Touring: Ayrshire and the Borders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Friday night was immense, my mate, his Mrs and I ate a massive amount of curry, ice cream. Kebabish on Victoria Road comes very highly recommended and Tchaivona in Glasgows West End does too for Shisha and tea.

Anyway we hatched a plan for a tour and as the night was glorious we thought we'd be in for a good day.

Departing from Glasgow after a breakfast of Pancakes, syrup and bacon and with in car scran sourced from Sainsburys taste the difference range, we despondently headed on the M8 westbound in a shower of grey, euroboxes and spray. It did not seem a good idea but looking far west upto the Hills as the road runs down the Langbank section of the 8 things were looking better.

I've not headed this run for ages, but a few PMs with our very own Derek Mc got me thinking about the south and west of Scotland. Coupled with Evo's COTY being hosted here and Top Gear Magazine doing a piece about 3 GT cars and star gazing I thought, aye, lets do this....

The first stop for Ciggies for my two pals took place at Lyle Hill and after a rich night on the curry some open air was needed.

Does it get more open than this

_DSC0138 by [email protected], on Flickr

We are at Lyle Hill where you can see the Clyde Estuary open up. You can see up Loch Long, over to the Holy Loch etc. Amazing view and a place I would return to at sunset. The run had been pretty undramatic and both pals commented on how comfy and smooth the C class was. This was an interesting observation as from a test drive of a BMW 320d with my mate at the back he couldn't wait to get out. I find the C class every bit as firm as the BMW I drove but its pleasing to hear she still has the Mercedes qualities.

For the un-initiated there is a diagram if you don't know the area

_DSC0141 by [email protected], on Flickr

From here, it was the run to Wemyss Bay down the coast line (A78 road). I had planned to stop to take a picture but the road truly is epic, with great twists and turns. This is where the firmness of the smaller Mercedes comes into play. My old old E class (AG E220cdi) felt a bit of a pudding along here, and comparing the speeds I carried in that car to this one along the road is mildly astonishing. And the passangers barely noticed until I pointed out we were holding 60 through practically all the turns with out having the fight the car round. Its drives like this that put a smile on your face.

After this the A78 gets a bit tedious and you hook up with the A77. We stopped for a bottle of juice, pit stop (a lot of curry means regular ones) and then the first passanger protest of the day. It was lashing down with rain, and a diesel spill or something on the roundabout as the car went, ESP, a half turn of counter steer and saved. Blimey.

After reading the 4matic thread and generally been against 4wd a forward driven axle would have pulled the car straighter sooner than I and the ESP system would be able to gather it up. Luckily I was mindful of the weather conditions so it was real low speed stuff (20mph) but a kerb, lampost getting closer focuses ones mind.

Anyway, after this, we head over one of the FINEST driving roads the whole of Britain has to offer. The Galloway tourist road from Ayr to Dumfries. The A713.

This road takes you up the Dalmellington valley. Once a working area with coal mines, now sadly in decline and no huge industry in the area, but its still beautiful and the road truly is epic with sweeping twists, decent elevation changes and tigher turns.

Again the sheer class of the OEM dampers in the 204 means the bottom end of the car never comes into contact with the road surface, something both my 211s did on this route, and the lack of body roll means 60mph can be maintained most of the way. And this is the plus of the RWD, the ability to turn in, and that lovely steering feeling you get. 170bhp makes for lively performance and the spacing of the gears perfect for the road with 3rd giving you plenty of power when you need it with great engine braking for more control. A 7g Merc would go between 3 and 4 on this road making for infuriating progress.

Sadly, the weather closed in to this. A Sainsburys break and a ciggie break was needed. I took some snaps.

_DSC0152 by [email protected], on Flickr

I bet you look in horror at this. Snow, mid March and RWD, was not expecting snow, but the winter tyres here were more useful. No wheel spin at all this time, but its a mere dusting but the summers would have spun a bit

_DSC0155 by [email protected], on Flickr

The roads ace. The pic doesn't do it justice

_DSC0158 by [email protected], on Flickr

Normally I drive at the NSL on a road like this where conditions allow. Yesterday I did not. With pools of standing water, (no ice it was above 1c) and winter tyres with knobbly tread blocks the handling is not as sure footed as a summer tyre shod car at speed. A 4matic car would be devistating in such conditions, as the drive to the front would help pull the car out the bend, even at low speeds you could feel the car just wanting to dance around. Perhaps its a testimate to Mercedes for engineering a car that communicates so much to the driver but it lets you know when it doesn't like something.

However, about 10 miles later. Looking at the map this is called Carsfad Loch?

_DSC0163 by [email protected], on Flickr

4c, just a dampness to the road and 60mph could be attained through most of the turns. Took a hero shot of the car

_DSC0174 by [email protected], on Flickr

And took a wander, they smoked some more cigs and I got wet feet heading down to the bottom of the field. I found a cool old shed

_DSC0169 by [email protected], on Flickr

This got me thinking about my old shed, it would have probably broken down by now. I've had this car for a while and nothings fallen off or broken other than a bulb and I cannot still say anything bad about it other than its a bit gruffer, slower in a straight line, and not as comfy on the motorway as its last one. But as my pal says, its still damned quiet and comfy. These cars do really spoil us.

From here, I wanted to tackle the A702 from where it starts at St Johns Town of Dalry. This is an insparational drive. Tight twisty, hilly even 60 in the bends is pushing it, but shes not a wide car so you can keep it at least in your side of the road. On the more well sighted sections, use 3rd gear and attack. The weather was pretty nice but as we climbed higher grounds there was snow, and whilst they say winter tyres are great in this, I have no desire to meet my maker so tamed the speed back.

_DSC0178 by [email protected], on Flickr

Whilst the scenery lacks the majestic views of the highlands I have shared with you over the last half decade, it still has something about it.

_DSC0183 by [email protected], on Flickr
The roads are as good as you will get anywhere, actually, I've done the entire 702 from Edinburgh to St Johns Town of Dalry in various steeds and its an amazing road. I doubt you'll do much better, maybe the A701 in bits but this has to be one of the best drives you will ever have in a car. Way better than the Evo Triangle which only really thrills at speeds over 80....

We wound our way along to a village called Moniaive and took this in the calming evening light.

_DSC0190 by [email protected], on Flickr

Took the run up the A76 and aimed for Dumfries. Heres a message for the haters that complain no money is spent on the roads. Try this, its practically as smooth as ANYTHING you will sample in France, and has a few decent turns, but the C classes raison de etre is something tighter and more challenging.

My pal gave me a tenner for some fuel in Dumfies, cruised up the A74M back to Glasgow.

Not bad....

_DSC0192 by [email protected], on Flickr

Great thread as ever! Looks a little chilly in places :)

Funny old month March, was quite warm the day before. I had a belting tour this time last year, was hot too. I hope to repeat the exercise in a week or so's time.

Thats the most snow I've encountered this year on a drive.

Do you not find the C to be wholly more competant than the 211? My previous 211's were always a bit soft and lacking by comparison the the C?

I do suspect your old E was better than any of mine as you had the suspension upgraded.

Having said that.. the adaptive damping on the F30 is just brilliant and I suspect very illegal speeds are possible on flowing A roads. Even in the snow over the peak district last sunday it was very surefooted.

redbaron said:
Do you not find the C to be wholly more competant than the 211? My previous 211's were always a bit soft and lacking by comparison the the C?

I do suspect your old E was better than any of mine as you had the suspension upgraded.

Having said that.. the adaptive damping on the F30 is just brilliant and I suspect very illegal speeds are possible on flowing A roads. Even in the snow over the peak district last sunday it was very surefooted.

It's much more competent than even my 211 sport on the Bilstein. Feels like a rwd golf GTi to drive. It's when you press on in the narrow roads the capability difference comes out. On the sweepers there wouldn't be much in it. The firmer dampers and smaller size plus 200kg make it all drive nicer.

I've hooned this car on the Peak District. I chinned my 211 on the snake pass. Wouldn't happen in the 204

Snake Pass is an interesting road... pal of mine used to commute over there in a 211... all 4 dampers were shot and done under warranty at 30k :)

Great photos and story as always Steve - I do love your Scottish jaunts.

If I am up that way, where time permits, I take the old road between Greenock and Largs through the Brisbane Glen - not as enjoyable to drive, but very spectacular. It used to be a great way to finish off my journey to my parents who lived in Largs.

Off up to Glen Lyon for a week in less than a month - looking forward to that :)

Fantastic pics as usual Steve .

The only thing I might have stopped to include would have been some pics of the Weymss Bay railway station - the architecture of that building never fails to amaze me , and I have taken the train down there before just to gawp at it :)

Pontoneer said:
Fantastic pics as usual Steve .

The only thing I might have stopped to include would have been some pics of the Weymss Bay railway station - the architecture of that building never fails to amaze me , and I have taken the train down there before just to gawp at it :)

I wish I had. The two passengers would agree too. Ill be back though and do it then under more interesting light.

Ted said:
Great photos and story as always Steve - I do love your Scottish jaunts.

If I am up that way, where time permits, I take the old road between Greenock and Largs through the Brisbane Glen - not as enjoyable to drive, but very spectacular. It used to be a great way to finish off my journey to my parents who lived in Largs.

Off up to Glen Lyon for a week in less than a month - looking forward to that :)

If your headed to Glen Lyon don't rule out a trip to Loch Rannoch and Taymouth (Kenmore) plus Loch Tummel etc

Ooooh, thank you. Been over Rannoch moor many a time, but this area is a little off my usual track.
Trouble is, Mrs Ted likes to walk. I love to drive.

Lovely photos, you picked one of my favorite roads in the A713, there are many great drives between the A77 south and the A74 like the A70, A713, A714 and A77 itself but more importantly all the little roads that connect them up. I spent many hours exploring them in the SL... good times.. :thumb:

Edit ... nearly forgot.... the A76 too...

A70 is a scream, love it. A713 has to be one of my favourites, I'll be back for sure :D

Really good test of a car.

Agree with you Kebabish on Vicy road is my first and usually only choice for a good curry along with loads of ice cream to wash it down from next door.

c_200k said:
Agree with you Kebabish on Vicy road is my first and usually only choice for a good curry along with loads of ice cream to wash it down from next door.

Amazing isn't it. Good for the money too.

Perfect pre or post tour feast.

Amazing isn't it. Good for the money too.

Perfect pre or post tour feast.

definetly is mate

The other half loves the mix grill kebab thing and my favourite is Garlic chilli chicken with 2 naan's, i always skip the starter's then finish it off with some Fererro Rocher ice cream and raspberry sauce:D

i feel like going right now lol

c_200k said:
definetly is mate

The other half loves the mix grill kebab thing and my favourite is Garlic chilli chicken with 2 naan's, i always skip the starter's then finish it off with some Fererro Rocher ice cream and raspberry sauce:D

i feel like going right now lol

Try taking down the mixed grill.

I had lamb gost last time and pishwari nan. Proper feast.

Try taking down the mixed grill.

I had lamb gost last time and pishwari nan. Proper feast.

I'v seen the mrs try her best to take the mix grill down and i have to step in:p

I could take any curry right now bloody starvin, pishwari naan is a winner too

scrap it i'll take anything of their menu, too much choice now i'v started thinking about food

c_200k said:
I'v seen the mrs try her best to take the mix grill down and i have to step in:p

I could take any curry right now bloody starvin, pishwari naan is a winner too

scrap it i'll take anything of their menu, too much choice now i'v started thinking about food

The mixed grills a beast though. But the lamb chops and kebabs are as good as it gets. This threads got me thinking I need to hit kebabish the now

Ill be back!!!

Ill be back!!!

Probably via Ecclefechan and Clachnacuddin

With lots of photos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom