggle with broad Glaswegian or Aberdonian Doric .

Not sure if the machine would know what scooshers are ?

It has to be said the technology has come on - these days Siri or Alexa seldom fail to understand, although my Bury carkits still say ‘pardon’ or just offer to call the wrong person .

Fits at aboot folk fae Aberdeeeeen ye Cannie unerstan. If a seen ye wakin doon i road adbe fitlike min foos yer divits i day...ir ye aye drivin at al merc. in foos i fameily deein...abidy still wirkin awa 👍😀

The other one which comes to mind was when my dad was given a Ford Zephyr or Zodiac for a weekend in the early 70’s

My dad brought one home on a test drive and it was too big to easily get up the side of the house into the garage so again no sale.

Sometime later I drove a V4 version with unassisted steering. It had something like 5 turns lock to lock, horrid thing. There was so much space between the engine and radiator you could have held a dance in there.

My dad brought one home on a test drive and it was too big to easily get up the side of the house into the garage so again no sale.

Don't know what the dimensions of that model were - but I'm guessing that a modern small hatchback would be close to its width.

My recollection of the last (very squared boxy) Zephyrs and Zodiacs is that they felt huge in their day. Whereas the contemporary Cortina and Anglia would be noticably narrower.

Don't know what the dimensions of that model were - but I'm guessing that a modern small hatchback would be close to its width.

My recollection of the last (very squared boxy) Zephyrs and Zodiacs is that they felt huge in their day. Whereas the contemporary Cortina and Anglia would be noticably narrower.

The Mk4 Zepher was two inches wider than his previous Mk3. He bought a new MK 3 Cortina instead which was a little smaller and very much nicer to drive. Has the manual gearbox of that era ever been surpassed. I passed my test 1st time in that car without ever having a formal lesson. I used to go with my dad for a hour and we would always finish the lesson at a pub. Happy days.

Fit like Loon? 😏

Aye min, nae bad 👍 yirsel? It wis affa fine here i day fir a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom