Touring Austria, Any Potential Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pietre

Car
Volkswagon Phaeton V10 5.0L
I have a fancy, funds permitting to take my car to Austria for a holiday. Does anyone have any reccomendations for stop overs or using as a base, and any issues I should be aware of prior to booking. Seems a lovely place to visit.;)

I went to the Austrian Alps and hired a chalet. The views are just gorgeous, and its where the sound of music was filmed. It was about 1200 meters up and as you're driving your ears start to pop! I can try and find the name of the place if you want?

If you could that would be really helpfull. Have a narna :bannana:

Which way was you planning on driving??? France, Belgium Germany, the quickest or Switzerland...Scenic route If you go Switzerland route (you may not) they dont use Euro's so remember to fill up in France, and you pay a one off annual Motorway fee (about £35).

PS if you have Comand get the maps... they are priceless for fuel stops etc

Beautiful country, no problems. Tirol is the traditional mountain bit to the north of and surrounding Innsbruck. Lots of towns and villages to stay. Seefeld, now a bit over touristy, has it all.
Salzburg is the base for Sound of Music (can't stand it personally but it takes all tastes. Big country, Vienna , the capital over on the Eastern side not worth the travel IMHO.
We always go to a valley in the east, Kleinwalsertal. It is Austria but the only way in and out is through Germany. We go walking in teh hills and mountains. Great mountain huts to stop for refreshment and a meal. It is close to the Swiss German border and Bodensee a beautiful large lake bordering Getrmany, Austria and Switzerland. On the way, if you come through Switzerland around the Zurich area, consider stopping at Schaffhausen, the falls that mark the start of the Rhine and where Sherlock Holmes died fictitiously for the first time at the hands of Moriarty.
Also on the way, if you have kids, is Europa Park, reputedly the best in Europe in the Freiburg (Germany) area.
Dolomites on border with Italy also beautiful.

Austria is quite a "long" country. It is for example 500km from Innsbruck to Vienna so if you want to go touring need to know which bit.

If you want the Alpine bits my personal choice for a spring/summer base is Kitzbuhel. Nice town, loads of good hotels although some are pricey. I have stayed at the Jagerwirt a couple of times and it is fine.

Quite a lot of really good places to tour and walk locally but also much in easy reach such as the Hohe Tauern National Park which gives you excuse to drive the Grossglockner. That is really not to be missed.

http://www.grossglockner.com/

Also easy to get to Salzburg, Innsbruck and less well known attractions like Eisriesenwelt ice caves and the Swarovski Kristalwelten which sound dull but are actually pretty good!

http://www.eisriesenwelt.at/

http://www.swarovski.com/kristallwelten/

Possible to ski any time of year in places such as Kaprun Glacier which is only 80km away and in the same area as the Grossglockner. If around there Zell am See worth a visit.

Things to note about driving in Austria are simple, perhaps most important that they are quite serious about the posted speed limits. You will need to buy a Vignette to drive on motorways and you must also carry a yellow hi-vis vest in you car at all times.

remember the hills are alive (so julie says) so dont go sticking anything in them

gary

Great country-well worth a visit. Stop in Munich en route.
I reckon the best scenery is in the south of the country.
Obey road signs ( as regards speed, parking etc) Do not mess with the police- they do not take pity on tourists. Salzburg is of manageable size - easy to find your way round. Plenty of parking in a mountain -seriously. I agree with earlier posting about Vienna.
Generally the people are pleasant and polite; little or no litter; no drunks; and you will be hard pushed to come across a yob.
Eating out- the best advice is always go to somewhere that is busy and full of locals. Servings are large.
Enjoy!

Salzburg area (sound of Music) beautiful (Don't stand on any Orchestra Pit covers). Agree with the vienna posts unless you're on a mozart mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom