touch up paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

v2mille

Car
c350 cdi sport estate
Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of using the Halfords touch up 3 step kits, im not a novice when it comes to car repairs and paints but I am having real difficulty in getting a colour match for my 2012 iridium silver (paint code 775) c class.
The Halfords one is way too dark followed instructions was done in a 22oc environment but stood out like a sore thumb so removed it and got a local spray shop to make some up only £5 but looked like aluminium on the car, now I appreciate its a metallic and the amount of flake can differ but for 2 paints to be so far off I am wondering if my paint code is correct, any comments appreciated thanks.

Have you tried the paint kit offered by your dealer?

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of using the Halfords touch up 3 step kits, im not a novice when it comes to car repairs and paints but I am having real difficulty in getting a colour match for my 2012 iridium silver (paint code 775) c class.
The Halfords one is way too dark followed instructions was done in a 22oc environment but stood out like a sore thumb so removed it and got a local spray shop to make some up only £5 but looked like aluminium on the car, now I appreciate its a metallic and the amount of flake can differ but for 2 paints to be so far off I am wondering if my paint code is correct, any comments appreciated thanks.

I have the same problem. Halfords is a little too dark. You do have to ensure its thoroughly mixed though.
I'm going to buy a touch up paint from MB and hopefully it will be a better match.
Halfords was too convenient but didn't match on this occasion although silver id difficult to match Ive been told.

Silver is difficult to match even when it's what you do for a living. It's all to do with the way the metallic flakes lay, a similar effect is had when you brush a snooker table cloth. It's still the same colour, but looks a different shade depending on which way it's brushed. HTH.

The best you'll get with a touch-up pot is that the scratch or chip won't rust anymore ;)

^ I'd agree with that. The previous owner of my E55 had the door resprayed when it was keyed, but the match is dreadful. It really bugs me to look at two different shades and I'm contemplating having the whole o/s of the car resprayed by a car spraying friend at mates rates.

20150409_145555_zpslxiv7mpa.jpg

I used Halfords' kit, but with Obsidian Black the colour match is probably easier.

Said that, I just touched-up using the paint itself, I did not bother with the abrasive bits or the lacquer. So it was pretty much a one-step process for me...

MB touch up paints are us .But if you have a plain paint ,and not metalic , you can use the original MB touch up sticks.I have three lots in the garage one from mb ,one from ebay ,and one from halfrauds ,None any good for my metalic finish.; Last time i had my wing fixed i used a paint chap local to me .He put it right ,it was scratched about 1.5 of inch .He left me a pot of touch up paint after he left .Had the same with both my volvos both were meta;lic paints .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom