Tough Little Buggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sorry but if a human being was in that car they would be pulp. The cars may be strong but ya cannae change the laws of physics...!

That was the 5th Gear test at 70mph.
They did a traditional steel car as well (maybe Polo) and it survived reasonably as well.

You would have lost your feet and the decelleration may have been enough to kill you but the car stayed together very well indeed.

Dieselman said:
That was the 5th Gear test at 70mph.
You would have lost your feet and the decelleration may have been enough to kill you but the car stayed together very well indeed.
Not 'may' have been enough - they said anybody in the car would have definitely died. Your internal organs suffer severe damage when they're stopped that quickly.

Makes me cringe when people gloat about how undamaged their car was after an accident in which the other car was squashed - modern cars, apart from Smarts, obviously, are designed to absorb impacts rather than simply allow the driver/passenger to be sujected to the full force.

I'm really impressed by that, I had no faith in Smarts at all and thats amazing :eek: .

Mind you as for human body not being up to it, I was told that Princess Di and Doddie should have been alive if they'd been wearing thier seat belts and the body guard did survive and that was 90mph to concrete pole 0 mph pretty much instantly :eek: .

JumJum said:
I'm really impressed by that, I had no faith in Smarts at all and thats amazing :eek: .
I suppose you die if you crash a Smart into a concrete block at 70MPH either way - if the car doesn't deform, you heart explodes, if the car does deform then it probably crushes you!
JumJum said:
Mind you as for human body not being up to it, I was told that Princess Di and Doddie should have been alive if they'd been wearing thier seat belts and the body guard did survive and that was 90mph to concrete pole 0 mph pretty much instantly :eek: .
Doddie! Maybe if they'd packed the car with Diddy Men they'd have been OK!

Seriously though, apparently MB were pretty cut up about it - it was an easily surviveable accident, the car hit the pillar and than span around. As you say, the bodyguard (wearing a seat belt) survived and the front right of the car (where he was sitting) was the most badly damaged.

I have a heck of a lot of faith in these little cars, I have seen a few crash tests on them now and they never fail to impress me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom