Tour of Britain Cycle Race 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
Stage 1 of this race started in Glasgow going all the way to Kirkcudbright and it was passing through my village (Tarbolton) so with lovely weather for the first time this week I wanted to watch the racers pass through.
The missus however wanted to get out for a coffee and to collect some fresh eggs we get direct from the farm. So we went out in the SL, top down of course but after collecting the eggs I knew we wouldn’t have enough time to stop for a coffee at one of our favourite places Dumfries House so instead on the way back I used the route the cycle race would be taking but in the reverse direction back to my village.

Just a few miles from home a local farmer had decided to cut the road side hedge. As I passed this huge machine I noticed all the thorns etc spread all over the road and thought “well the cyclists are in for an unwelcome surprise”. Anyway as I approached home and with the time for the race passing through getting closer I decided to stop on a lay-by right at the junction coming out of the village onto the main Ayr to Mauchline road and set up with my folding chair and camera ready.

After a few of the service type vehicles passed through a Police motor cyclist came along with blue lights and right up behind a small hatchback. As the police cyclist approached the junction he came alongside the car with the purpose to stop vehicles entering the village but he was also blocking the view of the motorists wanting to turn right. I could hear him calling to the officer “I can’t see”
What happened next could have been very nasty as the officer beckoned clearly to the motorist to pull out which he had started to do but there was a car coming on the opposite direction. Both cars had to brake sharply but no collision took place. I wonder who would have been at fault.

I’ve always admired these guys who patrol our roads and they have a difficult job with special events but as each Police motor cyclist moved onto his next post he would be replaced with another as the main road was now blocked for all traffic to allow the race to pass through, but on at least two occasions there was no Police Cyclist controlling the junction.

Eventually the race passed through and what a spectacle to witness such a great number of bikes passing through the right hand junction onto the main road all without incident.
Then the Police cyclist moved off leaving the now lengthy queue of traffic wondering was it now safe to proceed. After the first few drivers moved on somewhat bewildered yet another couple of vehicles with blue lights flashing passed through yet still no “all clear”. It left me wondering what would I have done.

BTW the Police bikes were from all over the country, I spotted some from Devon and Cornwall, Wales and North Yorkshire Police among them.

So everybodys police force resources are now reduced just so a bunch of MAMILs can ride there bikes along a road. I got stuck at a junction for about twenty minutes whilst a similiar event took place some time ago. But it is ok as they are important and everybody elses day isnt. if they want to ride on public roads make them all have numbers and ensure that they follow the rules of the road (yeah right)and why do they need so many vehicles, surely if the cyclist gets a puncture let the rider fix it, its all part of the fun
rant about bl**dy cylists in large groups over, i dont mind ordinary cyclists.

this made me laugh though

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now for the dumb question,
how many of those drivers were prosecuted?

what made me laugh was, it was a roundabout and they turned round instead of just going round!!! i dont suppose any were prosecuted. the arrogance of some of the drivers in driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway was astounding. if there had of been an accident could of made for some interesting explanations

Reactions: m80
So going the wrong way round a spaghettiabout, reversing on the same, using the wrong exit, driving over lane separations, going too fast for the wet conditions don't constitute dangerous driving.

Still all's well that they get away with.

Where exactly did this happen, it was a lovely sunny day yesterday or is this footage from a previous year

i have no doubt they were thinking that they are the most important people on the road and nothing should get in our way, and that all the other cars should not be on "our" road

So everybodys police force resources are now reduced just so a bunch of MAMILs can ride there bikes along a road. I got stuck at a junction for about twenty minutes whilst a similiar event took place some time ago. But it is ok as they are important and everybody elses day isnt. if they want to ride on public roads make them all have numbers and ensure that they follow the rules of the road (yeah right)and why do they need so many vehicles, surely if the cyclist gets a puncture let the rider fix it, its all part of the fun
rant about bl**dy cylists in large groups over, i dont mind ordinary cyclists.

this made me laugh though

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Ah, they chose the village idiots to do a voice over.

Passing the bottom of my street in 7 mins or so. A rolling road block along the sea front and all parking spaces blocked off since last night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom